BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Very nice! I do the same with the GTL. From one up (no bags) to two up (panniers, top case, arm rests) in under 3 minutes. You will really enjoy that extra bit of practical versatility and the ability to just change the look.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Looks so great fellas!

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only bought part is the 58mm 3D Roundel. The rest I fabricated myself. I made two aluminum blocks that bolt on after you remove the "H" bracket. These reconnect the grab bars to the frame and give the 1/16 aluminum plate something to be bolted too. It takes less than 10 minutes to change it over including gathering a few tools. Without doing anything with the wiring you get a fault light for the brake light but it goes off as soon as you let off the brake. It doesn't need reset with a GS-911, like I was afraid of. At first I temporarily wired in a LED witch did fool the computer into thinking the top box was still there but I was afraid of one of the clips coming lose and shorting something out. So I have been running it without the LED and putting up with the light on the dash when I touch the brake. I will take some more pictures and post tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I fabricated my rear panel from a piece of sheet metal and covered it with vinyl. My local BMW auto dealer gave me a couple of adhesive BMW Roundels. I think they are for center caps on rims.

I made an led light harness to plug into the factory barrel to keep the “Bulb Out Fault” from coming on. But, like op says, it comes on and goes out every time you hit the brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
The top case is easily removed. Two electrical connectors under the seat. Four T-40 Torx bolts under the top case carpet. You remove the H-frame by removing four T-40 Torx bolts and two T-30 Torx bolts in the grab handles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some more pictures of how I did it. Within these pages there is some great information on how to do this yourself. Here is some dimensions on the flat plate before it is bent. The tricky part is getting the holes in the blocks located correctly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Looks awesome

I like the looks. Sadly, those of us without the skills or know-how to do what you've done can only dream and drool. :serious:

When you decide to mass-produce a few and sell them, let me know!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are some more pictures of how I did it. Within these pages there is some great information on how to do this yourself. Here is some dimensions on the flat plate before it is bent. The tricky part is getting the holes in the blocks located correctly.
Your bike looks awesome John, you obviously are very skilled in customization and farkling. Was good seeing both you and Mary in Mt. Morris yesterday.

John G.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts