BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Have you been able to connect with another K1600 owner to compare bikes?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hmmm, so for sure then it’s an issue with your bike....
Since the shop is suspecting the fork, what does that mean? The edge is not smooth? The slope is too great? I guess you won’t know till it’s apart. Without the motor running, can you shift it by hand? Feel any roughness or is it just tight? During oil change, more than normal metal around the magnet plug?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Duane, I have a 2012 K1600 GTL. While mine is not 'hard' to shift, it is definitely clunky, especially going into first and even into second. Three through six are fine, but I was amazed at how cluncky 1 and 2 are. I came from riding Harley's, and this was my first non-Harley, back in 2014, and it sounds a lot like a Harley going into 1st at a stop light. You do have to use higher RPMs to shift these bikes smoothly compared to V-Twins, but my K16 is definitely not 'smooth as silk', as I hear others talking about their K16. Again, higher RPMs make it smoother. And mine has a lot of transmission lash. You have to be very delicate with the throttle to reduce that lash. Finally, every OEM stats that oil can affect the shifting - either too little, too much or the wrong viscosity. I may actually try changing the oil type/viscosity just as a test. I do love this bike; it is awesome and a powerful, great-handling beast!

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My '12 motor ALWAYS clunked when dropping into 1st gear. I tried different oils, no joy. Just know you're not alone and, unfortunately, it's normal. You'll find upshifting smooths out quite a bit if you shift >3500-4000 rpm.

Duane

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I don't get the hand-wringing over the audible shift into first from neutral. My '14 K16GT does it, my '16 S1000R does it, and so did my '10 R12R. 😰

Most of the time these days, the only time I drop from neutral into first is when I'm first leaving. Almost all of the other times I'm downshifting into first as I come up to the reason to stop (light, traffic, etc). Doesn't clunk if you rev-match a downshift into first while decelerating.
:cheers:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Duane

Mine clunks especially a lower RPM but its not hard to shift.
The irony is if I ride it like a sport bike its smooth shifting.
I have a 16 model GTL
Ian

21 - 31 of 31 Posts