BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Super Moderator
K1600GA
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was weighing the relative value of buying a lift myself (something I know I need) and taking the time to replace at least one coil on my '18 B. I have students now so my time is constrained; I called Max's to see when I could get the bike in. Late July is the earliest. 馃槻

Well, I guess I am buying a lift today. I have a coil and sparkplug handy. I've been putting off reading the codes only because I know what the problem is - just not the extent (more than one?).

I think I need a second bike now.

Premium Member
That is exactly what led me to purchasing my Handy Lift. Now that I have one, I don't know how I made it through life without one. I cannot imagine changing a coil without a lift. The project was really not that bad. However, I have had the dreaded oil in the airbox ever since I did the coil replacement. When I get some time, I am going to strip her down again and see if anything is amiss with the air tube. I do not think I damaged it during the process, but obviously something changed while I was in there. No oil in airbox prior to the coil change. Now, oil in airbox. Not a lot, but there shouldn't be any.
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Super Moderator
K1600GA
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the sparkplug as a ready-spare in case of the existing one is fouled. But as I say it out loud, if I have the bike apart and the coils are replaced as needed, it is a good time to replace the plugs too. The bike has 40k on it.

International Man of Mystery

Registered
Is that a typo, or are planning on replacing only one sparkplug?
When my dealer replaced my #4 coil last month he also replaced the one spark plug. When I questioned, he said it was standard procedure to replace the plug and coil together.

Registered
2013 GTL
When my dealer replaced my #4 coil last month he also replaced the one spark plug. When I questioned, he said it was standard procedure to replace the plug and coil together.
Depending on the mileage on the existing spark plugs, it would be prudent to replace all the plugs.

Registered
That is exactly what led me to purchasing my Handy Lift. Now that I have one, I don't know how I made it through life without one. I cannot imagine changing a coil without a lift. The project was really not that bad. However, I have had the dreaded oil in the airbox ever since I did the coil replacement. When I get some time, I am going to strip her down again and see if anything is amiss with the air tube. I do not think I damaged it during the process, but obviously something changed while I was in there. No oil in airbox prior to the coil change. Now, oil in airbox. Not a lot, but there shouldn't be any. View attachment 166628
View attachment 166629
View attachment 166627
It could be my eyes but it looks like you have the weight of the bike supported on the exhaust?

Registered
I believe he is doing what my best friend and LT guru does, that being, the weight is on the centerstand with a jack under the exhaust (oil sump on the LT) to keep the bike from tipping forward.

I think you need a couple more Amsoil stickers and maybe a sign or two! :D

Reactions: capav8r

Registered
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Super Moderator
K1600GA
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I bought my lift, assembled it, and put the bike on it. I scanned for codes ( finally ) and found no discernable engine faults. So cleared all codes and reset the service flag (as I needed to anyway). The service light (white) is cleared and the bike fired right up.

BUT; I know what I felt and I felt a cylinder bog down. The bogging was intermittent and would alternate between correctly running and bogged in an instant. Coils. But no engine code? If the plug was the problem, the engine may not detect that, yes? The plugs have 40k on them. Do plugs pop in and out of working?

Advice por favor: @Gunnert @Prince

Registered
They often don鈥檛 throw a code. You may (may) be able to tell which coil is failing by checking the plugs. One may be slightly discoloured compared the the other five. Intermittent faults are a swine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts