BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for several years but it might be time to look around at what's available today and replace it and this might be a good time of year to catch things on clearance. Any who, if you were going out to buy heated gear today, what would you chose and why?

I recently scored a new pair of First Gear heated gloves from a clearance deal at Bob's. They use the same type of connector as Gerbing so they're plug and play with my Gerbing jacket liner. Any thoughts on the First Gear jacket liner?

Something else I'm seeing as I shop around is wireless temp controllers. How's that work and if you've used one how is it working out for you?

I'm headed off to ferry a bike from LA to Anchorage so we'll be riding through BC and the Yukon at the end of April. I'm expecting my heated gear to be an absolute necessity as we get farther north.

The collective wisdom here has never let me down! Help me decide what to buy!

·
Mr.Fix It
7,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Wes, I'm a big fan of WarmNSafe. Their wireless, battery powered, remote works great. I've got a couple of friends with the new Heated Layer and they swear by it!

Men's Heated Layer for 12 Volt Gear - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

Duane
Fully agree. I upgraded my aging gerbings gear a few years ago with a full head to toe WarmNSafe set up and wireless controller and couldn't be happier.

The wireless controller is perhaps the best. One wire from bike to jacket and that's it. So much better than the wires and controllers hanging off your jacket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
Wes, I'm a big fan of WarmNSafe. Their wireless, battery powered, remote works great. I've got a couple of friends with the new Heated Layer and they swear by it!

Men's Heated Layer for 12 Volt Gear - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

Duane
Great advice.

My wife and I recently got Warm & Safe gear. I got the jacket, she got the heated layer. For short jaunts (commuting, e.g), the heated layer is a bit of a pain since you effectively have to change shirts unless you want to wear it off the bike while the jacket is a jacket. When she rides to work (about 40 miles) she has to change...she wouldn't want to wear it all day at work. For longer journeys, the heated layer would be great, comfortable and the same warmth with 1/2 the power since it is closer to your body.

And we love the wireless controllers. They're mounted on the handlebars of our bikes with Dual-Lock strips and she can easily remove hers in order to ride with me.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts

The collective wisdom here has never let me down! Help me decide what to buy!
I'm thinking an advanced purchase of a minimum of 10 sessions of couch time? >:)

The wireless controllers work well. Spare batteries.

Quite the adventure Wes.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. That's the kind of endorsement that I was looking for. Thank you - all of you.

Steve, I've been doing forum therapy all winter long and now it's time to get off the couch and hit the road and trail!

Would I be correct that this gear uses the same coax style connector as my Gerbing and First Gear?

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, now I'm back looking for some advice from you Warm & Safe guys. There's several choices there:

Heat Layer - looks like a base layer instead of a mid-layer. Not sure how I feel about having this thing directly against my skin without my normal under armor type base layer. I guess one advantage of the Heat Layer solution is that I'm not fussing with a mid-layer. Just my Klim Badlands going on and off over the Heat Layer. I guess I could still wear the Heat Layer over a thin Under Armor t-shirt? Thoughts?

Gen 3 vs Gen 4 liners vs the waterproof heated liner? Any thoughts on these?

Thanks again!

Wes

·
Mr.Fix It
7,191 Posts
The decision between the Heat Layer and Liner is up to you. Personally I don't like wearing anything that clings to me so the Heat Layer won't be on my stocking list anytime soon. I have the Gen 3 Liner with no complaints but would buy the latest edition, Gen 4, if I needed another one. I don't usually wear "long" sizes but opted for the long liner for the extra length in the body. Waterproofing shouldn't be an issue, it's worn under the jacket. As I'm sure you know, you don't want a loose fitting jacket. When it's REALLY cold, <35 I wear mid-weight fleece or similar over the liner and under the jacket.

Duane

Reactions: Pitts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sounds like you're going with Warm & Safe as I will be next round too.

One note about the battery powered controller that caught my eye was Andy's (Armorley) post (may have been on the STOwner's forum) but he got caught out in a cold wet ride because the controller battery went dead. I think that would be my only reservation about the wireless controller.

I had the old Gerbings which I really liked but they finally have started to fail (Gerbings XE jacket and pants and T5 gloves). Then I bought the new style Gerbings (logo'd with Gyde on them) and they work great; however, I hate them. They are the biggest pain in the duff to get in and out of. The legs are no longer full length zipper, like the XE's, and they are very bulky so I have to remove my boots to put them on and take them off. As for the jacket, the cuff is so tight that every time I remove the jacket I pull the sleeves inside-out just to get my hand free. It seems even bulkier than the pants. So, geared up with them I feel like the kid in the Christmas Story movie.

I took the quilted liner out of new Gerbings jacket and wear it as a liner with my Klim jacket. As for the pants, I wear the old XE's (had to replace the zippers on them recently) because they work fairly good. When it gets into the 20's and lower I'm forced to go to the new Gerbings pants which also have a quilted liner. It heats much better than the old.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,191 Posts
WarmNSafe recommends changing the battery on the Heat-Troller annually. For several years I commuted daily into DC from northern Virginia; 105 miles roundtrip, never had the batteries go dead.

Duane

Reactions: amorley and Pitts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
And I thought I read that the default to 30% in the absence of a troller?

Reactions: Pitts

·
Registered
961 Posts
WarmNSafe recommends changing the battery on the Heat-Troller annually. For several years I commuted daily into DC from northern Virginia; 105 miles roundtrip, never had the batteries go dead.

Duane
Good to know, thanks. I know what is on my list next winter.

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
Sounds like you're going with Warm & Safe as I will be next round too.

One note about the battery powered controller that caught my eye was Andy's (Armorley) post (may have been on the STOwner's forum) but he got caught out in a cold wet ride because the controller battery went dead. I think that would be my only reservation about the wireless controller.
When you plug in the power on the Warm & Safe, it goes to 1/3 power. So, you get something even if the controller dies. It may not be as much as you want, but it is better than nothing.

Also, I believe the controller only transmits when the knob is turned. It relays the signal to the receiver, perhaps a few times to make sure it is received, or maybe it gets a confirmation that it was received (not sure). After that, it is mostly powered off. So, in effect, the batteries will drain based based on how much you adjust the heat level as well as just overall time.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My battery lasts more than a year, I make it a habit to change it once a year or before any long mutliple day ride towards the end of the riding sseason. It uses a common AA or AAA battery and takes litterally 2 mins to change. All you need is a small Phillips screwdriver and the battery, both can be purchased while on the road at any Walgreens, Rite Aid etc.

It's seriously not an issue to be concerned about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
As others have said I have the Powerlet brand remote, same wireless remote as the others just a different label on it. I have used this with their Rapid Fire jacket and glove liners for 4 winters now. Just change the batteries (AAA) every year and you will be good to go. Powerlet no longer makes this jacket but its just like the First gear and Warm & Safe products. I also pull the batteries out of the remote thru the summer to prevent any damage from corrosion.

Mark

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
If heading out on such a trip I would be real tempted to have both the mid layer AND a Gen 3/4 Jacket!! The mid layer is great for over a UA type short or long sleeve shirt. The more I have used it the more I swem to favor it over the jacket as it means less bulk going down the road. Having been sruck once with a failing piece of heated gear I do think both would be on my packing list.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If heading out on such a trip I would be real tempted to have both the mid layer AND a Gen 3/4 Jacket!! The mid layer is great for over a UA type short or long sleeve shirt. The more I have used it the more I swem to favor it over the jacket as it means less bulk going down the road. Having been sruck once with a failing piece of heated gear I do think both would be on my packing list.
Thanks for the advice. My plan was to wear whatever new gear I get and bring my Gerbing jacket liner as a back up. I might bring two pairs of heated gloves as well. I hope the weather on this trip is moderate and not as bad as it could be but as my old boss and mentor used to say to me "Hope is a poor planning tool."

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks for the advice. My plan was to wear whatever new gear I get and bring my Gerbing jacket liner as a back up. I might bring two pairs of heated gloves as well. I hope the weather on this trip is moderate and not as bad as it could be but as my old boss and mentor used to say to me "Hope is a poor planning tool."
Which size of Warm’n’Safe jacket would you take? I could direct you to a used medium Gen4...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts