BMW K1600 Forum banner

Help with Oil Consumption

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Matty_D 
#1 ·
I've got a 2020 K1600B. It had it's first service at 600 miles. Fast forward to 1800 miles and the 'check oil' warning came on. I carried out the level check as per the manual (running,fans, 1 minute etc) and the bike needed 1 litre of oil. I've now just returned from a 2000 mile trip and the level is on 'minimum' and therefore the bike needs a further 0.5 litre.
Do any of you tech guys think this is excessive oil consumption?

#2 ·
Welcome.

Regardless of whether others here consider it excessive ( I do), get it to the dealership and let them know that you believe its excessive and it needs to be addressed - make sure that you keep a written record of your communications with the dealership.

#4 · (Edited)
My 2018 GTL was burning about 0.5 liter every 800-1,000 miles (if I remember correctly). It was a process, but I ended up getting an engine replacement under warranty.

You will get all kinds of answers on what BMW considers excessive. I think they intentionally keep things vague for their own flexibility (i.e. deniability) in dealing with individual cases. Still, my Service Manager researched internal BMW documentation and found references to 0.5 liter every 6,000 miles being the ‘acceptable’ guideline.

The dealer has a BMW process for measuring the actual consumption in your bike. They (or you) will do a controlled ride of several hundred miles where they weigh the oil before and after, and convert that to a consumption number. I’d request they do that. It’s the first step required for action anyway.

#9 ·
I've done a further 2,000 miles and it's only 1/4 litre, which I figure is OK. I'll keep an eye on it. I never checked the level after it had been serviced, perhaps the dealer didn't fill it correctly?? Anyway I called dealer and they said if I'm concerned at all to bring it in and they will fill it, then I need to cover 600 miles and they'll measure the usage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.