BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be a lot more used GTL's around me than GT's. I'm wondering if you can remove the top case on a GTL and switch the GTL seat for a GT seat and basically then have a GT? Is that possible? I'm tall, so definitely like the taller GT seat.

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
What you are suggesting will get you half way there. You'll also need to change the handlebars and foot peg mounting brackets. I'm not positive, but you may also have to change the shift lever, top and bottom, along with the adjustable shift rod.

Duane

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
same bike with different fixings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to ride Yamaha FJR1300's. I'm older now, and looking for something more comfortable. Less forward lean. I'm 6'-4" so also want a tall bike. I looked at the GTL, but the seat is lower and locks you in one place. I'm hoping the GT seat is not only taller, but provides a little more forward/back movement. I don't necessarily want the sportier stance of the GT. If the GTL footpegs and shifter provide more room, I'm happy with that. I think the GTL handlebars provide a slightly more upright position also? I don't plan to ride long distance much, so can live without the top case most of the time.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I live without the top and side cases on my GTL most of the time since they are so easy to put on and take off. Why expose them to wear and tear and carry the extra 75 or so pounds?

Make sure you are checking out the GTL with the tall seat option. I'm mid 60's and 6'3" with 36" inseam and I find the GTL to be very comfortable for at least a few hours a day. Ergonomics are personal, of course. My wife and I liked the GTL more than the GT or GA.

If high speed is important to you, the Bren tune eliminates the differences in fuel mapping between the GT and GTL and restores pre-2018 performance. At least that is my understanding - check with the Bren enthusiasts to verify.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the information I was looking for. Seems I'm not the first person to try this arrangement.
Looks like the GTL handlebars reach further back. The GTL footpegs are lower. The GT seat is much higher. The GTL bags and top case remove easily. Unfortunately, the GT seat doesn't have any more forward/back room than the GTL seat. I would probably need to get a GT seat and have it custom modified. I'll have to find a GT and try the stock seat out.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Sounds like the GTL fits your needs minus the seat. You'll hear about 90% of the folks who attach aftermarket seats and spend a lot of time on their bike are RDL supporters, including me. They cost a bit BUT the comfort is well worth it. I went from being able to ride 2hrs a day to being able to ride 12+ hrs a day without pain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, can RDL take a GTL seat and make it as tall as the GT seat and make the front half a little longer by reducing the length of the pillion area?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
If high speed is important to you, the Bren tune eliminates the differences in fuel mapping between the GT and GTL and restores pre-2018 performance. At least that is my understanding - check with the Bren enthusiasts to verify.
Correct: Bren on a GTL will make the engine, throttle and fuel mapping behave like an older GT: Bren Stage 1 is very similar to older bike performance, but with removal of top speed limiter.
Stage 2 makes it pull a good deal even quicker and harder than that in the midrange power band.

And while I'm at it, even though this goes beyond the question: The truly necessary thing to me, however, was the improved ability to regulate the throttle when starting from a stop. Pre-Bren, I stalled the thing 20% of the time. It didn't happen if I had no earplugs in or music on, and thus could add engine sound to clutch feel, but that's not the normal for those of us who ride these bikes. Post-Bren, it feels like pretty much every other bike I've owned or ridden in my entire life when taking off from a stop, and I don't feel and look like a fool at stop lights/sign.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2018 K1600's and newer are a little out of my price range right now. So I assume the Bren comments don't apply to my situation?

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
So, can RDL take a GTL seat and make it as tall as the GT seat and make the front half a little longer by reducing the length of the pillion area?
Yes. I've heard of it done. I'm sure there's a limit.

2018 K1600's and newer are a little out of my price range right now. So I assume the Bren comments don't apply to my situation?
Correct

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd definitely try removing the luggage and a taller seat before doing anything more - just change one bit at a time till you like it rather than change everything and find you don't :unsure:

As most people have mentioned, if you do go custom made then RDL will make the seat you need, not necessarily the seat you want - they make thousands so are probably a lot closer to the mark than your "best guess";)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
This is exactly what I had done. I started with a High seat (the seat pan is the same on all three heights) and Russell moved it up higher and further back. My pillion rider is small, so she didn't need the extra space :)

I'm 6' 3".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Seems to be a lot more used GTL's around me than GT's. I'm wondering if you can remove the top case on a GTL and switch the GTL seat for a GT seat and basically then have a GT? Is that possible? I'm tall, so definitely like the taller GT seat.
I have a GTL and ride on a GT seat (with a Russell Day Long modification) and take my trunk off, except for long trips where I need the luggage capacity. The trunk comes off in less than a minute. No modifications are needed to put a GT seat on a GTL. The other way around requires the GTL seat latch mechanism installed. You don't have to remove that mechanism on a GTL to put a GT seat on. There are cosmetic spacer strips that come with a GT seat but I don't put them on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I had a ST1300 and now have a GTL. Top case is never on except when momma travels. I also had Russell raise and enlarge the ridder area. I like the bar fine, but I had 1" riser on my ST. The pegs are good also. The 1 up suspension settings are a little soft for my taste, so I ride 1 + luggage. Either the GT or GTL will be bigger and heavier than the FJR. At the end of the day either is a good ride.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Best solution to this is to buy a GT with a Top Box if you think you'll be riding mostly single.

For two-up, it is not quite as good for your pillion as the GT Top Box is mounted slightly more forward than on the GTL and the Top Box does not come with any arm rests.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What you are suggesting will get you half way there. You'll also need to change the handlebars and foot peg mounting brackets. I'm not positive, but you may also have to change the shift lever, top and bottom, along with the adjustable shift rod.

Duane
I'm positive. You will have to change the shift lever, top and bottom, along with the adjustable shift rod and the rear brake lever and whatever attaches to that. That was the point I just stopped, put the GT back together, went to bed, and let the GTL that I conquered go for scrap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
May be a meathead question, but when you say you can fit a GT seat on a GTL, isn't the GT seat a 2 piece seat, so how does that work? Thanx.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts