BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Which size of Warm’n’Safe jacket would you take? I could direct you to a used medium Gen4...
How do the sizes compare? I use a Large t-shirt to form fit me and an XL to hang loose on me.

·
KBiK
1,559 Posts
+1 on Warm n' Safe Gen 4 liner and touring gloves

+1 on changing out the batteries annually on the Warm n' Safe remote heatroller

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK guys, while I was away last week camping at the beach, my Warm and Safe gear arrived. I assembled the wireless two channel receiver in to the jacket (it came already paired from the factory) and took it out to the bike to test it. I didn't have to install the battery cable as all of my bikes already have an fused pigtail for direct power.

Sitting on my bike with it idling, I'm going to say that the heat given off by the jacket wasn't overwhelming. It's 44 degrees here today and with the jacket liner turned all the way up, it felt warm and comfortable. If I'd turned by Gerbing all the way up, it would have cooked me.

I plugged in my First Gear heated gloves that I picked up recently on clearance. Same, maybe even less heat in the gloves turned all the way up. I sat there for maybe 5 minutes waiting for them to really kick in and it never did. My Gerbing gloves never saw full power even in sub freezing temps.

I'm going to reserve judgement on them for now as I was just idling in the driveway and probably just putting out between 12 and 13V. On the go, it should be providing better power to the clothes and will hopefully be better.

The amount of heat they were giving off on full would have been comfortably warm on a day like today here but I'm anticipating riding in some pretty dang cold weather in a few weeks. I will probably bring my Gerbing as a backup i case this gear isn't up to roasting my chestnuts.

Any thoughts here amongst the WarmNSafe faithful? Is it that I was testing them at idle or are they true to their name "Warm"NSafe vs. the HotNToasty of my Gerbing gear?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,233 Posts
Wes, you have to use a layer over the heated jacket; something like a fleece or light down mid-layer. I came back from a rally in Florida during a cold spell in January on a Sunday. Temperature started at 31 and was 19 by the time I got home. I could not run the heated liner on high with a mid layer over the top and under a Klim jacket.

Duane

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Agree with gunnert as I also was a little underwhelmed when making my first W& S purchase. (I was coming off a well worn Powerlet jacket that would fry bacon in a jam!)

As far as the gloves, just my opinion with limited use of 3 brands, i think those may be somewhat of a weak link for W& S. Hands seem to stay within a reasonable range but nothing like the heated glove liners I used to use.
If packed up and getting ready to move out, I think Gunnert may be right and you'll be good to go.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I have a older Gerbing Liner that I love, but would really like to see a base layer pant.

+ whatever on the wireless controller. Change the batteries every spring and all is well.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Need to be careful with some of that gear that gets really hot. I've burned my foot and chest, as in a burn with welts and pain from cranking my gear on high because I was still cold.

Better to have layers over your heated gear and having the heated gear on a lower temp than to have the gear as your only heat source.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wes, you have to use a layer over the heated jacket; something like a fleece or light down mid-layer. I came back from a rally in Florida during a cold spell in January on a Sunday. Temperature started at 31 and was 19 by the time I got home. I could not run the heated liner on high with a mid layer over the top and under a Klim jacket.

Duane
Thanks Duane. I usually wear a long sleeve thin wicking pass layer; then the jacket liner; then my Klim Badlands Jacket. If the weather is cool enough I'll get to try it out when we meet up on Thursday. That'll be a nice longish ride down and back for me.

I intentionally bought it in a size that would be form fitting on me and a Large is exactly right. There's no bunching or loose liner anywhere and it fits me snugly without restricting my movement.

On the gloves, we're on 1200GS bikes for the Alaska ride and they have hand guards to deflect the wind and heated grips with two settings: very hot and searing. I can't run my GS grips on the high setting even with thick winter gloves and it cold weather. I have the pants of a Gerbing eXTreme suit that I'm trying to decide if I'll bring that or my Klim pants. The pants have always been fine just wearing a merino wool base layer under them.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I had an issue with Gerbings gear giving me second degree burns due to a hot spot on my hip where all the wires came together. Not fun at all...

In contrast, I've used the Warm & Safe down to 19°F, and had to turn it down because I was a bit too warm.

