BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I went out today with the guys and did 250 miles. Per usual the destination was a restaurant food was good, Had to put up with a little ball busting from the HD boys but I knew that was coming. Bike ran flawless and it's only 2 months till the new GT. :)

Jim, I'll let you know the outcome.............................

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Ok folks this is the last chapter to this saga: Let's start with the piston.
View attachment 135378 After hours of searching for the casting symbol of a circle with the numbers 487 within it I came up with nothing. Not deterred by that I searched for the unique physical property of the piston. The obvious is the inside of the piston is not machined at all. But the real tell is the cross hatched design at the bottom, you can plainly see it in the pic. So I searched through litterally thousands of pictures of pistons to find that cross hatch design and you guessed it, I found it. Whoever it was that made the wise @ss comment in jest that the pistons were made in China, hit the nail on the head. These pistons are manufactured by the WoTech Corporation based in China. I also took the time, because I had so much else to do, to measure certain characteristics of it and found the wall thickness varies as much as .030" , not a good sign of quality.

I went to the BMW dealer and found that they still hadn't come to an agreed price of repair with RPMONE, but the bike had the new motor in it and was running as expected, no smoke and smooth as silk. I just looked at the repair shop manager and said, "I don't give a sh!t about what RPMONE is doing I got a blank check in my pocket, what's the finally cost of the R&R of the motor". He told me, I wrote the check and now I'm a happy camper because I can go on a long ride with the guys tomorrow. The new motor seems to be quieter with less top end noise and the transmission seems to shift a tad smoother. I couldn't have asked for more except for all the aggravation of the who's on first dialogue throughout the process of repairing the bike.

As for RPMONE, at some point in time they'll come to an agreement of the cost of the repair and that check will come directly to me. So basically it all evens out in the wash.

Ride safe people I got a few miles to make up..................................
Who wants to place a wager that the source of the Transmission recall is a Chinese part?

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Who wants to place a wager that the source of the Transmission recall is a Chinese part?
You lost it already. Parts in question came with little doubt from the US. Source hidden somewhere in the about 1000 post. Look for Torqtek

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
You lost it already. Parts in question came with little doubt from the US. Source hidden somewhere in the about 1000 post. Look for Torqtek

Well if that really is the case they went out of business in June of 2019.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Insolvent and sold their assets. Its somewhere in this thread.
A North Charleston manufacturer of vehicle transmission assemblies is closing its Leeds Avenue site as part of a companywide restructuring, with 85 workers set to lose their jobs.
Gear Design & Manufacturing/AAM Charleston told state labor officials that it will cease production at the end of this month. Jobs will be eliminated in phases beginning Aug. 1, with the last wave of employees leaving the plant by May 2020, according to the company’s notice with the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce.
“The plant closing will be permanent and will involve essentially the entire facility,” plant manager Kim Forshee said in the letter.
The Detroit-based company is consolidating its powertrain business into its driveline and metal forming units, affecting two dozen plants, including the North Charleston site.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts