BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 K1600gtl-e and I got it with a fantastic seat upgrade with back rest. Its super comfy but I have 29" legs and its a little to high for me. I have tried the low BMW seat but frankly hated it due to comfort. I wondered about a sargent seat. I live in Gloucester area and wondered re ideas or if anyone has one to sell or maybe swap

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
You appear to have an Russell Day Long. I'd send it back to them to have it recontoured to your weight, height and leg length. I have nothing to sell or swap, but I can advise you that the RDL on my 2014 GTL/E and 29" legs work nicely. But it was made to order. I've put on 12hr days on it, and it has never been an issue. Highly recommended as a solution and a lot less expensive then getting a new seat.

Reactions: Des Powell

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Be careful, there are differences in the length of the seats between a GTL/E and GT. No harm in trying if you're close enough to try it. If that doesn't work out for you two, Des Powel you might want to wait for the off season and send it back to Russell Day Care for resizing. Not inexpensive with shipping but it's well worth it.

Reactions: Des Powell

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would be interested in swapping + cash? I have 2019 GT. My bikes actually not far from you right now in Oxford
If swapping GT/GTL seat don’t forget you will have to swap the key cylinders - I have no direct experience but read that there is a gap so may not be a straight forward swap and would be interested in hearing your experience about compatibility, good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
If swapping GT/GTL seat don’t forget you will have to swap the key cylinders - I have no direct experience but read that there is a gap so may not be a straight forward swap and would be interested in hearing your experience about compatibility, good luck
I looked into it on the forum this morning, thee are posts from people who have had success doing it for years. Hadn't considered the key cylinder though!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Someone has spent a whole heap of money & time sourcing those RDLs, when you add shipping to these .......... Prices | Custom Motorcycle Seats | Russell Cycle Products

Switching to GT seats is easy enough; the problem will come at re-sale time, when a trader will expect to see a GTL dual seat & price accordingly ......if that matters to you. Have you tried all the option at your local dealer, or only the low?

·
Q
5,296 Posts
I have a 2015 K1600gtl-e and I got it with a fantastic seat upgrade with back rest. Its super comfy but I have 29" legs and its a little to high for me. I have tried the low BMW seat but frankly hated it due to comfort. I wondered about a sargent seat. I live in Gloucester area and wondered re ideas or if anyone has one to sell or maybe swap
RDL will probably charge you less than what a new Sargent seat would cost to trim it down.. provided it doesnt need a new cover. However, sticking with the RDL is absolutely your best option. RDL will want pictures of you sitting on the bike, inseam measurements, height, weight etc.. and they will tune that seat to fit you.

Sargent makes a quality seat.. but they dont make them to fit you and they are hard, kinda like sitting on a concrete park bench.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You appear to have an Russell Day Long. I'd send it back to them to have it recontoured to your weight, height and leg length. I have nothing to sell or swap, but I can advise you that the RDL on my 2014 GTL/E and 29" legs work nicely. But it was made to order. I've put on 12hr days on it, and it has never been an issue. Highly recommended as a solution and a lot less expensive then getting a new seat.
Many thanks... Will look into it. Just wish this one was correct for my height / leg length as its perfect otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone has spent a whole heap of money & time sourcing those RDLs, when you add shipping to these .......... Prices | Custom Motorcycle Seats | Russell Cycle Products

Switching to GT seats is easy enough; the problem will come at re-sale time, when a trader will expect to see a GTL dual seat & price accordingly ......if that matters to you. Have you tried all the option at your local dealer, or only the low?
Thanks.. A lot of info here. Prices look okay but would need to look at costs of shipping there and back too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RDL will probably charge you less than what a new Sargent seat would cost to trim it down.. provided it doesnt need a new cover. However, sticking with the RDL is absolutely your best option. RDL will want pictures of you sitting on the bike, inseam measurements, height, weight etc.. and they will tune that seat to fit you.

Sargent makes a quality seat.. but they dont make them to fit you and they are hard, kinda like sitting on a concrete park bench.
Thanks for the info. I have had a post re sending the RDL back and will look into that. The Sargent seats is a short ride out from me and just may take a trip if they have one in stock I could try. Being a bit harder is fine as long as the shape and height is good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have asked the chaps at Russel and they advise they can do it but it is about £300 post both ways incl taxes before even doing the work. They would do the front part only (Total rebuild at a further 555 dollars.) if it were in this county I would do it but a lot of money is there is an issue

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
At least you have the information you where looking for. Just as an FYI I paid around 2K USD for my RDL, and would do it again in a minute. The seat is that good.
The reason my seat was so expensive is that I choose leather for my 2014 GTL/Exclusive which included replacing the original vinyl for the arm rests and back rests and I choose a backrest and two covers (one cover for the back rest in place and the other cover for the seat without the backrest. Of course all color matched. Their work was remarkable, and was exactly what I needed. Though in retrospect I really didn't need the operators backrest, I rarely use it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts