BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to shift some old motorcycles yesterday, and the GTL came to the rescue.

That's a '60s Bonneville one one side, and a '40s Indian dirt bike on the other.

Sadly, not my bikes, I'm just storing them for a friend.

Did get some great looks on the ride home though. :D

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Triumph leaked enough oil all by itself... :D

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You never change the oil in an old Triumph—you just keep refilling it...

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Q: Why do Brits drink warm beer?

A: Lucas refrigerators!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Actually, this was part of a bigger project to empty a monthly storage unit and move stuff to a temporary shelter at my house.

First, I had to clear out and recycle some junk:

Then, I had to pick up some free pallets (gotta love Craigslist):

That was tough, as the trailer's built-in toolbox meant that I couldn't properly forward-balance the load, so my tongue weight was off and the bike got real squirrely above 30 mph or so. :eek: I just took small surface streets home...

Then I picked up some additional supporting lumber:

The 16 footers were tough to carry on an 8 foot trailer, so I left a couple pallets on the trailer to clear the toolbox and strapped the lumber as far forward as possible. Again, small surface streets to home...

Then I assembled the pallets into a base and sheeted them:

Note that the width worked fine for my 10' x 17' cover, as 3x 40" = 10 feet. But 2x 8' = 16', so I had to add a foot in-between, hence the middle cross-boards.

Then on goes the cover (gotta love Harbor Freight sales):

It's functional, but dämn ugly. :D And the whole thing cost less than two-months storage rental.

Eventually, it'll get replaced with a proper-built wooden shed painted to match the garage, but first I have to dig up the driveway to redo the main sewer line, then replace the driveway double-wide to get a proper base in place.

But that's a project for another day...

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Actually, this was part of a bigger project to empty a monthly storage unit and move stuff to a temporary shelter at my house.

First, I had to clear out and recycle some junk:

Then, I had to pick up some free pallets (gotta love Craigslist):

That was tough, as the trailer's built-in toolbox meant that I couldn't properly forward-balance the load, so my tongue weight was off and the bike got real squirrely above 30 mph or so. :eek: I just took small surface streets home...

Then I picked up some additional supporting lumber:

The 16 footers were tough to carry on an 8 foot trailer, so I left a couple pallets on the trailer to clear the toolbox and strapped the lumber as far forward as possible. Again, small surface streets to home...

Then I assembled the pallets into a base and sheeted them:

Note that the width worked fine for my 10' x 17' cover, as 3x 40" = 10 feet. But 2x 8' = 16', so I had to add a foot in-between, hence the middle cross-boards.

Then on goes the cover (gotta love Harbor Freight sales):

It's functional, but dämn ugly. :D And the whole thing cost less than two-months storage rental.

Eventually, it'll get replaced with a proper-built wooden shed painted to match the garage, but first I have to dig up the driveway to redo the main sewer line, then replace the driveway double-wide to get a proper base in place.

But that's a project for another day...
Mad skills YO!:tb

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shed's not quite full yet, so maybe I have to pick up some more motorcycles... :D

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
You never change the oil in an old Triumph—you just keep refilling it...
This one, at least, is not a joke but a truth.

It was also a truth with a wrecked-but-still-runs Plymouth Horizon I once owned many years ago. :grin:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
This one, at least, is not a joke but a truth.

It was also a truth with a wrecked-but-still-runs Plymouth Horizon I once owned many years ago. :grin:
Reminds me of $$%$$ Poulan snow blower I got rid if. Never had to change oil...just kept filling it and frequently replace the cardboard it sat on. Chinese engines aren't too good.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
But more importantly, modern Triumphs and more recently modern Indians show excellent build quality and perfect fit and finish... Their only connection to the past is for style and design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts