BMW K1600 Forum banner

Good deal?

7K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  steve.med 
#1 · (Edited)
I had my 2018 B in the shop today to have the PIA post transmission recall oil leak fixed. They had a leftover silver 2019 GT. Love the color combo. Was surprised at how comfortable the riding position was. I am totally happy with my B and wasn't even considering a trade. But....... You know how it goes.
Trying to decide if it's worth it to trade. I guess the GT will effectively be two years old in the spring but I don't think has been any updates since then correct? The downside is that I would be giving up my 3yr extended warranty (that hasn't even kicked in yet) and I would be needing another Bren tune. Other accessories could be sold separately. My bike has 11000kms on it. Dealer offered to do the trade for $8K difference plus tax. I keep all accessories on mine. Thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
I did the same trade...I traded my 2018B on a 2019GT. Same $ deal as well. For me the GT is just a better fit then the B. The cases are removable, no longer is the issue on the highway being susceptible to bad air, as the GT tracks like its on rails. For myself it was enough of a improvement to bite the bullet. BTW, that is a fantastic color, mine is the all black. I also opted for the top case.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

#17 ·
I did the same trade...I traded my 2018B on a 2019GT. Same $ deal as well. For me the GT is just a better fit then the B. The cases are removable, no longer is the issue on the highway being susceptible to bad air, as the GT tracks like its on rails. For myself it was enough of a improvement to bite the bullet. BTW, that is a fantastic color, mine is the all black. I also opted for the top case. View attachment 147319
Interesting that the numbers are the same. Appreciate your comments on the tracking. My bike weaves a bit for sure and although it isn't a big concern it would be nice to not have to deal with it all. I have a shad 58x top box so I think I would just keep that. My other half really likes the back support. The only negative for me for the GT today was the seat height. I run low to the ground with a 30"inseam and couldn't touch flat footed atleast with the stock seat that was on it (option sheet show the seat as the low seat). This bike is pretty well optioned with the premium package, sport package, safety package. Yes I really like that black storm, glacier silver, red stripe combo. I have had 3 different black only bikes including my current B and I find it an exhausting color to own and beautiful to look at when you don't.

#5 ·
Personally, I absolutely love the looks of that black/silver/red GT Sport so the decision would be an easy one, for me. Your money, your call, though.

#15 ·
This is interesting. I will drill onto it further. The dealer said the warranty was transferrable. Not refundable. They up the trade in value by $500 when I told him it had extended warranty. I got the bike in June of 2018 and bought the 3 year extended on top of the 3 years it came with so not even out of basic warranty yet.

#19 ·
I own the GT, but have ridden both, and guess it depends on what type riding you do. If you take long rides, like my group did once a year we'd all hit the road and do 5-6k miles in a couple of weeks then the GT is easily the better bike for that, the B is more an around town bike to me. I got it on the highway hit 70 mph, and was already unhappy with it. 8K sounds like a big hit money wise to me sell the B privately.

Reactions: Geoff_3
#21 ·
Call the extended warranty company. If it hasn't kicked in yet you should get all your buy in money back or they may just transfer it all to your new purchase. Don't trust the dealer on this call the warranty company direct.

The warranty is no good to the dealer because it can only be transferred to another individual not to dealers. He may try and cash it in somehow which would give him more than the $500 he offered you.

I've had extended warranties on 2 different bikes and got a prorated amount back each time. Prorated because I was into the warranty period on both bikes.

#22 ·
The term is unearned premium, they should refund all the premium, since they never had any risk. The dealer makes a nice profit, don't expect them to be helpful. When I traded my Harley, they insisted on my visiting the dealer to get a refund of my wheel & tire coverage. They originally said they would email the cancelation document, never did and got an extra month's consideration due to the delay.

#23 ·
The unearned premium check for my first bike came directly to me (2004). On my second bike the unearned premium check went to the dealer who then passed it on to me (2018).

#24 ·
If I'm working the deal correctly in my head, the dealership is selling you the GT for $26,000 (for number's sake) with a trade-in value of your B at $18,000 (for number's sake). This nets a trade difference of $8000. If the GT is $24,000, your trade is worth $16,000. You MIGHT get more selling it yourself, but then you have to deal with the lookie Lou's, the Low-Ballers, and the "I'm coming to look at it, be there at X o'clock!" and they never show. You spend the day waiting for nothing. Your money, your decision. I traded a 2005 LT instead of selling it myself for the reasons I've listed. Of course I didn't get as much as I hoped, but the deal was easy and was an acceptable amount in my eyes. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

#25 ·
My current extended warranty is With BMW Motorrad. Talked to the dealer again today and told them to call BMW directly. I bought the current B new in June 2018 and it had 3 year factory warranty on it so definitely not into the 3 year extended yet. I will Likely do this deal if they will just agree to port the extended warranty to the new bike. If I don't like the answer on the warranty I will call the mothership myself.

#29 ·
Congrats on the GT. That color combination is one of my favorites along with the Blue Planet Metallic Option 719.

Hopefully the trans recall goes smoothly on your new GT. Mine had an oil leak as well, but my dealer traced it to a gasket and repaired it. No issues now. Nice stain on my garage floor though...

#32 ·
Got my new GT home today. I went to mount the license plate and noticed a couple extra holes on the bottom of the rear fender and an exposed nut that looks like it should be covered. Is there something missing here?

#35 ·
There's someone on here that makes some different decorative pieces to cover that oval part with the 2 holes, or I bought one of those domed flag stickers and cut it to shape to cover the holes.

#36 ·
I made a frame with sheet metal that I mount my plate to and then mount the whole thing to the bike since the holes are never perfect for bike plates. I've had it on all my K bikes.

#38 ·
Here is a couple pics of the new machine. I will take more shortly. First accessory installed was the Dusak rack. Big shout out to Dan. This rack is sweet. Very solid, well made, great finish on the powder coat. Now working on a modified plate to mount my shad 58x. I will use the Dusak bottom plate and spacers. Haveeasured it up. The top plate is already cut. Just need to mark, drill and tap it and find a powder coater.
Duke

#40 ·
Here is a couple pics of the new machine. I will take more shortly. First accessory installed was the Dusak rack. Big shout out to Dan. This rack is sweet. Very solid, well made, great finish on the powder coat. Now working on a modified plate to mount my shad 58x. I will use the Dusak bottom plate and spacers. Haveeasured it up. The top plate is already cut. Just need to mark, drill and tap it and find a powder coater.
Duke View attachment 148277 View attachment 148278 View attachment 148279
Looking at your second picture
I didn't think real bikers drank lite beer 😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.