BMW K1600 Forum banner

Hello All

749 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dobervol 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I just rode a 2018 BMW GTL for the first time as a test ride. I have to tell you I am in love. Was debating with getting the Honda Goldwing but it looks like I am leaning to the beemer. Still debating of what to get, either the GTL or Grand America. Looking for loads of knowledge from you gents if/when I pull the trigger. If anyone has any advice for me please let me know.

#2 ·
Hey Longdraw - I thought about this same thing before I got the GT (both the Goldwing and the GA). My thoughts:
1) I liked the more "adventure bike feel" of the GTL I have a thing for purposely getting off pavement.
2) My passenger-wife is 8" shorter than I. so the elevated seating position of the GTL worked out well
3) You can remove the top box on the GTL much easier than the GA, so if you want the "GT" feel (or dare I say the Euro-bagger look) you can have that too.
4) The cost was a bit more new, but if you buy slightly used, obviously since the GA only came out as a 2018 you can find as good or better deals on GTL's.
5) The Goldwing was nice, but to me it felt heavier than the GTL, especially at speed. Some may say that is a good thing for long distance, but to me I preferred the sportier feel of the BMW.

6) After 2 months of ownership and 2000 miles, I don't have any regrets

There are other threads here that go into the same details, Good luck on your decision!

#6 ·
Thank you sir. I will be test riding the Grand America this week so I will report back To let ya'll know how it went. I did test ride the Goldwing last week. I didn't like it in which I was surprised. I thought for sure I would love it but that's not the case.

Time and again, if you read the opinions from the experts, you'll see the same pros and cons. Appearance is purely subjective, but to most eyes, the new GL1800 looks scads better than the old, but to get it to look less fat, and drop weight, too, they had to reduce luggage capacity to the point some Wingers are mad, and the GTL has more luggage capacity. Still, the GL looks prettier to many people, and is the newer exterior design, but the side and top cases are fixed and not removeable.

The Wing has a lower center of gravity, and so will appeal to less skilled and/or experienced riders (to be clear, many GL riders may BE more skilled and/or experienced than GTL riders, but the bike itself is more forgiving with the lower CG). The GL is also more stable on the superslab behind a big rig in dirty air with strong crosswinds due to bad weather, while the GTL is more nimble in the twisties, has more ground clearance and available lean angle, and tips in to corners quicker. The new GL, however, handles more quickly than the old, and if you don't try to ride like Rossi in the corners, though slower, will corner like it's on rails (good or bad, depending on who you are as a customer).

The GTL will likely lose a 0-30 race to the GL due to the torque of the Wing, but the GTL's engine will eat its lunch, otherwise.

The Wing gets most people's nods for having apple Car Play, and a bigger screen (I like the screen divided into several components [Nav, warnings and indicators, and radio/settings], but I'm a rarity in that regard). It's more tech-modern, simply put.

The Wing gets slightly better mileage, but the GTL has more range, with a bigger gas tank. While everyone notes this, I've never seen anyone who has ever bought either bike who has indicated that was a significant factor in their decision, however.

They are both excellent bikes, and are both largely capable of the same type of touring, it's just that one is a tad more sporting, while the other is a tad more stable.

Honda's serice is NOT that much cheaper than BMW's, but as you probably already know, the Wing will probably be a tad more reliable.

If these were my two options, and I had no significant other weighing in (if you want to ride with a pillion, and don't consider her opinion, you're in trouble), I'd lean Wing if I didn't mind a more leisurely ride in the twisties and planned on a good bit of interstate travel. If I planned on passing the occasional kid on a sportbike who didn't really know how to ride, I'd get the GTL. The other main consideration would be if either engine "spoke to me." Ultimately, I fell in love with the power plant, and that's how I came to own my GT.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and let us know once you decided, even if it's the Wing, and what was/were the ultimate factors of greatest importance to you.
All great points sir! I have been doing my homework on this. I did finally get to test ride the Goldwing last week. Shockingly enough I thought I would like it, but alas I did not. It was the DCT version and it felt clunky and not as smooth as the BMW. Fuel capacity is one of my concerns and will factor in to what I will buy. I will test ride the Grand America this week with weather permitting. I am not so much worried about removing the cases but it is definitely something to consider & more space is nice. I thought I wouldn't like the sporty feel of the BMW but I was mistaken. I will see how the Grand America rides and see about those floorboards on the GA. Wife is a really big factor in all this as she will be riding anytime I take the bike out for a spin. My concern was about maintenance but after what you said & what I have read it really isn't that much difference. Reliability does worry me a little bit but I want a bike that I enjoy so it's really not a big factor ass I have had friends with BMW's and they have not had any problems. Usually, Lol. Also to mention I love the upgraded wheels for the GA & GTL. Thanks for your input. I will report back after I ride the Grand America.

