BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.Appreciate the feedback..on and offline.

After multiple reworks etc I took the new fuse supplied with the Cansmart (did not have another same style in hand) and used fine grit sandpaper on both prongs. Tested the hot side with a cheap tester and then cleaned fuse and put it back. Miraculously new brake LEDS and front pair of driving lights on and work as intended. The fix a first for me when useing a new fuse that looked as it should.
--------/
--------

15' with existing PDM60 6155585865 a USB outlet, a Denali horn and a suprabrake module to flash OEM brake lights on decel.
I have the CanSmart, pair of Denali lights and set of their B6 lights. After snapping all together and connecting the controller to the OEM Canbus at the rear and finally connecting power and ground to the controller I get no power to the devices. When plugged into the laptop it shows no canbus or battery found. After opening the package updated software was downloaded. When connected to laptop the software shows changes can be made but impossible to tell if really "chatting" with the controller until the devices can be energized. The unit does display a glowing constant green when connected to laptop but no indicators when connected to the bike.

Here is where the PDM possibly plays a role. Is it possible this fuze block being tapped into the OEM bike brake wiring causes an issue when trying to add a smart power controller? This is mostly a wag as these controllers are pretty straight forward so not sure what else may be root of the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Trigger wire circuit is my first thought. It needs to be on a continuous source, not a dimmable circuit.
I have both the Neutrino and the HexCan.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have both, John. Don’t power the Hex from PDM. Both have to go straight to battery. Not sure if that’s what you’ve done or not.

Additionally, bike needs to be off, w hex connected to battery to connect to laptop. A green light will flash on the unit if it’s hooked up to canbus properly - it’s part of the alarm.

If it’s not turning on with the bike, I would disconnect all your lights and just test each circuit for 12v w bike on first to make sure it’s connected to canbus properly and is getting power on signal.

Feel free to call or text too

Note: PDM60 is opposite: to program it, if it’s a programmable model, you have to disconnect positive from battery.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If the PDM is not powering up, but hex is, you can try using circuit 4 of Hex (almost always an always-on circuit in their configurations) as a trigger for PDM60.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks....the PDM is powered up as it should. The Cansmart is not connecting. I have checked each connection and all is tight. The CanSmart has no connection to the PDM but direct to hot and ground. Will go out and connect laptop again to double check the status of bike when connected to laptop. Have not noticed a flash at anytime but a steady green when connected. Whether bike is in on position or running no indicator light is on.

My reason for even mention the PDM was outside chance its interaction, slight draw on the OEM canbus might be impacting the use of the Cansmart.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
No chance the PDM is interfering if it is not connected to the hexezcan. I would not expect canbus traffic until you can get the ezcan to recognize battery voltage. Are you sure you have a solid ground?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Have you checked to see if your software and firmware is up to date the Hex-ezcan updated both recently.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for responses. On the software side the unit needed to be updared upon arrival but now shows as latest software. As it is grounded direct to the ground post as sop not sure if that could be the weak link. After again checking install and co nections its almost as if I must be missing the on switch somewhere!, or at least I wish that was it..lol.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
For it to be reading the canbus means it is 'on' at least to some extent. It believes that it is not hooked to the battery. At this point I would probably consider sticking a pin into the hot/ground wires as it enters the ezcan to ensure that it is indeed getting power and ground, if so it may be defective? Have you emailed them about your issue?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds good John. Agree the hex is reading canbus because you see temp and voltage. If it says it updated I believe it. The thing updates and saves programming updates super quick.

If you left the fuse in the hot line to battery maybe it blew? I could see the unit reading on the computer as it does, but not powering thing w real voltage if that blew.

Else I agree, start checking each circuit w multi meter. Though I recommend using an empty pigtail connected to each plug bc it’s easier than sticking the probes in an empty socket.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with you and Earthling in it sure seems to show a reading while at the same time indicating at the bottom no Canbus signal!! Will check fuse again. Not sure I have a pigtail i can sacrifice by cutting an exposing the hot but will look.

Sent vendor a few notes on this and latest they wanted to verify unit is connected correctly at the rear OEM harness.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Agree with you and Earthling in it sure seems to show a reading while at the same time indicating at the bottom no Canbus signal!! Will check fuse again. Not sure I have a pigtail i can sacrifice by cutting an exposing the hot but will look.

Sent vendor a few notes on this and latest they wanted to verify unit is connected correctly at the rear OEM harness.
I take a needle (don't tell the wife) and stick it through the insulation where I want to measure and use the multimeter on that. Its a quick way to verify continuity without cutting into your wire looms. The needle is small enough that I do not worry about the hole it leaves behind or you can always throw some liquid insulation or electrical tape over it if you are concerned (or hot glue or silicone or..)

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Yay! Glad you got it figured out!! Can be sooo frustrating when you do it and do it and do it again and everything should work....but it doesn’t. Glad it was an easy fix. Often it is! I think you’ll enjoy it from here. Best to ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts