BMW K1600 Forum banner

321 - 340 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just uploaded my stage 2 over lunch as well. As stated previously it revs a lot faster now; unfortunately, it's raining so I didn't test ride it yet....I can't wait to take it out.

Juan

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Report on 2018 GT.

Friends don't let friends ride with the stock tune.

I've been on the Stage 1 tune for a while now, and applied the Stage 2 today. We all know by now the advantages over the stock tune so I won't go into that. What I was testing for is the difference over the Stage 1 tune. Was it worth the money?

As required by Bren, I had BMW apply latest updates. I rode home with the stock tune. Yeck.

This morning I applied the Stage 2 tune. I'm in Cali with 91 octane prevailing, so I rode straight to the 76 with 101 octane. I added 1.4 gallons of 101 and topped off with 91. This approximated 93 octane. Being a work day, I went on a brief 13 mile ride.

I won't have a chance at a longer ride for a couple of weeks because of work and home commitments. Today's short ride wasn't enough to tell the difference. So far is feels great. I would describe it as crisp acceleration and off the line. But I'm not yet convinced a Stage 2 was money well spent when I already had the Stage 1.

Stay Tuned (was that a pun?)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
And that is what I tried to do. Like others I assumed I would get a up to date message once all of the updates were finished, so I kept hitting the update button. The second time updating the software is when I got the big old list of errors.

I'll uninstall it and try again.

And Yes, I did reboot the computer and try again. Same message.

Sent using Tapatalk
As a follow up, I installed this to an account on my Computer that didn't have Admin rights. Deleted this and moved to my Admin account and all is well. Updated with no issues.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: HOGSLYR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok. Guys who have the stage 2 tune on their bike. What temperature is your cooling fan coming on? It seems as though my fan is on at 185 degrees which means it never shuts off because the bike never drops below 187 degrees. Not sure if I like that or not. I worry about the longevity of the fan motor.

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Ok. Guys who have the stage 2 tune on their bike. What temperature is your cooling fan coming on? It seems as though my fan is on at 185 degrees which means it never shuts off because the bike never drops below 187 degrees. Not sure if I like that or not. I worry about the longevity of the fan motor.

What are your thoughts?

I mentioned that in my evaluation post. I think the fan is set to come on at too low a temp. Mine never got over 5 bars or 199 degrees, and the fan does not shut off. Today was 97 I'll let ya know what it does tonight in cooler temps.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,357 Posts
Surely the fan isn’t going to be on when you’re moving at a speed which will move more air through than the fan? Surely we’re only talking about being on all the time when stopped or moving slowly. At least I hope so.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Surely the fan isn’t going to be on when you’re moving at a speed which will move more air through than the fan? Surely we’re only talking about being on all the time when stopped or moving slowly. At least I hope so.
It will if the fan's established set point isn't reached to shut the fan off, it not it will continue to run. But your likely correct that if there is plenty of air flow over the radiator at speed the fan should shut off.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts

On a hot day it's always on. Last night when it was 80 degrees it actually cycled on/off

·
Registered
80 Posts
:):):clap: ok Bren stage 2 installed and short test ride completed. All I can say is wow I did not know what I was missing. It made a huge difference in the way the bike runs. Fan did come on at 6 bars and moved temp gauge down to 5 bars but never got low enough to shut off the fan. Of course I was almost home by that time so it might not have had enough time. It is mid 70s today but I have never seen my temp below 5 bars while riding that I can remember. Now it is time to start looking at the next farkle to buy.:grin:

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
but I have never seen my temp below 5 bars while riding that I can remember.
If you ever do see your temperature gauge drop below 5 bars with the engine running (after reaching that point) then it's time for a new thermostat. I guarantee you will never ride in cold enough ambient temps to bring the temperature gauge below five bars providing your thermostat is functioning properly.

Reactions: Megawatt155

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Guys,

Just quick question. Can anyone remember the file size of the MYGFile that you sent to Bren? Mine was only about 8.68KB but got a 3.4MB file back.

Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
That is right around the numbers that I had also.
Thanks Megawatt155, that's reassured me. Just need to find time to upload it to the bike.

·
1,357 Posts
Trying to download from my ECU to device. How do I know which ECU I have? I would assume that between 17.2, an 17.2.4, the latter would have to be for a newer bike, but I also know what happens when we assume, and with older BMWs, there were sometimes running two different suppliers for the same model year, so....

The sticker on the OBD cord has no such information, so do I have to unscrew all the right tupperware/covers to get down to the unit itself? Somewhere in the GS-911 data maybe?

Something easier I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Trying to download from my ECU to device. How do I know which ECU I have? I would assume that between 17.2, an 17.2.4, the latter would have to be for a newer bike, but I also know what happens when we assume, and with older BMWs, there were sometimes running two different suppliers for the same model year, so....

The sticker on the OBD cord has no such information, so do I have to unscrew all the right tupperware/covers to get down to the unit itself? Somewhere in the GS-911 data maybe?

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/2442318-post202.html

·
Registered
80 Posts

I was wondering the same thing last night when I downloaded mine. I went with the 17.2 version and when I emailed it to bren I told them I was not sure which ECU version I had. They did not mention it in my email chain but I got back my new tunes and I uploaded the original and then the stage 2 as stated in their directions. Everything is working on my 2018 GA.

·
1,357 Posts
Emailed them. My first assumption was correct.

·
1,357 Posts

I was wondering the same thing last night when I downloaded mine. I went with the 17.2 version and when I emailed it to bren I told them I was not sure which ECU version I had. They did not mention it in my email chain but I got back my new tunes and I uploaded the original and then the stage 2 as stated in their directions. Everything is working on my 2018 GA.
Hmm. Maybe just applies to the ‘19s.

·
1,357 Posts
Is it working "better"? If so, I missed @StephenV's link before posting my last, but it's more than great to know that yours is, even with a '17+ bike.

I am now waiting, as I hooked mine up to the ol' GS-911, and the handheld twice, and forgot to turn down my two sets of Denali lights, so even though everything seems fine, the Optimate charger now says it's gone into the mode of trying to "save" my battery, so I shut-'er-down for today, out of an abundance of caution, since I won't have a chance to ride until next week, anyway. *sigh*.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it working "better"? If so, I missed @StephenV's link before posting my last, but it's more than great to know that yours is, even with a '17+ bike.

I am now waiting, as I hooked mine up to the ol' GS-911, and the handheld twice, and forgot to turn down my two sets of Denali lights, so even though everything seems fine, the Optimate charger now says it's gone into the mode of trying to "save" my battery, so I shut-'er-down for today, out of an abundance of caution, since I won't have a chance to ride until next week, anyway. *sigh*.
Either it is working just fine with the 17.2 or bren changed the version when they sent it back to me. Which I would guess would be easy for them to do since they have everyone's ECU versions. At least I hope so lol

321 - 340 of 489 Posts