BMW K1600 Forum banner

441 - 460 of 489 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I eventually gave up with my Brentune, managed to load the Stage 1 or Stage 2, noticed the improvement in performance, however, the quickshift would not work and the engine bogged down when trying to shift at high power, we tried many things and a new programme but still the same, back to stock and all is well again.
I have returned the hand held for a partial refund, the box was apparently damaged in transit so got 20% less than i paid. The power would be nice but not at the expense of stock items not working, mine is a 2019 GT Sport. Hope you all have better luck

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I eventually gave up with my Brentune, managed to load the Stage 1 or Stage 2, noticed the improvement in performance, however, the quickshift would not work and the engine bogged down when trying to shift at high power, we tried many things and a new programme but still the same, back to stock and all is well again.
I have returned the hand held for a partial refund, the box was apparently damaged in transit so got 20% less than i paid. The power would be nice but not at the expense of stock items not working, mine is a 2019 GT Sport. Hope you all have better luck

Wow that sucks and is very strange, I have the exact same bike and it works great!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Wow that sucks and is very strange, I have the exact same bike and it works great!
I concur, I have a 2019 GT SPORT and the Bren tune has brought it alive. Quick shifter/shift assist pro works as slick as ever. I'm loving the new power profile.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Wish mine had worked out, both BRENTUNING and I have no Idea, there are 2 others on the forum that have had the same issue as me, (this only happens with wide open throttle above 7000 and try to shift)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Wish mine had worked out, both BRENTUNING and I have no Idea, there are 2 others on the forum that have had the same issue as me, (this only happens with wide open throttle above 7000 and try to shift)
I am one of the others that quick shift wont work 3rd to 4th gear over 7500 RPM's. They sent me a new file to test out that I just put in the bike tonight and hopefully can try out tomorrow. They asked me to load the stock file back in and make sure it was their tune which I did and of course the problem went away. Since I was taking bike in today for 12000 mile service I left the tune stock last weekend and 500 miles which I hated.
Hopefully this new test file will work but if the choice comes down to no tune of have to use the clutch under max power 3rd to 4th shift which obviously I dont do that often I will keep the tune..

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I am one of the others that quick shift wont work 3rd to 4th gear over 7500 RPM's. They sent me a new file to test out that I just put in the bike tonight and hopefully can try out tomorrow. They asked me to load the stock file back in and make sure it was their tune which I did and of course the problem went away. Since I was taking bike in today for 12000 mile service I left the tune stock last weekend and 500 miles which I hated.
Hopefully this new test file will work but if the choice comes down to no tune of have to use the clutch under max power 3rd to 4th shift which obviously I dont do that often I will keep the tune..

Does the quick shifter work normally with the stock tune? Sign of a shift fork issue? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Mine worked perfectly with the stock tune, but with the Bren stage 1 or stage 2 it didnt work under load as soon as put back to stock its fine

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I did sneak out this morning and the new file fixed the problem! went way out in the boonies where I could play all I wanted and did about 6 shifts all the way up to just short of redline and all were perfect with the quick shifter. Was even able to do same 4th to 5th (about 120 mph) and no issues. No, I didnt try it 5th to 6th..
Props to Bren for handling

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is one of my concerns as I live in Australia and not just a few hundred miles away to have any issues addressed. I am sure that Bren tune is great but from time to time the Dealerships will do software updates as they see the need to do them. My issue is being so far away then postage cost both ways and possibly Australian custom duties aka ( GST ) would be just some that would bother me. If there were a local dealership or authorized dealer that was here in Australia. I don't think I would be worried about any issues as the guys at Bren Tune seem to have great representation on what they do. So I would rather have a sightless responsive throttle and know I am safe. After a while, you don't realize that that is doughy unless you rode a bike before all the Euro Emission garbage did. I know the old 2012 loan GTL has a lot more throttle response than my last 2017 GTL did. But really you ride the bike for a while and it seems to be the norm.:smile::frown::crying::grin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got the same reply from Bren and plan to send in my ecu next Monday. I have a dealer flash from last Saturday so it’s pretty fresh and not on the Bren server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bren now has the latest factory firmware from my ECU. I received my files and am waiting for my ECU to return in post. I will update from there... (I better proactively order a new rear tire!)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Bren now has the latest factory firmware from my ECU. I received my files and am waiting for my ECU to return in post. I will update from there... (I better proactively order a new rear tire!)
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

I finally recieved my tunes based on this software. It was worth the wait.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
DAm i just saw this and missed out!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Did you get a chance to install and ride yet? I am curious. My ECU is on the way and so is the snow so I don't know if I will get to make any test hits.
Installed it last night, but did a quick ride to make sure all was well. Will commute to work today and hopefully tomorrow before the weather turns nasty.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I can't really add to what has already been said about the tune. The extra power is nice, but the way the power is delivered is really nice. Very linear and smooth. The throttle improvement really helps on a bike this big. I came from a Honda ST1300 which had a extremely touchy throttle. This bike had to think a moment about what you were asking it to do. I find the tune a nice comprise between the two. The greatest thing that I like is how the whole engine now seems more refined and smoother. This is what I was expecting when I bought a BMW. I hold no malice against BMW though, as I have worked in the automotive industry for years, and I'm quite aware of what emission standards can do to a good motor.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I can't really add to what has already been said about the tune. The extra power is nice, but the way the power is delivered is really nice. Very linear and smooth. The throttle improvement really helps on a bike this big. I came from a Honda ST1300 which had a extremely touchy throttle. This bike had to think a moment about what you were asking it to do. I find the tune a nice comprise between the two. The greatest thing that I like is how the whole engine now seems more refined and smoother. This is what I was expecting when I bought a BMW. I hold no malice against BMW though, as I have worked in the automotive industry for years, and I'm quite aware of what emission standards can do to a good motor.

Stage 1 or 2? If Stage2, what octane gas are you going to run? Also, after the tune, does your Check Engine Light come on briefly on the pre-start and then go off? Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did you lose the lean "pop" on decel/gear change? I would guess so because the fueling is fatter with the tune. But the 18yo kid in me really hopes not!:nerd:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I'm using Stage 2, as 93 octane is readily available here. I only get the normal lights when starting.

This is one of the best things about the tune, I get the BMW popping on engine braking, but not the lurching when in Dynamic mode. My wife's Cooper also pops on engine breaking when in Sport mode. This is something that BMW programs in. In Road mode though everything is quite.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Brentune sale

I see this morning Bren is having a one day sale on their stage one tune. $200 off. I am going to wait to see if the handheld unit goes on sale at some point. I am sure that at some point a service tech will try to update my ecu and wipe out the Bren tune making me have go through the procedure again and spend what ever the amount is to have it reflashed again. Not to mention the down time sending in the ecu. What are the chances they will have a sale on the hand held units in the near future?

441 - 460 of 489 Posts