The rest of your gear (inner & outer layers) does matter here, but W&S is more than up to the job at hand.

Reactions: Pitts and Marc11

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
OK guys, while I was away last week camping at the beach, my Warm and Safe gear arrived. I assembled the wireless two channel receiver in to the jacket (it came already paired from the factory) and took it out to the bike to test it. I didn't have to install the battery cable as all of my bikes already have an fused pigtail for direct power.

Sitting on my bike with it idling, I'm going to say that the heat given off by the jacket wasn't overwhelming. It's 44 degrees here today and with the jacket liner turned all the way up, it felt warm and comfortable. If I'd turned by Gerbing all the way up, it would have cooked me.

I plugged in my First Gear heated gloves that I picked up recently on clearance. Same, maybe even less heat in the gloves turned all the way up. I sat there for maybe 5 minutes waiting for them to really kick in and it never did. My Gerbing gloves never saw full power even in sub freezing temps.

I'm going to reserve judgement on them for now as I was just idling in the driveway and probably just putting out between 12 and 13V. On the go, it should be providing better power to the clothes and will hopefully be better.

The amount of heat they were giving off on full would have been comfortably warm on a day like today here but I'm anticipating riding in some pretty dang cold weather in a few weeks. I will probably bring my Gerbing as a backup i case this gear isn't up to roasting my chestnuts.

Any thoughts here amongst the WarmNSafe faithful? Is it that I was testing them at idle or are they true to their name "Warm"NSafe vs. the HotNToasty of my Gerbing gear?
Take it out for a ride and dial up the rpms before you pass judgement.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
There is a “feature” of the wireless controller that may be in play here. Try doing this: Turn off the wireless controller and then turn it back on again and you will probably get the full 90 watts of heat. The controller is designed to revert to 30% heat after sync with receiver has been disrupted. So for example, if you wear the liner into a restaurant and the unit loses the signal when you resume ridig it will output only 30% until you turn off the controller and turn it back on. This is a good thing. A back up system in a way. No matter what goes wrong with your controller (dead battery!) you will always have at least 30% heat available. Look at the FAQ’s on the W&S website, I think it is addressed there. Hope this helps. This is really great equipment.

Also, I assume that you arent running the gloves on the same circuit as the liner? If so, and the liner is at 30%, well.....

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK, got out for a couple hundred miles with the gear today when I rode down to meet up with Gunnert at Morton's BMW. It was cool weather (around 50) and there was plenty of heat. I don't think I ever used more than about 1/3rd scale on the jacket liner about about half scale on the gloves. Working great and I really like the ease of using the wireless controller.

Thanks for all the advice. This forum continues to improve the quality of my riding.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
The decision between the Heat Layer and Liner is up to you. Personally I don't like wearing anything that clings to me so the Heat Layer won't be on my stocking list anytime soon. I have the Gen 3 Liner with no complaints but would buy the latest edition, Gen 4, if I needed another one. I don't usually wear "long" sizes but opted for the long liner for the extra length in the body. Waterproofing shouldn't be an issue, it's worn under the jacket. As I'm sure you know, you don't want a loose fitting jacket. When it's REALLY cold, <35 I wear mid-weight fleece or similar over the liner and under the jacket.

Duane
Going back a couple years @Gunnert...so I am in for the Warm and Safe mid layer (maybe the glove liners). My first email exchange with Mike was informative, I sent a request for a conversation and am waiting for the response on that. As I research this, read this thread, I am thinking; thin or thick base layer ( I wear UA), heated W/S jacket liner and then you prefer to put a another layer over the heated liner when it's sub 35. Is this accurate? A couple things. Is the W/S liner form fitting enough or designed that way to throw a shirt over it? When it's not super cold is the W/S liner enough heat just with the base layer? I wear the Motoport mesh/kevlar two piece set up so Mike at W/S did recommend the waterproof heated liner, I agree on that. Just like all of us, the least amount of bulk, the better.

So operationally with this set up clearly you have to remember to unplug yourself before you get off the bike...does the wired piece of this become cumbersome in any way?

Thanks in advance for any input from current users!!

