BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be able to get ahold of a scratched up but functional GTL top case for my GT. The hope is it will be better for my wife. Any concerns I should be aware of? My understanding is the rack/mounts are different on the GTL vs GT...will this make any difference? I think she could use a bit more room too, so I hope the GTL box sits back a bit more. Worse case it is more cramped and may be a deal breaker. I am also hoping I do not have to buy the GTL rear rack to put on my GT...I hear they are a few hundred bucks.

Thoughts?

Appreciate the advice!

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
We use a top box on our GT and my wife likes it just fine. If I'm not mistaken, its the mounting rack on the GTL which moves the box back an inch or two. The boxes are the same.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Q
5,423 Posts
J-Luv is correct, the top case will fit. If your wife needs more room your going to have to buy the GTL rack to move the topcase back.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a 2018 GTL. I also have a GTL, GT & 28 liter top case. Got all the bases covered (y). Long story. All the boxes mount the same. You don’t need anything. The difference is the back pad. And those are interchangeable too. As far as distance back I have never measured it. Could do it if you want...... its raining here to day anyway. Also if your deal falls through on the box your looking at let me know as I am looking to sell the GTL box. It’s White.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I believe BMW calls these "luggage grid". The standard GTL are interchangeable with the GT. There is also a GTL-E version that moves the top box even farther rearward. That one is not drop-in compatible with either standard GTL or GT. You would need additional structural support parts to make the conversion work.

Just thought it would be good to mention, in case you are hunting for parts on ebay.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,551 Posts
The GT and GTL top cases are identical. The mounting plate on the bike is slightly different; e.g. with the GT mount the pillion looses about an inch of room. If in doubt about fitment swing by your local BMW shop ask them to test fit a top case. Most will at least have a used one available or they can take one off a K bike or RT.

Be SURE if you buy a used top case that it is unlocked or you have a key to facilitate rekeying.

Duane

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luggage rack, side by side ... I think its about 2” different View attachment 149182
Do you know the P/N and a good place to get on IF I do get the box and IF my wife wants to move it back. Lot's of IFs here but I like the options. I figured it'd click right in but I was worried it would be more forward...looks like it's the same and only the rack itself is the difference. The box apears to be from a 2012 as it is tan, so I'll have to get it pained. If it was black I wouldn't bother as it would still go with my blue.

Thanks all for the input.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,551 Posts
@[email protected] , keep in mind there are 2 top cases that will fit the K bike. The "old style" has a different locking mechanism and will not work with the automatic locking. The old style is also more difficult to rekey. I've rekeyed both styles and the older one is a PIA.

Duane

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@[email protected] , keep in mind there are 2 top cases that will fit the K bike. The "old style" has a different locking mechanism and will not work with the automatic locking. The old style is also more difficult to rekey. I've rekeyed both styles and the older one is a PIA.

Duane
I have an "Old Style" box now, an RT box and it is keyed w/o auto lock. The one I am looking at is off a GTL (crashed?) and has scratches on one side. He said it is structurally and mechanically sound but the cord may need to be replaced or repaired. I assume that is the auto lock cord. I will ask about the keys as it appears to be closed/latched in the pics. Not very useful if I can't open it. If I do get it, it'll keep it as-is for now to see if the wife likes it. If so, I'll paint it and consider the GTL luggage grid swap and fix the cord. If not, I'll probably will post it here and hope to recover what I spent.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had a top box fitted on my first K16GT in 2012 and have had it re-keyed every time I move to a new model - all GTs. Done a lot of two up miles and the wife has had no problems on the back (and I am not small). There maybe some additional padding on the top box if its off a GTL, you could replace with the GT padding or fit the GTL rack to move it back, both options should work fine.

You can also use it OK even if you chop the chord off, you will just loose the internal light and central locking, but you can still lock it with the key.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a top box fitted on my first K16GT in 2012 and have had it re-keyed every time I move to a new model - all GTs. Done a lot of two up miles and the wife has had no problems on the back (and I am not small). There maybe some additional padding on the top box if its off a GTL, you could replace with the GT padding or fit the GTL rack to move it back, both options should work fine.

You can also use it OK even if you chop the chord off, you will just loose the internal light and central locking, but you can still lock it with the key.
I have an RT box now, so I am used to the key, looks like the plug came off. If it is not too expensive I'll fix that, but the paint will come first and then the luggage grid to move it back to GTL spec.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having some difficulty finding the P/N...this may be it, 46547727365 for 262.41. I kind of looks like the handles come with it too, don't need that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also looking for a Cable Harness for the top box...I think it is P/N 61128528421 for about $206.

Any idea on the brake light as well, best place to get. Amazon has it for like $200.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Rekeyed?

I moved my top case from my 2012 GTL to 2012 GT, and interchange the saddle bags (ahem, panniers) without ever rekeying and have not had any issues. "New" bike's key fits and works with old bags.

I assume because of some chip that makes the key and locks related to the bike? Now I am wondering...

·
Registered
2012 K1600 GT
1 Posts
One thing seems to be missing from this thread...the difference between the GTL back pad and the GT back pad. The thickness of the two pads is why the GTL moves the top case back and the GT moves it forward. The seating position remains the same and the backrest is moved to fit depending on which backrest configuration you use. A cheaper solution would be to purchase the GT backrest for approximately $104 and would look like the case was made for the GT.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She prefers the GTL backrest... So move it back I must.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am trying to nail down the PN to swap from a GT (right) to a GTL (left) luggage rack. Does anyone have the exact PN for this? Is there anything else that needs to be ordered besides the below (left) item?

Thanks a bunch!

Luggage rack, side by side ... I think its about 2” different View attachment 149182

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am trying to nail down the PN to swap from a GT (right) to a GTL (left) luggage rack. Does anyone have the exact PN for this? Is there anything else that needs to be ordered besides the below (left) item?

Thanks a bunch!
Max BMW, among probably some other dealers have the BMW parts fiche online for browsing to your hearts content. The rear luggage rack is shown at the start of section 46. By comparing part numbers between the GTL and GT I am pretty sure you will quickly figure out what you need.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts