BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I feel your pain. Yesterday, I did a 200+ mile loop through the mountains in back of Santa Barbara, and then down the coast taking in some incredible vistas. If things get worse, our crazy Governor might try to impose highway travel restrictions. In the mean time, I'm going to try to quarantine myself on the GTL as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I worked. We had a full day of mobile crane flying equipment to the mechanical penthouse addition project we’re on at the moment. It is at a human pharma production plant. It will have an exemption to the restrictions coming in less than 30 hours. Right now, wife and I are sheltering in place watching Superbowl 54 replay!!! Most of the city might be doing the same.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Took the rock crawler to the mountains for a little snow wheeling action. At 7K feet on a beautiful day it couldn't be beat. Hardly anybody out today, and NOBODY where we go! It was fantastic!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
They shut down the border between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick this morning to non essential travel. Visitors to NS must self isolate for 14days. Police will fine people not isolating or maintaining distance. Unprecedented. Hopefully this will resolve itself before motorcycle weather and trip plans to the Cabot Trail.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Halfway through my seven day work week...only one in my ops support center, so I am pretty isolated ;) Not too many people in the rest of the building...

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
My wife and I decided to get some fresh air. We took out the UTV for a 45 mile out thru the ranch country. Only saw one person, out running.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Its March in western Colorado which means we can have really nice days, really bad ones and it can go from one to the other and back again in 15 minutes.

Ive been busy in the shop but the next “nice day” opportunity I have... the XR is coming out to play!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Went for a ride yesterday on my GA - just had to go (as we all know). It was 38 degrees out. Just bundled up and put my seat and handle heat on 5. It was eerie how empty the streets were - like being in one of those post apocalyptic movies. Loved the ride - last about one hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got out Saturday for a couple of hours. Just tooled around wine country here in Oregon. Under normal conditions I wouldn't go near those roads on a Saturday. They would be packed with half drunk wine tasters out enjoying the beautiful weather. With all the wineries closed it was pretty darn sweet. So, a quick ride and got the yard cleaned up. Not a bad weekend actually. We are preparing for a "stay at home" order from the Governor today at some point. Beaches were packed this weekend and she didn't care for it, so now we will pay the price. Should be an interesting couple of weeks.

Zach

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think riding my GTL isn't likely to spread the corona virus, so I am still riding locally - up to a couple hours or so. No stops other than gas and I wear disposable gloves at the pump and don't get anywhere near anybody else. So far, the city of Everett (just north of Seattle) is the only place in Washington state that has a mandatory order to stay home. Oddly, the Boeing plant there is designated an essential business so it isn't closed. I guess the airlines still need new airplanes delivered - not. I think the governor isn't calling for mandatory shelter in place is to try to get the public to buy in and go along without the "the government is not telling me what to do" backlash.

[Added Note: I just found out that the Everett shutdown is a "mayoral directive" and is not a mandate. I don't know what the difference is. Something between a request and an order evidently. I just saw a report that a guy in Taiwan who had been in mainland China was told by their government to self-isolate at home, but he went out partying at a nightclub and was fined the equivalent of $33,000 USD. Now that is taking it seriously. ]

If they order us to stay home, I'll comply. Even though it doesn't really increase the public risk for me to out there as long as I don't crash and consume EMS and hospital resources, it makes it harder for law enforcement to enforce the mandate. That's a good enough reason for me. Governments don't make an order like that lightly, they understand the economic impact. Once the infection levels get beyond a certain point, identifying infected people and tracing all contacts to isolate them (what South Korea did early on, check out their infection curve) just isn't feasible because there are way too many contacts to trace.

I hear the recent opinions about the cure being worse than the disease. I don't agree. The economy will come back, but our friends and relatives that die will not. Of course I'm glad that measures are currently being taken to try to help the economy, but the priority right now should be on saving lives and helping people that have lost their jobs survive until the economy recovers - basics like food, shelter and critical medicines. We should be putting our attention on expanding critical care capability instead of bailing out the cruise lines.

Just my opinion. Take care and be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
It was wet this weekend, so I self-isolated in the garage for part of the day. Amongst other things, I replaced the brake pads and fluid on the big girl. Speed bleeders and disposable fluid bags make it clean and easy.

I'm also testing some recipes on my new Camp Chef Smoker. Today I'm going to try my hand at Beef Jerky. I LOVE beef jerky and usually have some on hand in my office. I picked up a 2 lb. London Broil, sliced it as then as I could, and had it marinating in a ground pepper, soy sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire, cayenne concoction last night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I rode Saturday morning, put the risers on the bike and went back out. Definite improvement for me as far as handling characteristics. I'm new to having options on any motorcycle and was pleasantly surprised how handy the heated grips and seat are.

Reading JustCharlie's post brings me back to my Navy days in Oak Harbor. Man I miss cruising around that beautiful state on two wheels. The Cascades, Olympic peninsula, fantastic riding. I often wonder what the **** I'm still doing in NJ LoL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess riding with a full face shield and wearing gloves brings a new meaning to "protective gear". The one silver lining in all this is I haven't seen our heard much talk/stories in the media about climate change. Was getting tired of hearing that we were all going to melt in a toxic heap of plastic.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Sadly there's only one sure fire way to stop this thing killing a lot of people and that's to stay at home. Boring yes, tedious yes, but the alternative is catastrophic. I'm in Austria right now hunkered down in my little Schloss. Italy is 2-3 hours away and they're taking the bodies away by truck to industrial morgue's.........sort of puts a bike ride into perspective?

Anyway guys we truly hope you guys in the States are spared the worst of this.

STAY HOME, STAY SAFE AND PROTECT EVERYONE.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Who is the good looking mutt on the end of the lead?
Better clarify that you mean the 4-legged one, otherwise.......

Donna will find You and ???? You 😁

1 - 20 of 31 Posts