BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Many parts of Australia have 130kph limits, which equate to 81mph: not too much difference. Much of Europe also tend toward 130kph limits, although places like the Italian Autostrada see that as a guide, not a limit. I moved over for a Fiat with four bulky Carabinieri and a flashing blue light, and I was doing 175kph. I think they were late for lunch?

Getting back to the OP, the Stuart Highway hasn't been unrestricted since November 2016 so there are no unrestricted roads in Australia :cry:

View attachment 149529

edit to add: this photo on the Stuart Highway is the road: it's not a divided highway but just a two lane country road.
You're scooting right on down the road, there. 258 kph (160 mph), eh? Fair to assume you're maxed out?

·
Registered
746 Posts
You're scooting right on down the road, there. 258 kph (160 mph), eh? Fair to assume you're maxed out?
No, it went a bit more but I didn’t get any image. GPS speed reached about 261kph, IIRC, running with a chum on his 14Z who only reached 277kph on his GPS log.

The new bike with Bren Tuning Stage 2 should do better, probably be rev limited.

·
Flying Dutchman
144 Posts
The same sign appears in many areas of Oz, notably NSW with “Drive to conditions” below it. It is legislated to direct that the speed limit applicable to the type of road then applies.
In Germany as well the "drive to conditions" applies, also the "advised speed" is still 130 kph, so if you go (much) faster the liability in case of an accident can get a bit complicated. If somebody pull in front of you and you collide, they would be responsible and liable. However if you were doing 130+ kph, the insurance companies and courts could deem you partly liable as well, so you have to be careful (and well insured) at all times!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts