BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my 2018 B in the shop today to have the PIA post transmission recall oil leak fixed. They had a leftover silver 2019 GT. Love the color combo. Was surprised at how comfortable the riding position was. I am totally happy with my B and wasn't even considering a trade. But....... You know how it goes.
Trying to decide if it's worth it to trade. I guess the GT will effectively be two years old in the spring but I don't think has been any updates since then correct? The downside is that I would be giving up my 3yr extended warranty (that hasn't even kicked in yet) and I would be needing another Bren tune. Other accessories could be sold separately. My bike has 11000kms on it. Dealer offered to do the trade for $8K difference plus tax. I keep all accessories on mine. Thoughts?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Sell it on your own. IMHO 8K is rather low for a 2018. If it's 8K all in... I'd still check the difference in selling out right.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I did the same trade...I traded my 2018B on a 2019GT. Same $ deal as well. For me the GT is just a better fit then the B. The cases are removable, no longer is the issue on the highway being susceptible to bad air, as the GT tracks like its on rails. For myself it was enough of a improvement to bite the bullet. BTW, that is a fantastic color, mine is the all black. I also opted for the top case.
20200920_110301.jpg

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Personally, I absolutely love the looks of that black/silver/red GT Sport so the decision would be an easy one, for me. Your money, your call, though.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Sell it on your own. IMHO 8K is rather low for a 2018. If it's 8K all in... I'd still check the difference in selling out right.
I don't think the dealer was giving him 8k for the bike but asking for 8k in cash plus the bike in exchange for the 2019. Whether that is a good deal or not is certainly a question. It would depend on the MSRP difference and the options included.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree. I think 8k for a 2018B with 11kms on the clock is a little low, check NADA and get an idea what your bike is worth or check cycle trader and see what 2018B's with similar mileage are selling for. What is the dealership asking for the leftover GT? On the surface it's not a deal I think I would make unless the dealership ups their trade-in offer on your bike by another few grand or so. Also check your extended warranty, when I traded my 2014 GT in for a 2016 I was able to get reimbursed a portion of what I paid for the extended warranty.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is it his bike PLUS $8K or is it $8K for the trade value of his B? I read it as his bike plus $8K plus tax for the GT. When I bought my GA the GT retailed for several thousand more.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you will get reimbursed for the unused portion of the extended warranty.
This is interesting. I will drill onto it further. The dealer said the warranty was transferrable. Not refundable. They up the trade in value by $500 when I told him it had extended warranty. I got the bike in June of 2018 and bought the 3 year extended on top of the 3 years it came with so not even out of basic warranty yet.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did the same trade...I traded my 2018B on a 2019GT. Same $ deal as well. For me the GT is just a better fit then the B. The cases are removable, no longer is the issue on the highway being susceptible to bad air, as the GT tracks like its on rails. For myself it was enough of a improvement to bite the bullet. BTW, that is a fantastic color, mine is the all black. I also opted for the top case. View attachment 147319
Interesting that the numbers are the same. Appreciate your comments on the tracking. My bike weaves a bit for sure and although it isn't a big concern it would be nice to not have to deal with it all. I have a shad 58x top box so I think I would just keep that. My other half really likes the back support. The only negative for me for the GT today was the seat height. I run low to the ground with a 30"inseam and couldn't touch flat footed atleast with the stock seat that was on it (option sheet show the seat as the low seat). This bike is pretty well optioned with the premium package, sport package, safety package. Yes I really like that black storm, glacier silver, red stripe combo. I have had 3 different black only bikes including my current B and I find it an exhausting color to own and beautiful to look at when you don't.

·
Upside Down
1,650 Posts
This is interesting. I will drill onto it further. The dealer said the warranty was transferrable. Not refundable. They up the trade in value by $500 when I told him it had extended warranty. I got the bike in June of 2018 and bought the 3 year extended on top of the 3 years it came with so not even out of basic warranty yet.
Remember the numbers are just that they give you more as a trade but add it to the bike you buy or they can discount the bike you buy by taking less and lose some of their margin on the bike they are selling you. DEo some research on the average selling price for a bike with the miles you have on your bike and then do the same with the one you wish to buy. Meet them somewhere in the middle, the dealers always want to make as much as they can so haggle and don't except the first price unless you know it is a bargain. Last of all always be prepared to walk away the dealerships are not doing you any favour by selling you a bike, you are doing them a favour by taking a bike off their hands that is getting older and harder to sell.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I own the GT, but have ridden both, and guess it depends on what type riding you do. If you take long rides, like my group did once a year we'd all hit the road and do 5-6k miles in a couple of weeks then the GT is easily the better bike for that, the B is more an around town bike to me. I got it on the highway hit 70 mph, and was already unhappy with it. 8K sounds like a big hit money wise to me sell the B privately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts