41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
So which is better the All Balls from Amazon or the USA Bearings?
Timken bearings are considered the standard of the industry. Other than ceramic bearings which are very expensive but are the highest quality, I'd trust the Timken bearing with out a doubt.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Timken bearings are considered the standard of the industry. I'd trust the Timken bearing with out a doubt.
I would too. I am pretty sure those Timken ball bearings are not made in the USA but they likely are made in a Timken plant somewhere around the world (possibly China).

The balls themselves may not be made by Timken because there are only a few ball manufacturers but they probably made the race and the QC and testing should be the same Timken high quality.

The Timken plants in the US have been my main customer for over 30 years and I am in their factories all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Changed another set of bearings along with several other maintenance actions on @Nomad , Herb's '13 GT today, 50k miles. Below is a photo of the bearings with seals removed. The bearings 'seemed' to turn freely, but it can be really hard to check them. Changed them as preventive maintenance. The grease in both bearings was dry, clay like, and there was rust. I've changed over a dozen sets of bearings, most as preventive maintenance, and almost all NEEDED changing. I haven't kept records to know for sure how many miles each set had on them; if I had to guess I'd say around 50k miles. We got lucky with Herb's bike, those bearings would not have lasted much longer. When asked I've recommended changing bearings at 35k-40k miles; it may be the best $20 you've spent on your bike.

Duane
Thanks for showing these photos. Following your lead, I will change mine out at 35-40k. It should be in the book!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bearings made by any of the top-tier manufacturers (SKF, ***, NSK, INA, Timken, etc.) are all reliable. Good luck in determining where they were manufactured though (clue: it’s a glorious irrelevance).

·
Registered
323 Posts
^ That's funny. The forum's profanity filter won’t let me name one of the world’s premier bearing manufacturers :rolleyes:

If you’re interested, it’s three letters: the first is ‘F’, the last is ‘G’, and the one in the middle is ‘A’ :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Bearings made by any of the top-tier manufacturers (SKF, ***, NSK, INA, Timken, etc.) are all reliable. Good luck in determining where they were manufactured though (clue: it’s a glorious irrelevance).
Perhaps; But if I had my choice between a Timken bearing made in the USA vs one made in China or India, I'd go with the USA made product.

·
Registered
323 Posts
if I had my choice between a Timken bearing made in the USA vs one made in China or India, I'd go with the USA made product.
My point is that you won't know where it was made.

From experience, all major bearing manufacturers manufacture globally and mix manufacturing lots in the distribution chain, so it's impossible to identify where any particular bearing was manufactured. This was a real PITA for a company I worked for as we exported spares for our equipment globally and for international trade statistics sellers have to state the country of origin of components on shipping documents. We could never get any of the major manufacturers to give us a country of origin for their products - the best we could ever get was "we manufacture that bearing in these countries, it could have come from any of them" - and we were a big customer for them.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
^ That's funny. The forum's profanity filter won’t let me name one of the world’s premier bearing manufacturers :rolleyes:

If you’re interested, it’s three letters: the first is ‘F’, the last is ‘G’, and the one in the middle is ‘A’ :ROFLMAO:
You mean FĄG?

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Not sure how this thread eluded me when I've been on the forum but kudos to you Duane for putting out an excellent, informative thread. This could just be my imagination but I have seen in recent threads that you seemed to be trying to bust some balls so, if that was the case, it's only fitting that you are also informing us on how to replace them. 😝

I have had good success with the All Balls bearings. However, I did have one that went bad. Around 40k miles I put a set in when replacing the front tire and when I replaced that tire around 7500 miles later I found the right bearing needed to be replaced. It was during this time that I found out I had installed the right bearing incorrectly. Duane does a perfect job in post #21 explaining how to properly install the bearings. I didn't follow that procedure on my first try and ended up putting side thrust on the right bearing when I installed it. I did follow those guidelines the second time and the bearings (All Balls) were still good when I replaced them (preventive maintenance) about 45K miles later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With the current stay at home order during the CORVID-19, I decided to replace my front wheel bearings because I am at 52K and I am installing new tires as well. The install went smooth, the attached pic is of my tools for the job, I used the Motion Pro 25MM split collet removal tool with the MP long driver to remove the bearings and made a couple of driver tools on my lathe for installing the new bearings, shown in the attached pic. I used all balls bearings. My only question is the stock bearings (which were still smooth) say they are made in POLAND, so is a Polish bearing better than the All Balls bearings made in CHINA ?
IMG_2950.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
This should be on the shop's routine maintenance list... My front bearings went out at 75 mph 50 miles East of Memphis TN on the Interstate. Fortunately, my riding mate was able to immediately clear a lane to the shoulder where I was able to safely roll to a stop. I was at 75k miles on the odometer. After getting a tow into Performance Plus BMW Motorcycles of Memphis, they had me back on the road within an hour. Great guys...Great shop...very grateful for their assistance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My bike was purchased late last year. 4000km right now. Changing tires due to picking up a sheet metal screw. I took off the front wheel and the bearing was near seized. Thinking the factory or dealership over torqued. Took to my dealership and they replaced it under warranty.
Good thing I had done this or it probably would have failed on a trip far from home. You just never know..

41 - 56 of 56 Posts