BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed there bike did not come with the ground lighting. I have seen three GTL now that did not have it. I thought it came with the safety package. Even listed in my owners manual.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Has anyone else noticed there bike did not come with the ground lighting. I have seen three GTL now that did not have it. I thought it came with the safety package. Even listed in my owners manual.
It's a dealer-installed accessory, not a factory option. That's what the little superscript "OA" means next to the explanatory text in the manual.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
It was listed in the original list of equipment for the GTL.. Like the rear topbox LED light that we are now going to get for free.. I figure the Topbox LED light is more important to me so I am good with that!!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It was listed in the original list of equipment for the GTL.. Like the rear topbox LED light that we are now going to get for free.. I figure the Topbox LED light is more important to me so I am good with that!!
+1 -- I'm exactly with you.

But yes, you're not missing anything -- it was originally listed in the promotional materials, but not included in the list of equipment on the pre-orders we actually placed.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I had my dealer install this option. Not a big deal. But also not very expensive. You only notice the light when putting down the kickstand at night.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The toplight is free? Is there something that shows this as its a $240 option.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The top light is free for your friends to the south due to a error in the promotional materials for the Pre-Order bikes. In Canada you will have to pay for the light.
The ground is not very bright I would not waste my money on it again.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I'm going to install my own ground and motor lighting. I can turn it on and off at will. After reading irie4u comments I am not going to have dealer install the option lighting if it only comes on when kick stand is going down.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Works fine for me. In a lite area, it's of no value but in very dark gravel parking lots it's a nice to have. Half as bright as the access lamps on my 4x4 mirrors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw your post regarding the top case light. I has assumed the top case light came with the bike, but when I got my bike, it did not have one. Do I understand that BMW will fit it now for the asking, or is this something that I would have to wrangle about with my local dealer? It would be nice to have becasue I think it makes the bike much more visible from the rear.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Ground Lighting 2nd it

Works fine for me. In a lite area, it's of no value but in very dark gravel parking lots it's a nice to have. Half as bright as the access lamps on my 4x4 mirrors.
I had it installed too. I like it and it wasn't that expensive for a BMW accessory. Adds a little touch to an already nice bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I saw your post regarding the top case light. I has assumed the top case light came with the bike, but when I got my bike, it did not have one. Do I understand that BMW will fit it now for the asking, or is this something that I would have to wrangle about with my local dealer? It would be nice to have becasue I think it makes the bike much more visible from the rear.

Brian,
Pre order bikes did not come with top lights. The original discription of the preorders from BMW said they would come with one but was later deleted. Some of our members held their feet to the fire and BMW said they will retrofit the lights to the preorder bikes. I had a light on order from the begining with my dealer thou it has yet to come in. I'm not sure if your dealer will automatically get the light, but it sounded like they would. Give your dealer a call and ask it can't hurt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The ground light is poor, its the same as the light in the top box. COmes on when you use the ignition.

Anyone come up with any ideas on how to add lights to make this ground lighting brighter?

I was hoping for something like I have on the car, i.e. it actually light up the floor usefully so you can see a couple of meters around the bike.

The wiring is already there for those who haven't fitted it, I watched my dealer fit it.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I would like to have something that is more of a flood and much brighter. Unless I am in a very dark area I do not see the glow from the light.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FWIW, I installed some very inexpensive white LED floods into the bottom of both sides of the fairing on my LT... The lights were arranged in kind of a "J" shape so that I could see exactly where I was putting my feet down, where the kickstand would sit, and where the feet of the center stand would touch down. This worked much better than the OEM incandescent lights mounted on the underside of the tip over wings which were kind of "vague".

I found it really useful at night to avoid sand/gravel/oil spots on parking lots, and when camping to find hard ground before deploying support.

I seem to remember the lamps, sockets, resistors and switch ran about $20.00 total, and it took me a few hours to install everything.

I have not explored the underside of 1600 fairings to see if this would work.

Here's a link to the picture that shows the level of illumination possible, in the image you can see the tip of the kickstand and one leg of the center stand:

(Click on slideshow to get a full page image)

landing light image - Ron K - Picasa Web Albums

1 - 20 of 59 Posts