BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I currently own a K1200, but am looking to upgrade to the K1600 series.
Trying to determine if I should go with a GT or GTL. I have a significant other so I was leaning towards the GTL, but also
I'm 6'5 and didn't know if the shorter windscreen on the GT would cause me any issues, which would fully put the GTL in my sights and cast aside any idea I had on the GT.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Gavin

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Test ride them both. You’ll know. Best wishes for the process and getting a new ride in the garage.

Reactions: kotr

·
Registered
635 Posts
Test ride them both. You’ll know. Best wishes for the process and getting a new ride in the garage.
Yep, you can study GT/GTL specs all day, but nothing can substitute test rides. I went into the process convinced I would own a GT, but took a GTL home. Others have the opposite experience. Good luck with the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, you can study GT/GTL specs all day, but nothing can substitute test rides. I went into the process convinced I would own a GT, but took a GTL home. Others have the opposite experience. Good luck with the process.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have ridden both. I found I rode on the GT and in the GTL. The GT is a more forward-leaning sitting position with the GTL being more upright.
As far as passenger comfort the GTL is better.

Having said all that I have sold my GTL but I expect I'll miss it so much I'll be back;);)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yep, ride em both. One thing to remember, the seat and windscreen sucks on both models so those 2 things will be high on your replacement schedule. Ride for comfort and then you can add new farkles to make it better.

Reactions: kotr

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
The GT has a more forward lean do to shorter handlebars and a more rearward position of the foot pegs. You really need to ride them both. If your dealer doesn't have both to demo post here where you live and perhaps there will be a forum member that will let you ride his bike.

Take a look at this member map for members near you.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Hey Gavin, I'm 6'5" and have a GT LE. The stock screen, though higher than the GT, is too short, I replaced it fairly quickly with a CalSci Extra everything to the max. It works very well, amazing what the little hole in it achieves. No buffet or 'push' when the screens high, and max protection in the wind and rain.

More importantly an RDL, 2" higher than a stock high seat and 2" rearward for the rider seat. The stock seat was an absolute torture contraption, causing me to stop every 45 mins to an hour, wow it smarted.

With these two essentials I've ridden many a 1,000km day in comfort. Didn't need highway pegs etc. The rest you'll figure out to your tastes and needs but the main two for me were a must.

As an aside, if you buy new, suggest you add on the Quick Shift and the Hill Brake assist, both work very, very well and are a pleasure to use. Can't quite recall, without digging out my receipt, but if the Comms/Entertainment System is an extra ditch it without further thought, its utter garbage and essentially does not work. Lastly and if your area qualifies, go for the 5 year service plan. It's not cheap but pays for itself time and again once you get going.

Good luck and have a great time.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
For me the GTL has always been the better choice not only for comfort, but because it offers a better ride on rough roads. Before buying my current GTL and after owning 3 prior ones, I really "wanted" a GT just for something different. Went out for several rides and it really came down to the fact the GT had a much rougher ride than the GTL. I am only 5'9" so physical size really didn't play into my decision making process. Ride both a couple of times before you sign on the dotted line, you will find your way.
Rick H.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
If you have the access to both models to test that is the best way to help decide. If you are like many of us who do not have a dealer closer or are looking at used bike a test ride may be difficult to come by.

If you don't have access to both models to test the comments made about the spec sheets not being able to tell the story seems to be true. I think what can be helpful is what are your reference points. If that K1200 is an LT there is a good chance the GTL will be more similar to the seating of the LT and any discomfort caused by seat or windshield can be made after the purchase of the bike to suit your needs. If the LT is the reference point and is comfortable it is possible the GT may be more forward than you prefer.

If your K1200 is a GT, R, S or RS model the K1600GT will be more comfortable than any of them and the riding position of the K1600GT would be more familiar and the sitting in position of the GTL may lock you into one position more than you are used to and put more weight on your tailbone than you would be used to.

The more relaxed the ergonomics of your current ride are, the GTL will feel more familiar.

Hopefully you can get a test ride of both but if you can't using your past reference points and comparing them to the subtle but important differences between the GT and GTL may help narrow down your choices.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that you can remove that tail pack on the GTL in less than a minute with no tools to improve looks and handling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts