BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

Premium Member
2019 K1600 GT Sport
Had a low speed 'off' in 2004. Ran in the back of a stopping car (my fault), over the handlebars and was collected by the front of an oncoming car. ONLY a broken leg... but took a little engineering to repair it.

Lost almost 2 inches of bone in the middle of my Tibia (crushed beyond repair), but grew it back over about 18 months with the help of the Ilizarov frame. The bone wasn't fused at this point (So walking around on a broken leg!!) but they encourage you to try and mobilise with the frame on which takes your my weight and is designed to promote bone growth. Happy to say no lasting effects of the incident, other than an ugly leg!!

Joint Shoe Leg Membranophone Knee

Premium Member
Both wife & I have been injured. She was hurt first time in 1996. We were on a 1994 K1100LT in easter Canada, from eastern Washington state. Stopped for fuel at a gas bar just outside of Mattawa Ontario. Bike was overloaded. Came to a stop, there was a lot of gravel & dirt on the pad. Bike front end unloaded, & bike started to tip to the left. We were not moving, so I let it fall. Wife put her left leg out to catch it, & the passenger foot peg hit her lower leg. Trip over. The doctors locally put her in a cast, & we rode to Toronto for her to fly to Harborview hospital in Seattle. There the doctors put a metal rod in her leg, & plates in her ankle to stabilize the leg. She still has them in her leg. I made the trip from Toronto in 2 days. We were in Las Vegas meeting friends from San Diego in 2002. It was mid- July & the heat was horrible. We left Vagas at 3 AM heading for S.D. Got to within 3 miles of their home, got off I-5 & onto Cal. 52. Hit a 2 X 4 on the ramp, I broke 5 ribs left side, collar bone & shoulder blade, with a collapsed left lung, wife broke 2 ribs, collar bone & shoulder blade. I was in ICU for 5 days, wife for 2 days. Vacation over. Bike had over $4K damage but was repaired in S.D. & shipped home to Richland, WA. Medical bills were over $80K for the two of us. Stopped riding in 2018. We live in a tourist town. Normal population of 1500 with 1 stop light. In the tourist season population goes to 6K. It rains a lot here too, about 75-80 inches per year, so riding can be a chore. Too many distracted drivers, & just plain idiots out there for we to feel safe. I'm getting too old, & many physical problems to deal with too. I knew it was time to stop riding before I was 4 seconds away from the immoveable object, with no safe way out.

Registered
Lost almost 2 inches of bone in the middle of my Tibia (crushed beyond repair), but grew it back over about 18 months with the help of the Ilizarov frame
Ha, same here! I had a little over 4" come clear out of my jeans of both tib-fib so when I woke up the first thing they told me was, sorry we couldn't find enough usable bone left so we had to break your hip to harvest some bone. 馃ぃ

Mr.Fix It
Two bad ones... First one plates/screws left fibula, left ankle; healed up pretty quick. Second one, 2 plates/21 screws left tibia; 4 surgeries including Total Knee Replacement, 6 months non-weight bearing, always painful. Both accidents on V-twins. If I'd been riding a Beemer for either wreck I can say with 100% confidence I'd never had gone down.

Duane

Premium Member
April 2004, just purchased my first ST1300 and on first or second ride out to Palm Springs, CA. Transition from the Honda VTX 1800 and was too unfamiliar with the different turning characteristics of each bike. I launched the ST over a survivable cliff on the 74 coming back up from Palm Springs. Was a picturesque 鈥淓vil Knievel鈥. Very clean brake of the left femur and subsequent surgery, titanium rod, etc. Bike totaled. Got off my crutches in early July, went in limping to buy the next ST鈥

Was interesting to hear how many friends/family just utterly shocked I was going to ride again!!

Of course I (we) wouldn鈥檛 change a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2019 K1600 GT Sport
Ha, same here! I had a little over 4" come clear out of my jeans of both tib-fib so when I woke up the first thing they told me was, sorry we couldn't find enough usable bone left so we had to break your hip to harvest some bone. 馃ぃ
I had the same, from the iliac crest if I remember. That was one of the most painful parts to heal. But, like a few have said, the human body is an amazing machine sometimes.

Premium Member
40 years ago, my younger brother was on the back of a '75 Honda 750 four that I was riding. A right turn into a steep driveway and the rear tire lost traction. We both ended up losing skin on our right knees. Thankfully nothing worse than that in all these years.

I have dropped a couple of bikes, which only injured my wallet.

Reactions: Pat3147

Premium Member
I started riding in 1967 and have been in a lot of spills, a lot, including two 1600's that were total write offs. I have had a few broken ribs and a few concussions but for the most part I've done well.
Part of the reason I'm good is the Motoport kevlar suit I wear.

Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
We were riding dirt bikes on the side of a rail road track near my house and I was hit by an Amtrak doing 78mph from behind. We had done this same thing for 30 years on our way to a rock quarry to ride. I was just not paying attention, my bike was loud, helmet was open, he was honking and I was focused on this field crossing to jump it. They said when I landed I got a little squirrely and veered to close to the tracks as it passed and it rear ended me.

Everyone else behind me heard the horns and got out of the way to let it pass.
Thanks for the full story. I'm sure glad you are still with us to tell it 鈽!

Registered
When I was 16 years old I went off a Yamaha 250 Street Scrambler that developed a tank slapper after I hit a bump that was much worse than I had figured. Broke my leg in 2 places, about a quarter inch above the ankle and at the boot top. I had a 3/4 helmet with a bubble face shield. The helmet saved my life, the face shield saved my face. I didn't have a good jacket or pants for riding and got some road rash. Now I am much more careful about any abnormality on the road, but I still ride. I ride with a modular helmet, figuring it offers better protection than the 3/4 type. You never forget the mishap, maybe it makes us a bit wiser, and for sure more careful.

Premium Member
Nothing major. Just a little burn though the sleeve of my jacket... Still dripping about six hours later. The black stuff is melted undergarment.

Attachments

Reactions: Pat3147

Registered
Hit head on by a driver under ther infuence of pain killers and pot. Crossed the double yellow line when she decided to take a nap on the way home from shopping on a beautiful Sunday morning. Shattered right leg and arm, wife had 2 cracked knee caps and a broken right arm. Still love to ride but always on my mind.

Reactions: cboothe
21 - 40 of 59 Posts