BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kevin, at MC Rider, produces some great videos but this, in my opinion, is one of his best, yet. Watch this -- it's sobering.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Max BMW makes the best cheese burgers paired with a coke can’t beat it and their waffles ain’t to shabby neither Great Dealership !

·
Registered
984 Posts
Message is on point sir and well taken.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Preaching to the Choir.
I’m not in that Choir, and seldom am convinced of anything by preachers who see everything in black and white. >:)

I will continue to enjoy an occasional beer with my burger and fries when I ride; and at my age am positive I’m in more mortal danger from the burger and fries. But that is my choice. :smile:

Tom

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Sources claim that 30-40% of all motorcycle fatalities involve alcohol impairment. On weekend nights, that nearly doubles to 60-70%.

Even just a drink or two can significantly affect your judgement and response times. And that is the definition of riding impaired...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not in that Choir, and seldom am convinced of anything by preachers who see everything in black and white. >:)

I will continue to enjoy an occasional beer with my burger and fries when I ride; and at my age am positive I’m in more mortal danger from the burger and fries. But that is my choice. :smile:

Tom
I'll drink a beer -- one -- with a meal and continue to ride. At 6' 2" and 200 pounds, a single beer with a meal doesn't impair me. I don't think that's what the video is about.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As a driver and rider who drinks, I support any message to drink responsibly, but oppose hyped up videos like this that lead to banning driving with any alcohol in one's system.

Even taking the inflated statistics at face value, we could eliminate the other 53% of deaths pretty easily. Ban motorcycles.

Every year a daughter loses her father because he chose to ride a motorcycle sober.

It’s time to wake up and stop the lie that motorcycle riding is a lifestyle.

You want to know how to stop all these senseless deaths. Don’t ride.

So what will it be? Continue to live the lie, or continue to live? You can’t have it both ways.

#banmotorcycles #stopsenselessdeaths #eliminate5000highwaydeathsayear

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
It's a known fact that 100% of people who drink H2O end up dead.

#banDihydrogenMonoxide

Statistically, riding motorcycles can be more risky than driving a car.

But as individuals, we can make choices that limit those risks.

Keeping 100% focused on the road, to read and anticipate situations before they become critical.

Taking professional rider training courses, to build your road awareness and evasiveness skills.

Choosing "safer" motorcycles with traction control and ABS, and keeping them in top shape (especially tires and brakes), so you can perfume evasive maneuvers as needed.

And wearing all the gear, to give you the best chance of walking away if it all does go wrong.

Follow those guidelines, and you've already beat 90% of the statistics...

Some riders like to push the limits and chase top speed. Some like to push the limits and scrape pegs. And some like to push the limits and ride thousands of miles.

And each of those things can be done smartly, or stupidly.

It's a free country, we're all adults here, and all of that.

Which means that we all know that our choices do affect us, as well as those around us...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
More so the older I get. Seems the worst preachers are “reformed” anything, who have no problem playing their cards but need to tell everyone else how they should play theirs.

... but that said: I enjoy life. :grin:

Tom
:roeyes:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sources claim that 30-40% of all motorcycle fatalities involve alcohol impairment. On weekend nights, that nearly doubles to 60-70%.

Even just a drink or two can significantly affect your judgement and response times. And that is the definition of riding impaired...
Black and white, 100% of all motorcycle fatalities involve a motorcycle. :surprise:

Anyone who equates a 69 year old rider, who's been riding for over 50 years, having a burger, fries, and an occasional beer with the definition of riding impaired should also define "riding impaired" as anyone still riding over 40. :lol2:

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
As a driver and rider who drinks, I support any message to drink responsibly, but oppose hyped up videos like this that lead to banning driving with any alcohol in one's system.

Even taking the inflated statistics at face value, we could eliminate the other 53% of deaths pretty easily. Ban motorcycles.

Every year a daughter loses her father because he chose to ride a motorcycle sober.

It’s time to wake up and stop the lie that motorcycle riding is a lifestyle.

You want to know how to stop all these senseless death. Don’t ride.

So what will it be? Continue to live the lie, or continue to live? You can’t have it both ways.

#banmotorcycles #stopsenselessdeaths #eliminate5000highwaydeathsayear
The funny thing about statistics is that interpretation can be inflated but in the case the numbers are not. If anything, they are conservative. The stat is that the number is inclusive of alcohol impaired drivers (riders) meaning that they have a blood alcohol content level that qualifies them as 'legally impaired'. That isn't one beer in your system.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The funny thing about statistics is that interpretation can be inflated but in the case the numbers are not. If anything, they are conservative. The stat is that the number is inclusive of alcohol impaired drivers (riders) meaning that they have a blood alcohol content level that qualifies them as 'legally impaired'. That isn't one beer in your system.
Stats also say one hamburger and fries in your system are OK too ... but:

According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity and overweight together are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States, close behind tobacco use. An estimated 300,000 deaths per year are due to the obesity epidemic. :crying:

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

Tom
To continue the religious analogy, I personally do not allow "Demon John Barleycorn" to so much as touch my lips until my riding is totally finished for the day (at which time an adult beverage is often welcome). However, if you're not a tiny person, and you only consume one beer, you're probably OK.

It's also true that you are one most likely to be injured or killed in a collision with a car, rather than anyone in a cage.

So to that extent, if you want to claim it's a gray area, I get it.

Even though I'm a libertarian, however, apart from my own safety, I couldn't live with myself if I caused a wreck and killed an innocent person. With me and luggage on these bikes, they're well over 1k lbs., and that's more than enough to potentially hurt or kill someone else, especially in an accident with a smaller car.

No, I can't so much as tell I've had anything at all other than Coke if I only have one drink with a meal, but researchers claim there's a measurable slowing of reflexes. And I would assume in that research, they corrected for the fact that just eating a large meal while riding can also cause blood to go from brain to gut to start digestion.

If you're legal, it's YOUR choice. No one's gonna claim you're a cruiser bar hopper.

But I would venture to guess even the vast majority of atheists on this forum are in this particular choir.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
... a single beer with a meal doesn't impair me.
Famous last words.

An excerpt from the MSF:

Statistics From Recent Studies (by NHTSA, Florida, Kentucky, and Australia)
• Having any alcohol in one’s body increases the chance of crashing by five times.
• Having a BAC greater than 0.05% increases the risk of crashing about forty-fold.
• 46 percent of all motorcyclists killed in crashes were using alcohol.
• One fourth of all fatal alcohol-related motorcycle crashes involve motorcyclists running
off the road, overturning, or falling from the motorcycle rather than striking another object.

But anyway...I digress. So drink up.

Joe

·
Registered
488 Posts
Famous last words.

An excerpt from the MSF:

• 46 percent of all motorcyclists killed in crashes were using alcohol.

But anyway...I digress. So drink up.

Joe
Gotta love stats, they can't be used to prove all sides of any discussion. MSF and NHTSA Statisticians agree: a greater percentage of all motorcyclists killed in crashes weren't using alcohol. :dunno:

But anyway ... MSF, NHTSA Statisticians and I digress : "So drink up." :cheers:

Tom

1 - 20 of 52 Posts