BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for the info. It appears tankslapper has a better deal than the ebay post I found.

Did you do it yourself? If so, was it easy for a beginner and how long did it take? What did you do to prep?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I have done them all myself. The videos they have on the Tankslapper site were helpful and there are probably bunches of other content out there with helpful tips of how to install the film.

Here are some things that I've learned:

• Have a clean surface to start with. Any small bug gut gets amplified into a bubble when you put the film over a surface that is pretty clean but not extremely clean.
  • The film is precut. However, it is on one large sheet. Cut each individual piece out of the large sheet and label them so you know what goes where.
  • It may sound silly but buying an extra item or two of their lower cost pieces such as adding the "TOP TANK EXPANDED" to their TOTAL PROTECTION KIT for $5 each and using that as a starter piece. It is an inexpensive way to see how good your touch is. Another option is getting some of their bulk film at $14 for 24" x 12", cut it to get close to what is provided in the kit and see how well you do at applying it.
  • Start with something without too many curves.
  • Apply in a shaded area but warm temperatures. Have good application tools like they show you in the videos and sell on the site and have a heat source like a hair dryer to help make the film in the application process.
  • Use sharp/new scissor and/or knife if you make any cuts.

Those are the general things that stand out to me that would help anybody doing this. For those with more specific interest I've learned:

• It is easier to work on the body panes when they are off the bike than on the bike. I generally put the film on the bikes when they are new. I remove the panels to neatly run the wires for my radar detector and extra GPS and while the panels are off I put the film on the panels.
  • Dry fit everything. If it looks like you can manipulate the film to conform to the panel as it is cut from the supplier, go for it. If you don't think you can don't be afraid to trim a bit. I often cut off 1/8" to 1/4" of the film. This does not cover quite as much but I don't have to be an expert to perfectly apply it either.
  • When dry fitting a large piece, if it does not look like you can make it work at full size you can sometimes cut it in two pieces in an area which is not as visible and work with two smaller pieces, vs. one larger piece. I think it is the side gas tank piece I often break into two pieces.
It is best to install the pieces as they are cut from the supplier. I'm just not quite good enough to do that so trimming the film a bit before installation and sometimes cutting larger or more complex shapes into two pieces has been helpful to me.

Hopefully you are better than me and take off and run with it. Many can and do a much better job than me. Hope you're one of them but if you need a crutch like I do, don't let it hurt your pride. It is better to leave a small amount of the bike unprotected than it is to have an edge of the film compromised.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can't seem to get tankslappers to respond to me anymore. Any other reputable suppliers?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I can't seem to get tankslappers to respond to me anymore. Any other reputable suppliers?

Sorry you're not having good luck getting a response from Tankslapper. Though I've had good luck with Tankslapper products, I've not often gotten much response from them via email. Calling was a bit better.

I ordered a new kit for my GTL about 2 weeks ago and received the product promptly. I've not opened the package yet but expect it will be the same good product I've gotten from them many times before.

I tried to find other places folks have gotten kits for the K1600's and it appears the folks who offered these kits when these bikes first hit the market are no longer offering them. Two places where folks have gotten protective film cut for the K1600 in the past are here: https://www.autotrimdesign.net/item.asp?cID=&PID=3315, where they appear to still have options listed for the K1600 but it is probably gen 1 and is not clear or this place: Paint Protection Film Kits - Page 1 - ClearDefender, where I no longer see the K1600 listed. It is possible they may be able to help if you contact them.

It may be good to try investigating local shops who apply this type of film. When these conversations about wrapping the bikes first came up on this forum a bunch of years ago some folks found shops willing to do the job for them in the $300 to $500 range. The kit I just got from Tankslapper was a bit over $200. I'd gladly pay another $100 to $200 to have somebody do it for me. The reason I keep going back to Tankslapper is I can't find a place close to me to do the job for less than about $800 and I could not justify that cost.

If you reach out to some folks near you who do this work, maybe you'll get lucky like some other folks here have and find a place willing to do the job for a cost closer to the material cost from Tankslapper.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The issue ive been discussing with Tankslapper is whether the front fender protection on their kit is compatible with the chrome strips on the side of the front fender of the Option 719 bikes. Apparently they don't have a 719 bike at any of their local dealers to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ordered headlamp protection film today from Lamin-x. Will report on its ease of installation once it arrives. I’ve used similar on several previous bikes with no complaints (not broken lenses).

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
The issue ive been discussing with Tankslapper is whether the front fender protection on their kit is compatible with the chrome strips on the side of the front fender of the Option 719 bikes. Apparently they don't have a 719 bike at any of their local dealers to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Tankslapper fender protection that comes in their Total Protection kit would not likely go to on the 719 fender as the kit comes from Tankslapper and how the 719 fender comes from BMW. I just installed that fender protection on my non-719 GTL front fender and the film comes all the way to the edge of the painted portion and it appears the chrome trim on the 719 fender does overlap the painted portion a bit.

Good news is it appears the chrome trim may be able to be reomved without too much effort.

Take a look at the picture below. There may be a way to unscrew and pop off the chrome trim, apply the film and reinstall the chrome.

If it is not possible to take the chrome on and off you can always trim the film to meet your needs. I trim my Tankslapper film on most of my installs because my install skill is not good enough to take the film right to the edges of the parts as intended by Tankslapper. I trim about 1/8" to 1/4" off some sections of the pieces that have more contour to them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Tried the full clear mask covering the painted surfaces on a K1200S I owned back in 2006. Just didn’t like covering painted finishes with film. It was hard to keep the finish looking good. I’ve recently used 3m film to protect plastic headlight and auxiliary light lenses and prefer film over acrylic covers secured with dual-lock. I just ordered the K1600GT headlight film.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I finally got around to installing the Lamin-X on my B's headlight lens. Pretty simple - just followed the instructions.

Only thing I can point out is to not get too anal about the small air bubbles or areas that don't appear to be fully adhered - after a week or two of warm weather, they were all gone.

Not gonna protect against big stones but grit and road rash should be covered. $30 well spent.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I bought and used the Lamin-X product. I work at an auto dealership so I had the film professionally installed. The installer mentioned the Lamin-X film was thicker than the product he uses on cars---I think that's a good thing but it isn't perfectly transparent (slight "wave" in the film due to it's thickness). The film came pre-cut of course but he was surprised it wasn't precision laser-cut to fit the headlight perfectly and it needed to be trimmed around the entire diameter.

End result is the product is very nice--just might be hard for someone inexperienced to install. The pro who installed mine did a great job. It's almost undetectable and very happy with the result. I personally prefer film to a plastic cover attached to the headlight with dual-locks. No having to remove the cover to clean and looks better IMO.

As I said....almost undetectable!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
The film came pre-cut of course but he was surprised it wasn't precision laser-cut to fit the headlight perfectly and it needed to be trimmed around the entire diameter.
Yes, I wondered about that myself but I think they give you that extra bit to help you install it without getting your fingerprints on the actual part that covers the lens. It also gives you some slack in case you get it off center a bit.

It was only about 3/8" that needed to be trimmed on mine and it wasn't all the way around. What I did was wait 24 hours and trim it with the supplied razor knife - took about 5 minutes.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts