BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here recuperating with a broken ankle due to a "tip over", I was wondering how many fellow riders have sustained injuries riding.

Mine was a simple tip over with my right ankle caught between the bag and the ground while pulling out from a grassy area. I thought I just sprained it and rode for a few more days with a good limp before I discover it was broken in two places. Now it's six weeks at home with a boot.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Nothing more than my ego.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was injured last year when someone rear end me on the freeway, broken shoulder and ribs and toes

Ruined my lovely 2017 r1200gs, cost $150,000 medical bills

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
Ouch... I hope you are recovering well. Any bikes in your future?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yes. 2 dislocated shoulders, concussion, neck compression, bruised knee cap, and the inability to father children for a few months. :oops:

A bad accident gives you riding perspectives that stay with you forever. The trauma from hitting the ground at high speed is not something I want to experience again. But it sure makes you aware of your mortality.

·
Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
145 Posts
As I sit here recuperating with a broken ankle due to a "tip over", I was wondering how many fellow riders have sustained injuries riding.

Mine was a simple tip over with my right ankle caught between the bag and the ground while pulling out from a grassy area. I thought I just sprained it and rode for a few more days with a good limp before I discover it was broken in two places. Now it's six weeks at home with a boot.
That's terrible about your ankle, I hope it heals fast and well. I've been injured many times riding for 50+ years. I used to race motocross when younger, plenty of missing skin and broken bones back then (broken back, arms, ribs & sternum etc.). On the street I've been hit by cars three times, each time by a female driver who made eye contact with me but still pulled right out into my lane and hit me anyway. My last "bad" street crash was 2012 when I totaled my 2012 Moto Guzzi 1200 Norge GT, got a bad concussion that took my short-term memory for about six months, a broken shoulder and six broken ribs, plus misc. cuts and bruises etc. These days I'm older, slower and more careful, it's been just the occasional tip-over with little or no injuries.
I Still Miss the Moto Guzzi:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ouch... I hope you are recovering well. Any bikes in your future?
The Guy who hit me my bike maxed out his property damage and I replaced the gs with a 2018 r1200gsa with similar miles and I still have my 2015 k1600gt it now has 100,190 miles so I'm probably crazy and ride More than ever

But my shoulder is still sore

·
Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
145 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Really? That happened in your garage? I'd be very interested to know the how and why behind all that injury (if you'd care to post it).
We were riding dirt bikes on the side of a rail road track near my house and I was hit by an Amtrak doing 78mph from behind. We had done this same thing for 30 years on our way to a rock quarry to ride. I was just not paying attention, my bike was loud, helmet was open, he was honking and I was focused on this field crossing to jump it. They said when I landed I got a little squirrely and veered to close to the tracks as it passed and it rear ended me.

Everyone else behind me heard the horns and got out of the way to let it pass.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,562 Posts
On my HD Softail, was braking approaching a traffic light with a car in front stopped waiting to turn left - the front wheel slipped and I put my right leg out and held it up and managed to stop just avoided rear-ending the car.

My knee didn't feel good and was just a short distance from home and when I dismounted I fell to the floor because the knee gave way.

On the way to the hospital minutes later I saw a flat piece of black plastic the size of a cars license tag laying on the road where my incident happened.

X-rays done and was told no major issues and wore a brace for a few months.

A year later my knee would still give way occasionally, so had a CT scan done and it was found that two inner ligaments were severed - the only option was a knee replacement - I opted out and 4 years on its as good as new.

When I was in high school I hit a dog with a small bike - was knocked out - broke my arm and had sutures in my upper lip.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Many people think that after a injury we would be back to Cars but many people seem to get back on a motorcycle,

20 years ago I was hurt much worse on a bicycle, most bicycle riders wear a lot less gear

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,351 Posts
I have been injured - repeatedly. Every bill I get is a little pain.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
In 2004 I tangled with the front end of a car that turned left in front me that netted me 2 broken ribs. I was on a Honda Valkyrie. I could tell the bike was totaled so that night I was on the computer looking for my next bike.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,562 Posts
In 2004 I tangled with the front end of a car that turned left in front me that netted me 2 broken ribs. I was on a Honda Valkyrie. I could tell the bike was totaled so that night I was on the computer looking for my next bike.
I had a similar collision in the early 80's on my Z1000, but was young and agile and only had a sore body for a few days.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts