BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in my YouTube feed. I wasn't aware of any road in the world, other than the Autobahn, that has no speed limit. Has anyone tested their top speed, legally, on the Stuart Highway?

Reactions: 6xGrins

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
😮

·
Registered
323 Posts
That’s fun. They said 3 roads in the world with no speed limit... anyone know the third?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, I rode it on a K16GT about 7 years ago when ~200kms were unrestricted. A year later this was extended to 400kms then the next State election the Labor Party won and put a 130kph limit back on the road, despite accidents and fatalities dropping when the derestrictions were in place.

It’s not much of a road, only two lanes, but derestricting it resulted in everyone driving at their own pace and not being bunched up in a convoy. Common sense came back into fashion and there were way few incidents and accidents, confirmed by our discussions with the local emergency services.

My riding mate was on a Kwaka Z14 and hit his 299 limiter a few times, but was mortified to check the GPS later and find it was only 277kph. Meanwhile the Battlestar recorded 261kph GPS (which I didn’t record) and that was pre Bren Tuning. I’m sure the extra power would take the K a bit faster again (y)

·
KBiK
1,793 Posts
We have roads in Texas with legal 85 and 80 mph limits. I think the toll road from Austin to Seguin still has an 85 mph limit.

West of Kerrville to El Paso, most of I-10 is 80 mph so you can normally safely set your cruise control, at 90 mph.

Lots of other roads in west Texas have 75 mph limits but have zero traffic and 100% visibility.... :oops:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s fun. They said 3 roads in the world with no speed limit... anyone know the third?
I looked it up. Most of The Isle of Man has no speed limits. They even advertise this on their tourist literature.

Reactions: 6xGrins and J-Luv

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have roads in Texas with legal 85 and 80 mph limits. I think the toll road from Austin to Seguin still has an 85 mph limit.

West of Kerrville to El Paso, most of I-10 is 80 mph so you can normally safely set your cruise control, at 90 mph.

Lots of other roads in west Texas have 75 mph limits but have zero traffic and 100% visibility.... :oops:
Those 85 mph Texas roads are the fastest speed limits in the U.S.

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Registered
742 Posts
Those 85 mph Texas roads are the fastest speed limits in the U.S.
Many parts of Australia have 130kph limits, which equate to 81mph: not too much difference. Much of Europe also tend toward 130kph limits, although places like the Italian Autostrada see that as a guide, not a limit. I moved over for a Fiat with four bulky Carabinieri and a flashing blue light, and I was doing 175kph. I think they were late for lunch?

Getting back to the OP, the Stuart Highway hasn't been unrestricted since November 2016 so there are no unrestricted roads in Australia :cry:

edit to add: this photo on the Stuart Highway is the road: it's not a divided highway but just a two lane country road.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many parts of Australia have 130kph limits, which equate to 81mph: not too much difference. Much of Europe also tend toward 130kph limits, although places like the Italian Autostrada see that as a guide, not a limit. I moved over for a Fiat with four bulky Carabinieri and a flashing blue light, and I was doing 175kph. I think they were late for lunch?

Getting back to the OP, the Stuart Highway hasn't been unrestricted since November 2016 so there are no unrestricted roads in Australia :cry:

View attachment 149529
Huh, I didn't notice, must be an old video.

·
Registered
742 Posts
There are far more than that, unless you consider the autobahn as only one 'road'. There are more than 8,000 miles of autobahn in Germany and about 70% have no speed limit.

·
Preema
1,183 Posts
Yup I’ve ridden it, back in the 90’s and on an old VFR. It’s not the road to open up on. Think Mad Max meets Cannonball run! Its only one lane each way, straight but not well maintained. Lots of huge trucks, three trailers towed behind (google road-train) lots of grey nomads but worst of all, wildlife. A mate on a Motoguzzi sport got hit in the chest by a wedge tail eagle at about 80-90 mph. He came off and the bike ran a few hundred yards before falling and destroying itself...
Its no autobahn :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts

View attachment 149529

edit to add: this photo on the Stuart Highway is the road: it's not a divided highway but just a two lane country road.
Drove it last year, yep limited to 130 which is probably a good thing, it's not in fantastic condition and often scrub on both sides of the road that any sort of critter could come bolting out of.
Did you happen to notice what your fuel consumption was at 260kph on your 16 ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Drove it last year, yep limited to 130 which is probably a good thing, it's not in fantastic condition and often scrub on both sides of the road that any sort of critter could come bolting out of.
Did you happen to notice what your fuel consumption was at 260kph on your 16 ?
About 9lt/100km average over 210kms. Mate on his 14Z nearly ran out: again.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Years back I remember riding through Montana, and the speed signs said reasonable and prudent for conditions. Had my K1200GT up in the 150's bike had more, but I didn't so backed off.

Reactions: Goes2fast

·
Flying Dutchman
142 Posts
My favorite traffic sign, only available in Germany unfortunately...

Love to ride on the Autobahn, especially for IBA LD rides. During quiet times you can easily do long stretches of 160+ kph (100+ mph) or more. Only drawback is the consumption goes up to around 10l / 100 km (<25 mpg) at these warp speeds, so you lose time with more fuel stops... Still fun to speed around from time to time!

·
Registered
217 Posts
German autobahn isn't unrestricted everywhere, just between cities. They'll put a 130 km/h restriction on near exits, then remove it again. I found it mentally exhausting to drive really fast, you need to be looking way far ahead to be prepared to change back to the right lane, while looking in your mirror for the teeny tiny car way behind you that will be on your tail in 15 seconds.

They lowered the limit on I-10 in western Texas from 85 to 80 3-4 years ago. I don't know what that was supposed to accomplish.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My favorite traffic sign, only available in Germany unfortunately...

View attachment 149532

Love to ride on the Autobahn, especially for IBA LD rides. During quiet times you can easily do long stretches of 160+ kph (100+ mph) or more. Only drawback is the consumption goes up to around 10l / 100 km (<25 mpg) at these warp speeds, so you lose time with more fuel stops... Still fun to speed around from time to time!
Back in 1990-92, I was a contractor working at Mainz Finthen Army Airfield. Two great years ! One of my only regrets was purchasing a new Harley over at the Weisbaden Exchange, instead of a BMW ! Spent many hours on the autobahn, never getting over around 97 ! The BMW would have served me much better. I shipped the HD home and traded for a R1100RT later. Still have some good ride memories of Holland, Austria, Switzerland and Germany !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts