BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled on this short video comparing the GS911USB and the Motoscan App.

My conclusions:

Motoscan: if you just want to reset Maintenance Due light

GS911USB: If you want to troubleshoot fault codes and/or perform maintenance, e.g. Maintenance light, bleed ABS pump, recalibrate windscreen, etc. *** Requires connection to laptop computer; e.g. for use in your home garage.

GS911wifi: Same functions as USB model but can be used via bluetooth to mobile phone; e.g. can easily be carried on the bike for use "when required".

Duane

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Good recap.
So if I understand, maintenance functions cannot be performed in the field via the mobil app? Only when connected (usb hard wired or wifi) to a laptop.
The only thing the mobil app can do is an autoscan to determine fault code?

I'm referring now to the GS-911 and not the MotoScan.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Since my '18 B is still fairly new and still under factory warranty, I went with the Motoscan primarily to reset the service light (which my dealer charges $50 to do). I have a total of $90 invested in the software and the tool so it paid for itself after my 2nd oil change.

The other things that the Motoscan does are icing on the cake to me and I did try to use it to bleed the ABS pump when I bled my brakes recently and it did appear to have worked for that but I chose not to do that at this time.

Also, not sure which version of the app's software he was using in the video but they do offer various price tiers with each tier offering more functionality.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good recap.
So if I understand, maintenance functions cannot be performed in the field via the mobil app? Only when connected (usb hard wired or wifi) to a laptop.

I'm referring now to the GS-911 and not the MotoScan.

Joe
Only the GS911wifi can read codes on the road.

Duane

·
Registered
2,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
The MotoScan will also read and reset fault codes if you buy the top package. I have used both and the GS-911 is a better device for those that understand OBDII or the bikes elactronics. The MotoScan will handle the basics just fine. I carry the MotoScan with me on trips. This way if I loose it, I'm not out as much.

The one addition that I wish they would make to the MotoScan is the ability to automatically scan all of the controllers at once like the Autoscan function on the GS-911. With the MotoScan you have to go through each controller looking for the fault.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The mobile app can perform service functions in the field, but only if you can get your GS-911WIFI and your mobile device to connect to the same WiFi network.

Public WiFi networks that intercept your network requests and present a web page to connect will not work because the GS-911WIFI has no way to interact with those prompts. WiFi networks that connect directly (you select the network, enter a password and go) will work with the GS-911WIFI.

I’ve performed service functions on some hotel WiFi networks. Another good one is McDonalds; they all use the same WiFi credentials nationwide.

My most recent field use was clearing a windshield position error code and running the windshield recalibration service function. All I had to do is move the bike close enough to the hotel so the GS-911WIFI could pick up the hotel’s WiFi. I then reconfigured it via a direct WiFi connection from my iPad to use the hotel WiFi. Then I switched the GS-911wifi mode to connect the hotel WiFi, also switching the iPad to use the hotel WiFi instead of the GS-911wifi’s WiFi. With both devices on the hotel WiFi, I ran the GS-911wifi app on the iPad and all functions were available.

Yes, the setup is a little tedious, but after you’ve done it once or twice, the steps go faster and you get a feel for whether the available WiFi network will work or not.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Ghost , your GS911 wifi connectivity is much better than mine. I gave up connecting via wifi even at home and went with a direct connection to a laptop.

Duane

Reactions: BMWGuy

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I haven't tried it, but you can supposedly put the GS-911 in D2D mode where it provides a wifi network and server that you can browse to with your iPhone, etc. Only "emergency" services are provided, but that will allow scanning for and clearing fault codes - some of which can shut the bike down. You don't have to register the bike's VIN to use this on a bike, so you might be able to rescue your or somebody else's day if you are out in the middle of nowhere.

Full service stuff does require a wifi with internet access.

I haven't had any wifi connectivity issues on my home network, but my wifi router is pretty close to the garage. Maybe within 20 feet of where the bike sits.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Here's a video I ran across a while back that shows a GS-911 being used to clear a fault code (fuse for electric fuel pump) that was preventing the bike from starting.

This is a fairly old video. I think the PC is directly connected to the GS-911. But (in theory) from what I see on the HexCode website, this functionality (scanning and clearing fault codes) would be available in emergency mode with the GS-911 in D2D (device to device) mode with no other wifi available.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Actually I was referring to the GS-911 "AutoScan" on the App.
Yes I am able to do an Autoscan with my GS911 Wi-Fi connected to my iPhone. I can also read fault codes and delete them. If I do it at home where I have a house WI-FI connection to my printer I can print a report all by just using my iPhone and the GS911.

Duane helped me A LOT today to get my GS911 working while hardwired (using the USB cord) to my laptop. I didn't have the correct download program installed on the laptop. Now I can go in and use the service functions, set my service interval and all the things the GS911 was designed for using the laptop anywhere without the need for an internet connection. Doing it this way is very fast and no drop outs like I was experiencing using the laptop / GS911 via an internet connection.

Duane showed us a few years ago how to set the maintenance interval to 90,000 km and bump the interval date up several years. Now the wrench icon doesn't show up. I keep written records of my service so I use that to tell when the 6,000 miles is up. Old school I know but it works for me.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
875 Posts
My most recent field use was clearing a windshield position error code and running the windshield recalibration service function.
Just FYI there is a handlebar button combination that lets you reset the windshield position. I don't know it by heart but it does exist.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just FYI there is a handlebar button combination that lets you reset the windshield position. I don't know it by heart but it does exist.
Back in my software engineer days, there was a joke: My keyboard has so many buttons. I can solve pretty much any technical problem by pushing them in the correct sequence.

And the corollary: How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? They can't. It's a hardware problem.

Reactions: Muchmore

·
Registered
2013 GTL
589 Posts
Stumbled on this short video comparing the GS911USB and the Motoscan App.

My conclusions:

Motoscan: if you just want to reset Maintenance Due light
Not sure if the reviewer in that video had a different MotoScan version, but so far I've used mine to read error codes, reset error codes, performed the learn for a new TPMS sensor, resest the service indicator with custom mileage and date, the ABS function for bleeding brakes, and view live data.

·
Registered
109 Posts
it is to me, I plan to buy the motoscan app this week, sadly it is not iphone compatible, but my laptop is windows...
already got the doohickey and gizmotchie for connecting to the bike.
any apps out there better than the motoscan for the BMW? other than the gs911

·
Registered
2013 GTL
589 Posts
it is to me, I plan to buy the motoscan app this week, sadly it is not iphone compatible, but my laptop is windows...
already got the doohickey and gizmotchie for connecting to the bike.
any apps out there better than the motoscan for the BMW? other than the gs911
I don't think MotoScan is Windows compatible, unless you run an emulation app - best check and confirm that.

I haven't heard of anything else out there - only MotoScan and GS-911

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
You can buy a cheap 2nd hand android device to use with it and still be less expensive than the GS-911.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts