BMW K1600 Forum banner

861 - 880 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I'm stupid. I forgot that I had disconnected the DRLs to be able to get into the opening better. Once I plugged that back in, voila!! Everything, including the Hi Beams, work again with no errors!! Thanks for the nudge. I feel embarrassed!! ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well, I'm stupid. I forgot that I had disconnected the DRLs to be able to get into the opening better. Once I plugged that back in, voila!! Everything, including the Hi Beams, work again with no errors!! Thanks for the nudge. I feel embarrassed!! ;-)
Thank YOU for being brave enough to come back here and admit your foible. 🤓

So on to the important stuff. Now that everything is working, which Hakari lights did you get and what do you think of their performance?

Are the emitters well placed so that the beam focuses properly off the reflectors and actually shoot the light down the road or does it get difused into more of a flood light pattern?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought these exact ones:

To answer your other question, I haven't yet taken it out at night as I just had minor eye surgery so I am waiting to have that heal up. Should be ready for a quick night ride in a week...sorry.

I love how they are the right color (6000K) and are on and off immediately unlike the HID bulbs I had before. When I flashed, they didn't heat up in time so there was no perceptible flash unlike these which are immediately on and super bright.

I'll try to remember to give an update on the pattern when I get it out at night...

Chip

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Are the emitters well placed so that the beam focuses properly off the reflectors and actually shoot the light down the road or does it get difused into more of a flood light pattern?
The info on Amazon claims an adjustable beam pattern, so you should be able to tune things somewhat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, they spin so you can adjust. I think you are supposed to have them pointed side by side, that's the way I installed them. Pouring here so still no time to test.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I tried a set of adjustables. None of the adjustment positions provided a decent beam pattern.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried a set of adjustables. None of the adjustment positions provided a decent beam pattern.
I am concerned that may be the case here - I hope I am wrong - but, as I hardly ride at night, at least I will have these bright beams for flash and hi-viz daylight riding...I just hope they work well at night as well. They will definitely be better than my HID bulbs that I installed - one went out and it threw an error code every time I put them on hi-beam. So, there's that...

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Test them already so I can order them if they work......................

Ian

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newbie to the forum as I just bought the K1600 and my first planned mode is the LED lights. I did this on my S1000RR and without doubt it was one of the cheapest mod's I done, but it was my favorite. It sounds like the Hakari 2020 model is one of the ways to go. I placed an order on Amazon tonight as it was the last one available. Hopefully this is not that difficult a mod and I can access the lights easily.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Go to page 30 and read post #298. Make sure you tell the seller that you want H7 bulbs seeing as how he sells all kinds of configurations on that Ebay site.

Print out the install instructions and have them handy when you go to put the new bulbs in your bike, it helps a lot.
Pg 30 Post #298 is no longer working.

Could someone please confirm the latest recommended LED to buy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am concerned that may be the case here - I hope I am wrong - but, as I hardly ride at night, at least I will have these bright beams for flash and hi-viz daylight riding...I just hope they work well at night as well. They will definitely be better than my HID bulbs that I installed - one went out and it threw an error code every time I put them on hi-beam. So, there's that...

Wish me luck!
Good Luck !

How did the test go?

I'm keen on buying some LED's.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought these exact ones:

To answer your other question, I haven't yet taken it out at night as I just had minor eye surgery so I am waiting to have that heal up. Should be ready for a quick night ride in a week...sorry.

I love how they are the right color (6000K) and are on and off immediately unlike the HID bulbs I had before. When I flashed, they didn't heat up in time so there was no perceptible flash unlike these which are immediately on and super bright.

I'll try to remember to give an update on the pattern when I get it out at night...

Chip
Those are on special for 16hrs at $56 ($14 saving).

I've ordered a pair and will report back once installed and had a chance to check their performance.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I need help !!!

Received the Hikari 2020's today, and not sure if I need an adapter for them.

I don't want to pull it apart and find I need adapters and put it all back together to be able to use it for the ride to work tomorrow.

Could someone confirm whether an adapter is needed and which adapter?

Edit:

Job complete.

Adapters are not needed.

I turned the flange 180 deg so that the cable faced down as there's more room on the underside.

What is needed are very dainty fingers, not pork sausage style like mine.

Be careful how you lay the wires out in the cavity so that it doesn't rotate the LED when installing the dust cover - check alignment after putting the dust cover back and before any Tupperware goes back.

It is really difficult hooking in the wire retaining clips because of the LED's bulk vs the small Halogens - I used a medium size flat screwdriver for these clips.

They are clearly very bright compared to the originals, and will comment on beam throw and pattern once I've had a ride in the dark.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This morning I rode to work while it was still dark - these LED's are way brighter than the halogens.

They're not as narrow as the halogens and have very bright areas close to the front of the bike which might suggest adjustment is needed, but it cast so much light in the distance that I don't see the need to adjust the alignment.

Overall very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Any of all y'all tried these yet? Supposedly designed with filament placement in mind:

·
Registered
6,169 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
My question about these bulbs is the claimed lumen output. It's somewhat unlikely that a 25 watt LED will produce 4000 lumens. I say that in consideration of the historical industry norm of 100 lumens/watt. Of course, some LED's are currently exceeding that which may be the case here but again, somewhat doubtful it's as high as 160 lumens/watt. So, if the source is exaggerating that, you have to wonder what else they are embellishing. As I've always said, this is a very tricky business and it's unfortunately very common for vendors to exaggerate and even worse, lie about their product. Also, in verifying a vendor's claims, I've always tried to use available data to cross-check for accuracy. For example, for the bulbs being suggested here, I would want to know the manufacturer of the LED chips and to know what chip or chips were used. With that info, I can go directly to the chip manufacturer to get real and dependable specifications. That's usually the best way to get important information on the essentials like watts, lumens, and color temp. On this particular ad, there is very little real information to make a quality judgement.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My question about these bulbs is the claimed lumen output. It's somewhat unlikely that a 25 watt LED will produce 4000 lumens. I say that in consideration of the historical industry norm of 100 lumens/watt. Of course, some LED's are currently exceeding that which may be the case here but again, somewhat doubtful it's as high as 160 lumens/watt. So, if the source is exaggerating that, you have to wonder what else they are embellishing. As I've always said, this is a very tricky business and it's unfortunately very common for vendors to exaggerate and even worse, lie about their product. Also, in verifying a vendor's claims, I've always tried to use available data to cross-check for accuracy. For example, for the bulbs being suggested here, I would want to know the manufacturer of the LED chips and to know what chip or chips were used. With that info, I can go directly to the chip manufacturer to get real and dependable specifications. That's usually the best way to get important information on the essentials like watts, lumens, and color temp. On this particular ad, there is very little real information to make a quality judgement.
This. With so many different ways to measure output, there’s really no way to tell what any of these bulbs are really putting out, and that’s not even mentioning that some of these fly-by-night companies are down right being deceitful. Personally, I suspect that pretty much all of these retrofit LED’s are a straight fail as far as actually being an improvement. They may be brighter than a halogen, but brightness isn’t everything, and with a completely different light source from the one the housing is designed for, I doubt you’re actually getting a better (or even a decent) beam pattern, and you’re almost certainly not getting better vision

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just installed Hikari H7's - took it in the shorts on the price ($65+) on Amazon because I missed a sale and didn't want to wait.
A few observations:
* I used a pick with a v-forked tip to manipulate the spring retainers out of their clips. It was still a PITA but way less painful than using my fingers. One of the hook-in points on the light bezel was bent a bit preventing me from getting the spring retainer off. Once I straightened that it came right off. You will HAVE to have some small tool such as a pick to put these retainers back on once the LEDs are installed due to the large size of the fan/heat sink on the back of the bulbs.
  • The Hikaris are indeed adjustable, but the best pattern (horizontal bow tie pattern) is achieved with the bulbs oriented straight up and down. Once installed you CAN adjust them.
  • If you don't know how to get at the bulbs, and don't want to go dig out your manual, the instructions are here:
BMW K1600 Bulb Replacement
This is not a difficult job. Follow the instructions and it should take about an hour.
Before and after pics:

861 - 880 of 893 Posts