BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
When I got back into riding around 2002, I rented a Harley for two days. The woman I rented from called me and said she had to leave the shop early and, if I wanted, I could keep it for another day, FREE! I said, thanks but that I would return it early, and I did. I think I had to have a couple fillings reset after riding that dang thing for two days. Talk about roasted chestnuts and no guts. Then, I was traveling through Ohio on my Goldwing, and found that a tire I had installed, had deteriorated in about the half the normal life. I usually get 8,000 to 10,000 miles, but this one only had 4,000. The thread was showing in the middle. Very concerned I looked for a MC shop and I found a Harley dealer near my location. They said; "tough luck, but take it somewhere else!"

It's good to hear they may have solved some of their problems. I can only speak for me, and I am not trying to convince anyone else, but those experiences have soured me on Harleys, probably for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My buddy bought a street glide and took the engine out after 100 miles and installed a new screaming eagle 120 crate motor, he had the dealer do everything. It never ran right and he spent almost as much on the new engine as the initial bike. He thought it would be a investment, having a brand new factory engine on a pallet in his garage. Now he has a POS sputtering, backfiring, useless bike that he has spent $40k on and will never be able to sell.
They are so good at marketing, they have brainwashed their customers. How do they do that?

Reactions: SSTwin

·
Mr.Fix It
6,902 Posts
@Jonnybow, that's nothin'... I built a custom bagger in '07 powered with an S&S 124" crate motor, Baker 6 speed, Traxxion forks, 200 mm wide tire frame, Brembo brakes, custom paint, etc, etc, etc. Sold it 5 years later and 1/2 of the money back that it cost me to build (I did ALL the labor save for paint)...

Duane

Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Main reason for still liking Harleys is my memories. Had some great times with great friends and some awesome parties. The rides were great too.

Now, my old Harley friends have either died, moved or stopped riding. When young I accepted all the Harley "personality", Now, have no desire to go back. Every time I ride my B I'm thinking about how amazing and fun this bike is to ride. It's added years to my riding life.

From my personal experience you cannot make a Harley competitive with a new K1600 regardless of how much you invest.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
... So I traded the GTL in on a K1600B Grand America to solve most of the comfort issues. No regrets after doing a 7-1/2 day 2800 mile trip a couple weeks ago.
I'm on the verge of trading in my '15 R1200R on a GTL, to get a more comfortable ride. Interesting that you find the GA more comfortable than the GTL. If you don't my asking, what do you like better about the GA?

·
Registered
386 Posts
My buddy bought a street glide and took the engine out after 100 miles and installed a new screaming eagle 120 crate motor, he had the dealer do everything. It never ran right and he spent almost as much on the new engine as the initial bike. He thought it would be a investment, having a brand new factory engine on a pallet in his garage. Now he has a POS sputtering, backfiring, useless bike that he has spent $40k on and will never be able to sell.
They are so good at marketing, they have brainwashed their customers. How do they do that?
Have your buddy contact Jamie at Fuel Moto in Green Bay Wi. He will make it run.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Main reason for still liking Harleys is my memories. Had some great times with great friends and some awesome parties. The rides were great too.

Now, my old Harley friends have either died, moved or stopped riding. When young I accepted all the Harley "personality", Now, have no desire to go back. Every time I ride my B I'm thinking about how amazing and fun this bike is to ride. It's added years to my riding life.

From my personal experience you cannot make a Harley competitive with a new K1600 regardless of how much you invest.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
If money were no object, I would own Barber Motorsports! Could you imagine the fun you could have selecting any bike you wished from that awesome museum and taking it over to the track for endless hours of riding? As they say, variety is the spice of life!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I agree. Not only is it not the most reliable, but BMWs, cars and mororcyckes have a lot of quirks, some of which drive me nuts. I would pay extra for a Japanese bike that will do what the 1600 will do, have all the features, and be a capable two up bike. Unfortunately they chose different compromises. As it is, my replacement for the 1600 I have now will likely be an FJR if my wife does not ride with me again. And I won t even have to pay extra for it. :wink:
Agreed. The K1600 is not the most reliable bike out there by a long shot, and there are a lot of things it could/should do better. But overall it’s suits me well but I wouldn’t rule out an FJR next time around.

Some people always say that whatever brand/model they own (car, truck, boat, rain gear, etc) is the best thing out there and talk up the product like they own majority of the shares in the said company. I’ve always been an honest guy about my purchases; I’ll admit it’s faults.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Some of the stupid comments on this thread make me want to stop looking at new BMW Motorcycles. Sort of like Harley Davidson Derangement Syndrome!
Pete
Welcome to the forum. The best way to get out is the "log out" button in the top right corner. Stay a while if you'd like or don't, that's the beauty of a forum.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Agreed. The K1600 is not the most reliable bike out there by a long shot, and there are a lot of things it could/should do better. But overall it’s suits me well but I wouldn’t rule out an FJR next time around.

Some people always say that whatever brand/model they own (car, truck, boat, rain gear, etc) is the best thing out there and talk up the product like they own majority of the shares in the said company. I’ve always been an honest guy about my purchases; I’ll admit it’s faults.
And I try to address the faults as much as my skill and aftermarket parts will allow.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm on the verge of trading in my '15 R1200R on a GTL, to get a more comfortable ride. Interesting that you find the GA more comfortable than the GTL. If you don't my asking, what do you like better about the GA?
I am likewise curious also. I recently test rode both back to back and found the comfort nearly identical. The floorboards on the GA look like they would be nice to have on long stretches, but otherwise I found them nearly identical in the seat, wind protection and overall ergonomics. My wife on the other hand found them night and day different.

·
Registered
861 Posts
... I found them [GTL and GA] nearly identical in the seat, wind protection and overall ergonomics. My wife on the other hand found them night and day different.
I assume that she sits so much higher on the back seat of the GTL that there is more wind buffeting, but evidently that can be addressed with large aftermarket wind shields. Are there other things she found significantly different? She preferred the GA?

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
480 Posts
I assume that she sits so much higher on the back seat of the GTL that there is more wind buffeting, but evidently that can be addressed with large aftermarket wind shields. Are there other things she found significantly different? She preferred the GA?
Yes, the height of the seat was 90% of the issue. I don’t recall if the seat was much different, or the grab handles and pegs. She far, far prefers the GA. If I bought a GTL, our long distance touring days would be over.

Yes, a different shield might work, but I have yet to find a dealer willing to mount one for a test ride. And I’m not willing to spend $27,000 on speculation. :serious:

·
Mr.Fix It
6,902 Posts
@Voyager77, so what is your current long distance touring bike that works better than GT/GTL?

Duane

81 - 100 of 133 Posts