·
Mr.Fix It
7,233 Posts
@Thomas , the W&S jacket liner is form fitting and you want it that way. If you go this route and it's baggy on you send it back for a smaller size. It should fit comfortable over a long sleeve shirt/UA underwear/etc. If I was to add a shirt over the top of the jacket it would have to be at least one size larger than I currently wear. When it's REALLY cold I add an outer layer to the W&S jacket liner; usually a thin down/insulated, mid-layer type, jacket.

If you're everyday gear is the Motoport then I assume you put a rain layer over the top of that for wet weather riding. If my assumption is correct then you wouldn't need a waterproof heated liner.

I don the W&S gear when temps get into the high 40s range. Your Motoport is going to allow cold air to scrub heat of the W&S liner. I think you'll find you'll always need to at least wear a mid-layer over the W&S or your rain gear over the Motoport.

I use the W&S remote troller. The controller part of the troller that stays with the liner fits into a pocket. The only thing hanging out is the plug that you connects you to your bike's battery. It is not cumbersome and you will occasionally forget to unplug before you get off the bike. I've done that many times. So far it hasn't been an issue, the plug just comes loose.

Duane

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Thanks Duane. Always more gear to buy. This stuff sounds well worth the price.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
OK, now I'm back looking for some advice from you Warm & Safe guys. There's several choices there:

Heat Layer - looks like a base layer instead of a mid-layer. Not sure how I feel about having this thing directly against my skin without my normal under armor type base layer. I guess one advantage of the Heat Layer solution is that I'm not fussing with a mid-layer. Just my Klim Badlands going on and off over the Heat Layer. I guess I could still wear the Heat Layer over a thin Under Armor t-shirt? Thoughts?

Gen 3 vs Gen 4 liners vs the waterproof heated liner? Any thoughts on these?

Thanks again!

Wes
I just took delivery of the Warm n Safe Shirt and Gloves liner with dual remote controller. I used them a few days ago for a 4 hr freeway ride in temps ranging from 4-8oC in torrential rain. I have never been so comfortable and warm in such atrocious conditions. The controller enables fine temp control, which is almost instant and works straight out of the box.

Like you I own a Klim Badlands Suit. All I wore for my trip was a microfiber long sleeved undershirt, the WnS Heated shirt and my Badlands in that order. The gloves are akin to silk , soft and thin, but very stretchy, fitting under my existing and favourite gloves with ease, again my hands have never been so warm and comfortable not just on the grip side but on top of the hand as well.

Pants and socks next......quite possibly. We have a lot of cold but beautifully sunny days here in the winter months, the full set would making riding a no brainer no matter the temps :D

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
How do the sizes compare? I use a Large t-shirt to form fit me and an XL to hang loose on me.
Bit of a tip here IMHO. I normally wear 3XL. I ordered 3XL in the WnS shirt and could well have gone down a size. The shirt is very stretchy and soft, best worn close to the skin for heat transference.

The gloves liners, on the other hand, (pardon the pun) were perfect. I always need the biggest gloves a manufacturer makes and ordered the 2XL (WnS's biggest) They fit (like a glove) :ROFLMAO: being of very thin, stretchy and soft material.

I'm now a convert to heated gear.......

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Since acquiring my Warm N Safe jacket liner a few years ago I've used it for some long rides. We did an 11 day trip to Alaska in April a couple of years ago where most days up north were spent riding in temps +/- 10 from freezing. I just use the jacket liner and gloves and nothing on my legs or in my boots and I was very comfortable for the entire ride. In fact sometimes I'd turn off my jacket for several minutes to get a chill and then turn it back on - goosebumps :). It's like sliding into a spa tub at the ski slopes when it envelops me in all that insulating warmness :)

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Thanks for the Warm N Safe link all! I ride year round up to about -15C or so including in the snow. I have a Ural with winter tires in case you are wondering. Up to now I have gone with a variety of gear and do live my Power in Motion gear ( Power In Motion Calgary, Canada - MotionHeat Heated Gloves, Electric Bikes, Fat Bikes, Folding Bikes ) but was looking for other options. Just so my fellow Canucks know they are a Canadian company so none of those international shipping headaches. I also swear by Icebreaker gear and have tons of it. Expensive but you get what you pay for. The Ural has power to the bars so anything that plugs in is a bonus as batteries can be bulky and skeleton systems a bit of a pain.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts