BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After being a staunch Honda advocate about three years ago, I traded in my ST1100 for a K1200 GT SE and was hooked but I found the paddle indicators downright dangerous, often stabbing the left hand indicator instead of the horn馃檮

I went looking at a K1300GT but was drawn to a couple of K1600's, I went to the showroom a week or so later with my wife, who thankfully is my biking companion, she saw the pillion seat on the 16's and suggested we get it! I only went looking but hey, if the wife wife suggests we get it, who would say no?

So, I'm now chuffed to own a 2014 K1600GT, 20K miles with a full BMW dealership service 馃槉

Now, there are a few blemishes that need sorting such as a scraped right hand pannier, a rusting bracket on the pillion footrest and some corroded torx screws around the front discs and calipers and a corroded brake hose banjo which I need to sort. The biggest problem I have found is the paint is peeling quite badly on the rear wheel which worries me a little as that along with the other rust/corrosion would indicate a not so careful owner where I am quite particular.

However, the price was right, the faults I have found are fixable but since spending a few days with it in the garage, it has thrown up a few thought provoking issues -

Which GPS do I get for it?
I used a Zumo 595 on the K1200GT which wont fit this bike so that is now a 拢500 white elephant!

I used a hard wired Autocom system on the previous bike, the K1600 has the Garmin mount behind the blanking plate and a USB/AUX cable in the lower RHS storage bin but is the cabling live, how do I connect the autocom into the bikes wiring etc?

Ah well, too many questions so early into ownership but the 14 miles I drove it back in the dark from the dealers, I love it!

Cheers all 馃嵑

Rob

Registered
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new steed. I moved from the K16 to a R1250RT in December, but I have had K16's since 2012. Back then I used an autocom as well.

The autocom will go under the passenger seat and will be connected into the rear light/top box power. You will need to tap into the supply. Have you got a radio on the bike, if so, you will need to tap into the BMW radio if you want to pick it up on the Autocom. There are instructions for doing all this on the web or this site.

I doubt if the Zumo will fit into the BMW cradle, I used a BMW NAV V and then a Nav VI on mine. You should look at Ebay for a Nav V.

You should seriously think of moving from Autocom, I used one from 2003-2018 and would swear by them, but I have a Shoei Neotech II helmet now with a Sena SRL headset. It is superb and a doddle to setup.

Registered
Welcome along - enjoy the new ride.

Sat Nav - it may be nice to have a BMW Nav V or VI in the cradle as intended, but it's not compulsory. There are several mount options around that will accept your Z595 - just search on google. The correct Nav units appear occasionally on here, but you may have more success via other BMW enthusiast forums such as ... www.ukgser.com

Just a word of caution - you may be aware already but do make sure you understand the oil level check procedure, explained fully in the Rider's Manual, as it is so easy to overfill inadvertently.

Registered
Welcome Rob.

Last year, after more than 25 years on Honda Pan-European's I swapped from an ST1300 to a K1600GT. You're going to love it :tb

I also moved from an Autocom intercom to Sena SRL's and second @DavidMcK 's comment: audio quality is superior, and the lack of connection to the bike is liberating. It's great to be able to have a conversation with my wife when she goes to the till to pay in a fuel station while I'm outside with the bike, too ;)

If you do want to stick with the Autocom then you can use one of their bluetooth adaptors to allow the sat-nav to wirelessly communicate through your intercom if you wish.

Premium Member
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum, good to see you. This place is a mine of information and very friendly. Plenty of advice and opinion here to help you with ideas that will empty your wallet and enhance your enjoyment of the K-Bike. I've had My GT for just under a year but done a few Mods so far, so if I can be of any help just shout. That goes for anyone close by -always happy to share knowledge and learn.

If you are heading North on the M6 anytime give me a honk at Junction 22.

Enjoy the ride. :tb

Premium Member
Congrats and welcome!! Glad you're here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, I'm just South of Congleton and often out and about so I'll definitely give you hoot as I'm passing 馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcomes folks, very much appreciated, it looks like I am unable to post in the general sections so a cheeky question here - I want to fit a power distribution module that I had on my K1200GT but where and how do I pick up a fused live from as I don't want to interfere with the can-bus system. I stripped out the 12v socket under the battery but much to my surprise, it's a permanent live 馃檨

Cheers
Rob

Registered
Welcome to the forum.

I stripped out the 12v socket under the battery but much to my surprise, it's a permanent live
It's not a permanent live, but it can behave in a weird way. In brief, it will stay on for a minute or two after the bike is powered down, unless the draw on the battery is substantial, then it will stay live indefinitely. The reason it does this is related to using the socket for charging the battery. Check it again, but go for a cup of tea, and if it's gone off by the time you come back, you have a solution.

From other posts on the forum, I believe you can pick up a feed from the number plate light, the wire goes through the right hand canoe. Don't use the other rear lights, as they fade out rather than switch off directly.

Joe

Registered
Hi all,

After being a staunch Honda advocate about three years ago, I traded in my ST1100 for a K1200 GT SE and was hooked but I found the paddle indicators downright dangerous, often stabbing the left hand indicator instead of the horn馃檮

I went looking at a K1300GT but was drawn to a couple of K1600's, I went to the showroom a week or so later with my wife, who thankfully is my biking companion, she saw the pillion seat on the 16's and suggested we get it! I only went looking but hey, if the wife wife suggests we get it, who would say no?

So, I'm now chuffed to own a 2014 K1600GT, 20K miles with a full BMW dealership service 馃槉

Now, there are a few blemishes that need sorting such as a scraped right hand pannier, a rusting bracket on the pillion footrest and some corroded torx screws around the front discs and calipers and a corroded brake hose banjo which I need to sort. The biggest problem I have found is the paint is peeling quite badly on the rear wheel which worries me a little as that along with the other rust/corrosion would indicate a not so careful owner where I am quite particular.

However, the price was right, the faults I have found are fixable but since spending a few days with it in the garage, it has thrown up a few thought provoking issues -

Which GPS do I get for it?
I used a Zumo 595 on the K1200GT which wont fit this bike so that is now a 拢500 white elephant!

I used a hard wired Autocom system on the previous bike, the K1600 has the Garmin mount behind the blanking plate and a USB/AUX cable in the lower RHS storage bin but is the cabling live, how do I connect the autocom into the bikes wiring etc?

Ah well, too many questions so early into ownership but the 14 miles I drove it back in the dark from the dealers, I love it!

Cheers all 馃嵑

Rob
Hi Rob,
Not sure if you know or not but you can remove the round plastic BMW cap in the middle of the handle bars. You can screw in a ram ball/mount and then fix your sat nav.
Welcome to the forum and if you are interested in a UK group ride weekend look out for details in the next month or so on the UK regional section of the forum.
Hope you enjoy your K1600.
Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts