1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I don't like the look of those handle bar muffs...just look kind of restrictive. That said, I've never used them, so someone who has could give a much better opinion. My first motorcycle with heated grips was my Goldwing. Between the grips and a decent pair of gloves, I was fine into the 30s. I really try not to ride in the 30s. When I brought the Harley back last spring, I had the same gloves but no heated grips...think mid-40s was about as cold as it was during that trip. Popped some handwarmers into the gloves on those days.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning toward the handguards. The restriction of the muffs and then having to find my way back into them after pulling my hand out isn't an attractive idea.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The handguards will get the job done. I have the Wunderlich hand guards with non-heated BMW Winter gloves - sometimes I may add some meri wool liner (Icebreaker, in my case). I commute daily and even tour in winter, with solid comfort.
I would totally not go for the muffs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Guards help, but muffs are so warm that you can ride with thinner gloves and the heated grips on and you'll be warmer than heavy gloves and the hand guards. It takes about 2 minutes to get used to using the muffs, and you'd think you take your hands off the bars a lot more than you actually do, but you soon realize that your hands rarely leave the bars. Getting a hand back in isn't that difficult either.

Checkout "Hippo Hands" They're about $50 less expensive and they are great quality and the openings are supported to that the muff stays open when you take your hands out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had the muffs and although they kept my hands warm. I couldn't get used to them. Just my opinion on them though. I am curious if anyone has the hand guards on their bike and what they think of them. I know our Ks direct the wind over the back of our hands and the hand guards seem to address this. Thanks in advance and ride safe, Morgan Update, I contacted Europeantoys because the Wunderlich states "won't fit with factory driving lights". Europeantoys stated theirs are the same. Does anyone know if they can be modified ?

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
The handguards will get the job done. I have the Wunderlich hand guards with non-heated BMW Winter gloves - sometimes I may add some meri wool liner (Icebreaker, in my case). I commute daily and even tour in winter, with solid comfort.
I would totally not go for the muffs.
Where are you located? Around here you could never get away with just handguards.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I'm leaning toward the handguards. The restriction of the muffs and then having to find my way back into them after pulling my hand out isn't an attractive idea.
In the winter for other sports I wear three finger gloves. They are much warmer than regular gloves because you have less exposure and your fingers are together in pairs. Never tried them on a motorcycle though.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Muffs for warmth. There are less expensive options available. Much less.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have just installed Wunderlich hand guards on my 2016 K16. not as warm as hoped, but def better than before, so they are staying. Only problem is when i turn the steering full lock either side, they rub on the mirror brackets. Not a big deal, but still annoying, wish they were 5mm shorter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have just installed Wunderlich hand guards on my 2016 K16. not as warm as hoped, but def better than before, so they are staying. Only problem is when i turn the steering full lock either side, they rub on the mirror brackets. Not a big deal, but still annoying, wish they were 5mm shorter.
Hmm, on my 17 GT they didn't rub, even with OEM handlebars (now I have the GTL ones).
I would definitely fiddle with installation adjustment.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Choosing between the muffs and the guards the muffs will be warmer by a noticeable margin and the guards may look better and still let you see your controls.

The first time I used hand guards on a motorcycle I was pleased at how much wind they blocked when it was in warm to moderate temperatures. When it got really cold the did not help me all that much and by really cold on a bike I mean from maybe 25-45F. I've not used muffs on a motorcycle but have on a snowmobile and they let me use a thinner glove.

Between the two if ultimate warmth is what you want the muff will do the job better but does have trade offs. The hand guard certainly does help and may be enough. Seeing the heated glove was not always enough to keep you comfortable led me to believe you're riding in cold enough conditions that the guard may not achieve what you hope it will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts