BMW K1600 Forum banner

481 - 491 of 491 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
bren tuning is having a sale. The hand held device ,normally $795 is on sale for $650. As soon as i am sure i have someone competent to watch over me install the files i will be ordering mine.
ordered!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I ordered my handheld unit this AM.My stepson is good with computers will help with the install and I will take notes. That way when I travel west where I can't get 93 octane I will be able to put the stage 1 map in it myself. I hope it comes soon , the weather in northern Illinois is getting worse and I'd really like to put some miles on the bike with the new tune before I go away for the winter on it
I'm pretty much done riding for the year with the salt on the roads, and I live down near Champaign.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I'm pretty much done riding for the year with the salt on the roads, and I live down near Champaign.

Contrary to what I mentioned yesterday to jimbeam, both of you might consider waiting on the ECU flash until after you have your transmission recall work completed. No riding in your parts (I grew up in Illinois, I know the drill) anyway.

I was told by a reliable source this would be a better way to go, bring the bike in with a stock ECU for the recall. Others might disagree, however, with all the unknowns on the recall process...I am bringing mine in with a stock ECU. Just seems cleaner and I trust my source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Contrary to what I mentioned yesterday to jimbeam, both of you might consider waiting on the ECU flash until after you have your transmission recall work completed. No riding in your parts (I grew up in Illinois, I know the drill) anyway.

I was told by a reliable source this would be a better way to go, bring the bike in with a stock ECU for the recall. Others might disagree, however, with all the unknowns on the recall process...I am bringing mine in with a stock ECU. Just seems cleaner and I trust my source.

I think I will do that. The likelihood of getting the transmission recall completed before Spring is low, but I won't be riding anyway. Sadly, the warranty on the Bren Tune starts when I receive, it, correct?

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I think I will do that. The likelihood of getting the transmission recall completed before Spring is low, but I won't be riding anyway. Sadly, the warranty on the Bren Tune starts when I receive, it, correct?

You will be fine. Just work with Chris at Bren and explain the circumstance re the recall and he will give you some grace on any stated time period. Chris does not want to deal with substantial time abuse issues. Other forum members have done similar for different reasons.

If for some reason that option is not to your liking you could always complete the tune process and just flash back to stock before the recall work. I flashed back to stock for another reason and for now am keeping it that way until my recall work is done. It’s all good.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This why having the hand held would be nice. Take the bike back to stock before you take it to the dealer just to be safe then put the tune back on when you get it home.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
As I read the instructions for the Bren tune, any software update by the dealer will require two things-

1. The bike must be flashed back to the stock tune.

2. A software update by the dealer will require a new set of tunes from Bren, at a cost of $100 every time.

From another thread on here, it seems that a software flash is part of the transmission recall (which my bike is subject to). Thus, anyone who has a bike that needs the transmission recall performed should not tune their bike prior to that being completed, as it will cost them another $100 (especially with a large portion of the country unable to ride due to winter weather anyway). The warranty on the tuner itself is 6 months, and Bren's reply indicates that it starts when it is received, regardless of when the tune is applied to the bike.

Do I understand all of this correctly? I received the tuner from Bren the other day and in an email exchange they said it was fine that I not perform the tune until the spring after the transmission recall is completed. I did not ask about the possibility of a factory software update as part of that recall, because I just learned about that tonight. I have no reason to tune my bike right now anyway, as where I live I will not be riding until April, most likely.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,293 Posts
It is complete speculation that a software update is a part of the gear box repair. It appears to me that a few member bikes were due for the March 2019 (hint green `H`) update anyway which will be performed next opportunity the dealer has.
And yes, flash back your bike to stock before any dealer visit just to be on the safe side. If the Bren software recognizes a version change it will block the re flashing with the existing tune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey y'all. New guy here... I'm about a month into ownership of a 2020 K1600B, which I love. With BMW FS offering 0% financing for 60mos and no payments due for 90 days, I walked into the dealer and just told him, "Take my money". I'm interested in the Bren Stage 2 tune and the handheld controller and am wondering if there is any coupon/discount available currently. I know that I missed the boat (by about a year!) on the group purchase that is detailed in this post.
...but it can't hurt to ask, right?!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I run Stage II with 91 octane. Never an issue. The only time it's ever knocked was operator error--in thin air above 10,000 feet on the million dollar highway and I lugged it. I told them I'd be running 91 so maybe they tuned it that way.

481 - 491 of 491 Posts