#3 · (Edited)
Time and again, if you read the opinions from the experts, you'll see the same pros and cons. Appearance is purely subjective, but to most eyes, the new GL1800 looks scads better than the old, but to get it to look less fat, and drop weight, too, they had to reduce luggage capacity to the point some Wingers are mad, and the GTL has more luggage capacity. Still, the GL looks prettier to many people, and is the newer exterior design, but the side and top cases are fixed and not removeable.

The Wing has a lower center of gravity, and so will appeal to less skilled and/or experienced riders (to be clear, many GL riders may BE more skilled and/or experienced than GTL riders, but the bike itself is more forgiving with the lower CG). The GL is also more stable on the superslab behind a big rig in dirty air with strong crosswinds due to bad weather, while the GTL is more nimble in the twisties, has more ground clearance and available lean angle, and tips in to corners quicker. The new GL, however, handles more quickly than the old, and if you don't try to ride like Rossi in the corners, though slower, will corner like it's on rails (good or bad, depending on who you are as a customer).

The GTL will likely lose a 0-30 race to the GL due to the torque of the Wing, but the GTL's engine will eat its lunch, otherwise.

The Wing gets most people's nods for having apple Car Play, and a bigger screen (I like the screen divided into several components [Nav, warnings and indicators, and radio/settings], but I'm a rarity in that regard). It's more tech-modern, simply put.

The Wing gets slightly better mileage, but the GTL has more range, with a bigger gas tank. While everyone notes this, I've never seen anyone who has ever bought either bike who has indicated that was a significant factor in their decision, however.

They are both excellent bikes, and are both largely capable of the same type of touring, it's just that one is a tad more sporting, while the other is a tad more stable.

Honda's serice is NOT that much cheaper than BMW's, but as you probably already know, the Wing will probably be a tad more reliable.

If these were my two options, and I had no significant other weighing in (if you want to ride with a pillion, and don't consider her opinion, you're in trouble), I'd lean Wing if I didn't mind a more leisurely ride in the twisties and planned on a good bit of interstate travel. If I planned on passing the occasional kid on a sportbike who didn't really know how to ride, I'd get the GTL. The other main consideration would be if either engine "spoke to me." Ultimately, I fell in love with the power plant, and that's how I came to own my GT.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and let us know once you decided, even if it's the Wing, and what was/were the ultimate factors of greatest importance to you.

Reactions: Longdraw
#8 ·
I did test the GL DCT model & wasn't impressed which surprised me as I really like Honda but it was clunky. I am a sport touring guy so maybe that's part of my issue. The GTL was much smoother than the Goldwing for sure. Definitely considering the wife on this purchase. I will be trying out a Grand America this weekend & the main concern is the wife needs to be comfy. She is gonna tag along this weekend so we might be able to ride both GA & GTL. I am sold on the GTL so we will see. Though the floorboards look comfy on the GA. Fuel capacity is also an issue I have. I always want a larger gas tank. I figure the GA would be a little more comfy on long touring trips VS the GTL? Thanks for your input. Very beneficial information for sure. Thanks.

#4 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What dobervol said !!

The only thing I can add is if the decision comes down to a GTL vs. GA, ask yourself what you really want the bike for. The GTL is a better choice for serious 2-up touring, and will ride marginally better at speed and in spirited twisties. If your priorities are overall looks/style with shorter trips and slightly less demanding riding, the GA might be a better choice.

Good luck with your final decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.