BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

new to the forum and excited to learn more about this magical machine. I've ridden for 20+ years now - mostly sport bikes and most recently a Ducati Diavel and now at 50, I'm ready to shift to comfort and features but not at the sacrifice of speed and handling.

After much research, I've narrowed it down to a '18-'20 K16B - used or new and with as many of the packages as possible.

I finally got a chance to test ride a brand new one today and WOW! can't get over how flick-able this 800Lbs beast is. I'm sold but I've got a few issues that I need some advice on and hoping you can help.

I'll stat by saying that I am not interested in a GT, GTL etc. I am attracted to the shape of the Bagger and I'd like to figure out to make this work.

My issues:
-at 6'2, 220 Lbs. with an inseam of 36", I found the cockpit a bit cramped. The highway boards felt great but even those are close in to the seat that I would like/expected. How on earth something this large would still make me feel squished is beyond me. Anyone else have this issue and how have you solved it?

-Also - my left ankle butted up against the engine compartment and to ride comfortably, I would need to have longer left foot peg and perhaps and extension to the gear shift lever.

-Drive by ear is almost non-existent as the bike was SO very quite so an aftermarket exhaust will be a must.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Texas Thorn
2,322 Posts
Not really all that familiar with the B and GA models, but can you remove the floor boards and put highway pegs on the engine guards...thinking similar to Illium Works? Good luck in you search and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Hi all -

new to the forum and excited to learn more about this magical machine. I've ridden for 20+ years now - mostly sport bikes and most recently a Ducati Diavel and now at 50, I'm ready to shift to comfort and features but not at the sacrifice of speed and handling.

After much research, I've narrowed it down to a '18-'20 K16B - used or new and with as many of the packages as possible.

I finally got a chance to test ride a brand new one today and WOW! can't get over how flick-able this 800Lbs beast is. I'm sold but I've got a few issues that I need some advice on and hoping you can help.

I'll stat by saying that I am not interested in a GT, GTL etc. I am attracted to the shape of the Bagger and I'd like to figure out to make this work.

My issues:
-at 6'2, 220 Lbs. with an inseam of 36", I found the cockpit a bit cramped. The highway boards felt great but even those are close in to the seat that I would like/expected. How on earth something this large would still make me feel squished is beyond me. Anyone else have this issue and how have you solved it?

-Also - my left ankle butted up against the engine compartment and to ride comfortably, I would need to have longer left foot peg and perhaps and extension to the gear shift lever.

-Drive by ear is almost non-existent as the bike was SO very quite so an aftermarket exhaust will be a must.

Deemo,
For my comfort on my GTL I lowered the foot pegs, got a shift extension, and got a taller RDL custom seat. I think there are handlebar raising kits available for other models. From following this forum a few years, it seems most owners end up doing something to make the bike fit them, the solution varies based on the bike model and the person. Do some searches on this forum and you will get flooded with information. Regarding “with as many options as possible”, note that most, if not all, new K1600’s sold in the US the last few years seem to come equipped from factory with all the available options. So any used bike you look at probably has everything on it. Finally, I don’t know where you are in Seattle, but I can recommend the Tacoma dealership where I bought my new GTL in 2018, and say they will negotiate on price ($2K). Good luck. Ken

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently bought a new Imperial Blue 2019 Bagger here in Iowa, and the comfort modifications I made were OEM K1600GT Windshield (slightly taller and wider - still looking over it) Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit (moves footpegs down 1.45" and forward 0.38") and Grip Puppies. I also bought a Tanner luggage rack and backrest which is more in the utility category than comfort. I've only ridden it about 300 miles but so far so good. I am coming off of a 2016 R1200GSA and find the bagger to be smoother, faster and more comfortable. It's very light handling once underway. You can definitely haul more stuff with the GSA and it's top loading panniers though. I've been riding in Dynamic mode, with suspension set to Road. Reverse Assist, and the Hill Hold.are great rider aids that you didn't realize you needed until you have tried them. I had a 2012 K1600GTL prior to the GSA, and several other BMWs in succession before that. The last Harley I owned (or even rode) was my 1975 Superglide. No useful comparison there, that's for sure.

Regarding Seattle BMW Motorcycle dealerships - I lived in Seattle area for 30+ years prior to returning home to Iowa. The old North Seattle BMW dealership Ride West BMW/BMW Motorcycles of Seattle closed last year but is now reopening under new ownership with many of the familiar old employees. Their new showroom is further north on Lake City Way near Seattle Mini. (11532 Lake City Way NE). South Sound BMW Motorcycles is a fine dealership but the resurrected Seattle dealership will be another option depending on where you live. I could never warm up to the Lynnwood super mega motoplex store.

Reactions: Deemo

·
Registered
925 Posts

Welcome aboard, from Bainbridge Island - another part of the paradise that is the Pacific North Wet.

A Ducati Diavel was on my short list when looking around in 2015. I ended up getting a BMW R1200R LC and traded it in on a 2018 K1600 GTL after a couple of years. I liked the B/GA just fine, but the GTL works better for me. I'm 6'3" and I like being able to remove the cases. My wife liked the GTL better too, so decision made.

Regarding the quiet exhaust: I was in the Hurricane Ridge parking lot getting ready to leave when a couple guys pulled up on HD's. I waited until they had shut down and then started up the K16. One of them remarked (in a good natured way) that the K16 was too quiet. I just smiled and told him that it didn't start making much noise until it got past 7,000 RPM.

BTW, South Sound BMW has always treated me well.

Cheers,

Charlie

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you go the custom seat route, check out Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston. I haven't pulled the trigger, but I went by his shop to see what it looked like. Pretty impressive product and operation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you go the custom seat route, check out Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston. I haven't pulled the trigger, but I went by his shop to see what it looked like. Pretty impressive product and operation.
For sure - he has made me two seats so far. The process is expensive and time consuming but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ah, I see you are not new to Seattle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts