BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As luck would have it I was going to a BMW dealer with a friend of mine to have his first service done on his new r1250rt. Last weekend I did a little vigorous riding through some twisties keeping the bike at about 6-7k shifting between 3rd and 4th for about 8 miles. When the HD guys finally caught up with me they informed me I was pushing a little blue smoke out my left exhaust pipe. Well today as I was traveling to the dealer my bike turned into a full blown mosquito fogger as I came off the highway to a stop at the end of an exit. Thankfully the dealer was about a mile down the road from there. In any case has anyone had problems with the head gasket on a K1600 model as I have 40K on my bike. The dealer hasn't torn into it as of yet but it's about the only thing I can think of as the motor was still running smooth and didn't seem to drop a cylinder.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Some of the earlier models, pre 2012, had some issues with cracked ring lands on the pistons. A fuel mapping update corrected that, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Strange for a 2018 but, assuming the oil has been filled correctly, these symptoms certainly suggest cracked piston ringlands.

It's easy for the dealer to send you away claiming an oil overfill, so make sure the situation is investigated fully whilst you still have warranty. Plenty of history about this issue, so search is your friend.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
You've got a problem... To troubleshoot the dealer will probably perform leak-down and/or compression test. Hope you have a warranty or deep pockets. :)

Duane

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
If you have no warranty there are both black and sliver engines for sale on Ebay for around 2500.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Reactions: AndyspK16

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
260 Posts
You've got a problem... To troubleshoot the dealer will probably perform leak-down and/or compression test. Hope you have a warranty or deep pockets. :)

Duane

There goes your theory of the 2012's piston ring failures. It might go for all the bikes above as well also. Maybe BMW cheaped out on the newer bikes to cut some costs....:puzzled:

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
There goes your theory of the 2012's piston ring failures. It might go for all the bikes above as well also. Maybe BMW cheaped out on the newer bikes to cut some costs....:puzzled:
Piston land failures were/are a known/common issue for the '12/'13 K1600. But piston land failures are not unique to the K1600. The OP problem could be a broken land; what's that ole saying, "sh!t happens". If I had to venture a guess based on the OP described symptoms I'd be leaning toward a broken piston land groove.

Duane

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
WOW that's so new I would hate to think it would be a head gasket, pistons or rings but it is pointing to one or all of those, at least it would be covered under warranty. I hope you get it fixed and that it is done correctly. Just a shame the wrong time of year and the festive season holidays will hold things up. Good luck please keep us up to date.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What does "cheaped out" mean exactly? Why would you make a claim, or insinuation like that BEFORE you know what the actual problem is with the OP's bike? Do you have a crystal ball that shows "all" bikes are involved? How do you know this isn't just a one time problem, or one that is quite rare and unusual? Instead of just guessing at a potential problem why don't you just wait until the bike is taken to a dealership and the real cause for the smoke is determined? But then again speculation is soooo much fun isn't it? And we already have guys locating used engines on Ebay!!! Good Grief...…………!

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stopped by the BMW dealer today and they're just starting to put a wrench on it after 2 1/2 days. They also told me they'd call me with the results at the end of the day and of course there was no call. I don't know about how you guys feel, but to me this type of service is just not acceptable. When someone promises to do something they better well do it. So now I have to wait till Tuesday to hear the results in person because I want to see the damage first hand. Not that I don't trust them but I don't trust them.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The saga goes on. I got a call from the BMW dealer today, they start the conversation by stating they were having a problem trying to get in touch with me. Then he goes on to say that they needed a verbal commitment from me to start tearing down the motor. Well let's see, I dropped the bike off last Thursday the 12th, at that time I signed the blanket work order for them to fix the bike and I kinda remember saying to them "what ever it takes fix the bike". So now it's been a week and they still haven't put a wrench to it. This little episode really makes me wonder how this dealer stays in business. They got no bikes to sell and then they get a high dollar warranty job and sit on it for a week, I'm really getting pissed enough to go straight to Indian after the bike is fixed and trade off for a loaded red Challenger. Which by the way comes with a 2 year warranty unlimited mileage and a LIFETIME power train warranty unlimited mileage. More to come I'm sure ......................

·
Registered
534 Posts
In my neck of the Woods the same dealership that sells Indians, also sells BMWs. And they are atrocious with service on either. You may find that you haven't solved anything by changing brands of motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts