BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed another set of bearings along with several other maintenance actions on @Nomad , Herb's '13 GT today, 50k miles. Below is a photo of the bearings with seals removed. The bearings 'seemed' to turn freely, but it can be really hard to check them. Changed them as preventive maintenance. The grease in both bearings was dry, clay like, and there was rust. I've changed over a dozen sets of bearings, most as preventive maintenance, and almost all NEEDED changing. I haven't kept records to know for sure how many miles each set had on them; if I had to guess I'd say around 50k miles. We got lucky with Herb's bike, those bearings would not have lasted much longer. When asked I've recommended changing bearings at 35k-40k miles; it may be the best $20 you've spent on your bike.

Duane

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have mine changed at the 18K but the price they charge for the bearings is absurd and the bearings aren't all that great to begin with. I got to find an all balls alternative which are very good bearings at reasonable price.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Duane, what bearings did you select as replacements? If I remember correctly, they are a fairly common size. I'm only at 13,000 miles, but like to plan ahead.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have mine changed at the 18K but the price they charge for the bearings is absurd and the bearings aren't all that great to begin with. I got to find an all balls alternative which are very good bearings at reasonable price.
Duane, what bearings did you select as replacements? If I remember correctly, they are a fairly common size. I'm only at 13,000 miles, but like to plan ahead.

Duane

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The generic size for the front bearing is 6005-2RS. Measurements are 25mm x 47mm x 12mm

A few years ago I bought 10 bearings/seals from USA Bearings, 10 bearings were about $35.00! Yes, you read that correct, $3.50 EACH. I've used them all up and keep a set of the All Balls in the parts bin for an "as need be" situation. I no longer use them because I run carbon fiber wheels with hybrid ceramic bearings.

Duane

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That could've been ugly. YIKES! Good catch.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Thanks @Gunnert ! You make it easy when the research is half the battle. Knowing that someone has used an item/vendor and it fits it takes the anxiety out of the front end of the process.

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Duane, you say you removed the seals and added grease what kind of tool did you use to remove the seal from the bearing? I assume you don't damage them and they can be pressed back in.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Here is what they look like after only 82,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Duane, you say you removed the seals and added grease what kind of tool did you use to remove the seal from the bearing? I assume you don't damage them and they can be pressed back in.
Jim, I use a scribe to pop the seals out, no damage. You'll be surprised how easy they come out. Do NOT add a lot of grease, just 2-3 dabs, each dab about half the size of a pencil eraser. In the photo below you'll notice the bearing on the right has plenty of grease, turn it over (bearing on left) and there is no grease.

Duane

·
Registered
367 Posts
Great information and thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm going to keep a set for each bike - cheap insurance during tire changes. I made a tool a couple of years ago to press the bearings for just such an eventuality, but hadn't thought about it for a while.
One curiosity. The Amazon description shows the bearings to be lubricated with SRI. I wonder it that stuff will play well with the more popular lithium greases.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I always pop the seal on a bearing before installation and usually add a bit of extra grease. The All Balls are no exception, when they are made grease is only one side of the bearing.
This is good practice, assuming you don't damage the seal when you pop it out to add the grease.

Deep groove ball bearings require more grease in them when they are running slower - such as when they're an automotive wheel bearing - than when they are run at higher speeds. For example, NSK say as a general rule that the bearing should have between 1/3 and 1/2 of its free space filled with grease if it is to be run at 50% or more of its rated maximum speed, but this increases to 1/2 to 2/3 of its free space if it is to be run at less than 50% of its rated maximum speed. If the bearing is run at really low speed then it can be packed almost full to prevent dust and water entry.

Something else to bear in mind is that for wheel bearings, the bearing seals provide secondary protection against water and dust ingress. Primary sealing is provided by the external seal, so always examine the bush that runs in that seal for wear and replace if necessary, and always replace the external seals when you replace the wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@aggieengineer , I deleted my post recommending adding lithium grease to All Balls sealed bearings. I've always done that but can't remember where I got that lithium grease was compatible with All Balls bearings. I know lithium grease is compatible with RB Tech Premium Bearings, 6005-2RS. I'll be ordering a tube of SRI grease and will be using that in the future with All Balls bearings.

Duane

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is good practice, assuming you don't damage the seal when you pop it out to add the grease.

Deep groove ball bearings require more grease in them when they are running slower - such as when they're an automotive wheel bearing - than when they are run at higher speeds. For example, NSK say as a general rule that the bearing should have between 1/3 and 1/2 of its free space filled with grease if it is to be run at 50% or more of its rated maximum speed, but this increases to 1/2 to 2/3 of its free space if it is to be run at less than 50% of its rated maximum speed. If the bearing is run at really low speed then it can be packed almost full to prevent dust and water entry.

Something else to bear in mind is that for wheel bearings, the bearing seals provide secondary protection against water and dust ingress. Primary sealing is provided by the external seal, so always examine the bush that runs in that seal for wear and replace if necessary, and always replace the external seals when you replace the wheel bearings.
Any idea what replacement seals that fits? Also, what procedure does someone recommend for removing and installing the new bearings? Thanks...

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any idea what replacement seals that fits? Also, what procedure does someone recommend for removing and installing the new bearings? Thanks...
The seals come with a set of bearings when you order All Balls from Amazon. You can contact the company/link below to order just seals. Here's what I ordered from them a few years ago:

SKUDetails (2 total products)PriceQuantityAmount
SC SOA001791.125" X 1.875" X 0.250" Inch Oil Seal
$2.77x 12$33.24
6005 2RS 6005 Z6005-2RS, 6005-ZZ BULK Premium Ball Bearings, 25x47x12

Options:
• Please Select: 2RS Bearing-Rubber Seals
• Bulk: Qty 10-Free Shipping (+$28.17)
$28.17x 1$28.17

Duane

1 - 20 of 56 Posts