BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across or used these HEED Crash bars?

"Stylish design, not only protects but also looks good on the motorcycle.
Offered set includes piping for both sides of the motorcycle (left and right), installation kit (bolts, washers, nuts, brackets etc.) and installation instruction with pictures.

Professional performance:
Material: steel
Bending: CNC
Cutting: laser
Welds: TIG
Painting: powder coated
No interference with the structure of the motorcycle
Kit includes all necessary parts for installation"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
They are somewhat similar to the Wunderlich. I can tell you now that in my case (6 foot, 30 inch inseam) they make using highway pegs pretty uncomfortable.
So much so that I bought stock BMW ones to replace them with.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
I'm with Charlie, I have Wunderlich bars and put highway pegs on them last year. Absolutely worthless! VERY uncomfortable. Now I know what a woman goes through during an OBGYN visit... I took them off after one trip.

Duane

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have them on my 2016 Gt. I ordered them straight from their website or you can get them on ebay. Came in less then 2 weeks from Poland. Fit and finish were good and packed well. Only problem were the directions were not the best so I had to figure out which bolts to use to mount them. Great price and quality over all. from what I understand they are very popular with dirt bike and cross bikes.

·
Upside Down
1,181 Posts
I know a few guys used them on the RT`s and loved the quality of them. As mentioned above they do look similar to the Wunderich bars. I ordered a set of front and rear Wunderlich bars before Christmas and they just arrived at the dealership this week . I love the looks of the Heed bars but got mine at a good price so was worth waiting the 2 mths for them to be stocked here in Australia.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I ordered a set of front and rear Wunderlich bars before Christmas and they just arrived at the dealership this week . I love the looks of the Heed bars but got mine at a good price so was worth waiting the 2 mths for them to be stocked here in Australia.
I have a set of the Wunderlich bars (front and rear) on order myself. I did get a good deal on Wunderlich the topcase rack, so I installed that this past weekend. It's a bit uncomfortable drilling into the top case, but other than that, it looks awesome on the bike, and will provide me just enough extra space on my month long trip later in the year to be extremely useful.

I do have to wonder how the Heed stack up to Wunderlich bars. Looking at the Heed site, they are cheap. Super cheap. But then this video kind of explains it:

They designed them as one-time use. I can tell you from my recent GS Adventure days that falling is normal on those big bikes off-road. But I had a less than 5 MPH accident in town, by the university (idiot kid)... my crash bars got just a bit more character from the tarmac, but they didn't crumple like the video. I suppose Heed is doing their job, and with the cost difference between Heed and Wonderlich you could buy yourself a few pair of Heed bars, but I'm not so sure I would want to do that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just received the smaller, basic version in gray. The trip from Poland took a while but it was worth the wait. Nicely designed and built. Good job on the powder coating. Someone in shipping sure likes to use the poly wrap, every part was triple wrapped plus the bars had foam pipe insulation for further protection. Then the whole box was also wrapped multiple times. Made the trip is good condition though!
The instructions of course were translated from Polish so were a bit confusing but I figured it out. Only got one side done this afternoon because it took a few hours. The other side should go much quicker. I am happy with the purchase. pic attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.has anyone fitted these to a 2017 bike.they say upto 2016 for the k1600 I'm struggling to see where the difference is in the engine mounting points.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was wondering about hidden costs shipping from Poland? It there a import tax? I questioned the seller and they suggested that I contact customs. Ummm, I don't have time to deal with that, but I see others in the U.S. have purchased. Can you enlighten me?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree the bars are good quality and look great on my 2012 GTL. They installed easily, but the instructions were in Polglish and were a bit hard to understand. The bars were packed well and needed to be because the box was really beaten up during shipping. The one suggestion I have for them is to supply Torx bolts with the kit rather than the Allen bolts.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I was wondering about hidden costs shipping from Poland? It there a import tax? I questioned the seller and they suggested that I contact customs. Ummm, I don't have time to deal with that, but I see others in the U.S. have purchased. Can you enlighten me?
No hidden costs. I bought them direct from Poland and saved a couple of bucks on the Ebay price. Was free shipping at the time, don't know about now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=k1600+heed+bars&_sacat=0

HEED | Crash bars | BMW K 1600 GT/GTL - Bunker

·
Premium Member
560 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I use AliE to buy different

How long did it take you? 1 tool job? Thanks
Just putting the bike up on the CS and crawling around on the ground I think it was a couple hours. But I'm old and not in a rush to do anything so your time may vary. LOL The main thing this is it wasn't very hard to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts