BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm still allowed to post here, even though I'm not quite an owner (yet).

Might be sacrilege but did any K1600 owners consider getting an R1250 RT before plumping for their bikes? My current thoughts lead me strongly towards a low mileage 2017>> K1600GT/ GTL; my sole concern is whether the refinement benefits (both physically & aurally) of the K1600 outweigh ('scuse the pun) the obvious curb advantage of the RT (334 kg vs. 279kg, unladen, fully fuelled). 55kg is quite a difference, after all - albeit it's all slung down low, so....

Of course, I wouldn't normally need to post here to find out; I'd just whizz down to my local dealer. Blame the lockdown from precluding me from doing just that.

Thanks a lot,
Hedge

·
Registered
255 Posts
My opinion there's no substitute for a test ride if you are not familiar with the product. Despite the current shutdown, try to find a way to ride each of these bikes before the purchase decision. Maybe you can put off the purchase temporarily until this situation improves?
One additional factor : what have you been riding previously ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was looking at an RT before I purchased my K1600GT. Took a test ride on the RT and thought ‘meh’. Then the dealer suggested I ride the K. Holy cow, what an engine. And so smooth!! I was sold and haven’t looked back. Ride before you decide. Your emotions will lead you one way or the other.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You say you’re so concerned is whether the K 1600 refinements are worth the weight difference? Are you looking to dead lift or bench press the motorcycle? Neither are going to be race track bikes. The weight difference to me is insignificant but then again I am what most people would consider an extremely large man. When I sat on the RT it seemed to be more impacted by my weight then the K 1600. At the time my weight was approaching 300 pounds. If you are a much smaller man, then maybe the weight difference is more significant? I can tell you that the K 1600 does not feel heavier than my previous Kawasaki concourse even though the weight difference is like the same as what you’re asking about.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

I currently ride an Ariel Ace & an R1200 GSA. Both are reasonably heavy, even the Ace. I'm 5 ft 9" & weigh 75kg (165 pounds). Fair to say that I ain't gonna be impacting either bike too much, whatever one I swing a leg over.

I really need to do test rides, know that much. With the current situation here in the UK, that ain't gonna be happening for weeks yet. But I won't buy before I ride, so..

Cheers guys,
Hedge

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
The RT and the K bikes are ridden differently in my opinion (having had both). Where I would run out the R bike's engine often, trading RPMs for low torque, the K bike has an F-ton of both; you can easily lock it in 2nd gear and 1500 RPMS and work a parking lot at 15 mph. The engine is amazing.

That said, the R bike is easier to throw over, it is fun to ride in the twisties and it is simple.

I am very happy with my GA. I would have an R bike as a second, but I have more faith in a long haul ride on the K bike.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was looking at an RT before I purchased my K1600GT. Took a test ride on the RT and thought ‘meh’. Then the dealer suggested I ride the K. Holy cow, what an engine. And so smooth!! I was sold and haven’t looked back. Ride before you decide. Your emotions will lead you one way or the other.
I had the exact same experience as racer1735. I also test rode a Honda ST and a Triumph Trophy. IMO, the K1600 blew them all away. I have not had a reason to change my opinion at all.
Of course, there are many riders who love the RT, so without being able to ride both it's really hard.
good luck, enjoy

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was one bike removed from a long-running love affair with am ST1300. And was also concidering a Triumph Trophy ST. The K1600 was a grand slam. As soon as my wife and I finished out test ride, she said ‘you’ve got to get that bike!’

·
Registered
357 Posts
You know Hedge, if I were your stature I’d decide based on the type of riding I’d mostly be doing. The RT is a bit more “flickable” so if you see yourself riding in tighter twisties often, then I’d get the RT. The sweepers its a wash.... everywhere else, I’d pick the K. I say this bc even at my size I get tired throwing the bike back and forth after miles of twisties. I dunno - just some more random thoughts about the weight. I prefer the K engine by far over the RT. Again - my preference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hope I'm still allowed to post here, even though I'm not quite an owner (yet).

Might be sacrilege but did any K1600 owners consider getting an R1250 RT before plumping for their bikes? My current thoughts lead me strongly towards a low mileage 2017>> K1600GT/ GTL; my sole concern is whether the refinement benefits (both physically & aurally) of the K1600 outweigh ('scuse the pun) the obvious curb advantage of the RT (334 kg vs. 279kg, unladen, fully fuelled). 55kg is quite a difference, after all - albeit it's all slung down low, so....

Of course, I wouldn't normally need to post here to find out; I'd just whizz down to my local dealer. Blame the lockdown from precluding me from doing just that.

Thanks a lot,
Hedge
I have a 1200GS and a GTL. The GS has great suspension and is more nimble. If I’m going out on dirt, gravel or unimproved roads, that’s the one. If I’m on a longer ride or smoother pavement, the silky power, comfort and amenities favor the GTL. I say this to you, consider where you want to use it and how long your rides will be. There both excellent performers with different sweet spots.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main driver to me getting out of the GSA is its height (& not its weight). I’m a short arse. The seat height on the GSA is 33.5”. I’m up on the tip of my toes each time I stop. If I mistakenly try to put my foot down where there’s a drain, for instance, then there’s a wrestling match going on. I don’t really ride enough to gain confidence, either, I know that much. From research I think the seat heights on the K bikes can go as low as 29.5”.

As ever, I need to ride, to see. No point in flat footing when my knees are up behind my ears, after all.

Er indoors is up for coming on trips with me, all of a sudden. I ain’t taking her anywhere unless/ until I feel more confident about doing so. That’s also an additional benefit of comfort/ refinement; both K bikes are going to be way more comfortable than the GSA (whether its the shift cam 1250 or 1200 GSA). Plus, the engine comparison - from what I read & from the countless reviews I’ve watched online - is a slam dunk.

In terms of tours, I doubt we’ll ever be doing 300+ miles a day variants. But who knows. I reckon she could quite get into it all, knowing her. And I’ve plenty of solo tours I wanna do anyway - plus I’m gonna have more free time soon (C-19, allowing).

Cheers,
Hedge

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
In terms of tours, I doubt we’ll ever be doing 300+ miles a day variants. But who knows. I reckon she could quite get into it all, knowing her. And I’ve plenty of solo tours I wanna do anyway - plus I’m gonna have more free time soon (C-19, allowing).

Cheers,
Hedge
I think your statement above is more important than the weight factor. The K bikes are meant for distance riding albeit open straight roads or long winding ones through the mountains. I've only been to London and the surrounding area but can only imagine that if you stay on the island 90% of the time the RT would be a more comfortable bike both physically and mentally. The newer RTs have a lot of the features found on the K bikes, shift assist and such and of course they can do "the distance" very well also.

The K bikes definitely have the Power factor but again the newer RTs aren't that much slower. In fact I had a rolling start race against my friend Duane's 2016 RT and after the initial jump from my bike he hung right on my rear fender up to over 100 mph. Smoothness is another factor and there is no getting around the difference between a twin and a 6 cylinder.

You might seek out a local BMW club and set up a trial ride on one of their bikes. We are a friendly bunch. Enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had 3 RT's and them moved to the K16 in 2012. I had 3 of them as well and have now returned to a 2019 R1250RT. I enjoyed my time on the K16 and was glad that I had my time on them. I am also glad to move back to the RT's. The K16 is a big, heavy bike. Every where you go you have to be conscious of stopping, camber on road, gravel etc. The reverse gear helps. I remember once, on an European tour the guide took a wrong turn and we ended up on a gravel track up a mountain. We had to turn and go back, it took three of us to get the K16 turned.

Both bikes are excellent and as the guys have said you need to book a test ride,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Interesting. I find the k easy on dirt and gravel. I got stuck on a dirt/gravel
Road for what seemed like 100 miles out west in the mountains in Wyoming. That got old but the bike did fine rolling along at 45 mph in rain mode.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Ok Hedge: my 2 cents worth, We ride mostly 2 up and loaded for touring and having gone from a 15 "RT" to "16" GTLE, the RT even with the Electronic Suspension albeit much improved from our previous RT's still felt like it was all it wanted on moderately rough roads. In contrast the GTLE takes it all in stride and never looks back, it just feels like its much more able to handle the touring load in addition the GTL feels less cramped for 2 up riding, If I rode by myself only I would probably prefer the RT just because it is less overall bike to handle and the power on the "14's" and newer is impressive for a boxer and I think the wind protection is a bit better on the RT. BUT: I (like most others on this forum) have developed an addiction to the sound and power of the big "6" and don't see us going back, it's just too **** fun to ride!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I looked at the RT while shopping for K16, I took it for a long ride then brought the wife along. I got off the bike thinking it's alright but wasn't wowed. The wife said no way, too much buzz.
Found a K16GT within a few weeks and knew immediately I made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Have seen an Atom state side, but never an Ace. The VFR (Ace motor, right??) press releases are what piqued my interest in getting back on a bike as I was a Honda guy all the way. But, then the K16 hit the market and I couldn't get it out of my head. Salesman tried to persuade me to consider an RT. Maybe I did for a month or two. Then I took a GTL for a test ride. It took a couple years but I ended up owning a GT. Both great bikes. GT(L)s probably better for 2-up riding because they're roomier than RTs. I don't think price difference is all that great when the RT gets loaded with options. So if it were me, I'd pick the one that really stoked my fire. I just believe I need to be passionate about the bike I ride. Lots of passion for both platforms. Best of luck deciding and cutting a deal on one or the other.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah the Ace has the VFR 1200 engine in it. It’s a heavy old lump but the bike rides beautifully. Very planted. It’s more a piece of art than a bike, from some angles. Beautifully put together.

I’m defo leaning towards the K bike, out of the two (& the GT over the GTL). I just hope I feel the same, come the time I actually manage to sling a leg over them. That engine sounds epic - & uniquely smooth, strong.

Odd that the gear assist-pro works fine on the K1600’s but not on the RT. Every review of the latter mentions how clunky the shifts are. V strange, considering how similar the two systems are (if not identical?).

Cheers,
Hedge

1 - 20 of 27 Posts