BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
901 - 920 of 966 Posts

· Premium Member
Now living in Virginia! 😎
279 Posts
I went with the 2020 Hikari H7’s from Amazon (the ones @Geerhed mentioned).... should be here this week and install next weekend. The latest version looks to have slimmed the stalk down that the LEDs are mounted on, so hopefully should have a near 360 light pattern.
Looking forward to having a reason to tinker with the bike if nothing else. 🤓

· Registered
2013 GTL
2,394 Posts
I've ordered a pair and will report back once installed and had a chance to check their performance.
This morning I rode to work while it was still dark - these LED's are way brighter than the halogens.

They're not as narrow as the halogens and have very bright areas close to the front of the bike which might suggest adjustment is needed, but it cast so much light in the distance that I don't see the need to adjust the alignment.

Overall very happy with them.
I went with the 2020 Hikari H7’s from Amazon (the ones @Geerhed mentioned).... should be here this week and install next weekend. The latest version looks to have slimmed the stalk down that the LEDs are mounted on, so hopefully should have a near 360 light pattern.
Looking forward to having a reason to tinker with the bike if nothing else. 🤓
They don't have a near 360 deg light pattern, but the abundance of light makes that a non-issue.

· Registered
142 Posts
Bought the S&D LED 360' Headlight. Showed up quick. Unbuttoned the stuff behind the headlamp removed the H7 and 5 minutes Later I'm putting on three band aids. The edges on the cooling fins are razor sharp. So you either have to file the all edges down or wrap fins in electrical tape (to be removed after install). There is not enough room. I couldn't get the wire stays back in place before i realized I was bleeding profusely. I will try again after the fingers heal and I've wrapped the fins in electrical tape.

Also these are polarity sensitive so make sure you test the connection before you button up.

· Premium Member
Now living in Virginia! 😎
279 Posts
Installed the the 2020 Hikari H7’s today, it was really simple and it looks so much better without the orange high beams. Lots more light output as well, they are really bright.

The trick, as I think someone mentioned before, is to slide the LEDs out of the mounting collar. Then the spring clip retainers are really easy to close back up, then you just push the LED's into the collar which is already mounted in the reflector, and rotate by twisting the fan shroud to make the LEDs sit at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Don't be like me and forget to check the final position of the LED until after you put everything back together.... or you get to do some of the project again. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks as always for the great information from forum members!!!!

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Multiple LED bulb review from a year ago. Not specific to the K1600 or motorcycles in general, but there is a nice comparison between several bulbs here:

And here's an updated review for more bulbs:

· Premium Member
647 Posts
At nearly $200, these are very expensive, but appear to be of very high quality with the output and beam pattern. My concern would be whether the driver will fit through the housing opening so that they could be installed.

Interestingly, they list the K1600 on their website if you search for bulbs by vehicle. Whether that is a confirmed fitment or is simply done based on bulb style is anyone's guess. I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever. I'm not even at customer at this point.

· Premium Member
805 Posts
At nearly $200, these are very expensive, but appear to be of very high quality with the output and beam pattern. My concern would be whether the driver will fit through the housing opening so that they could be installed.

Interestingly, they list the K1600 on their website if you search for bulbs by vehicle. Whether that is a confirmed fitment or is simply done based on bulb style is anyone's guess. I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever. I'm not even at customer at this point.

That's a very interesting bulb. Looks to be very well built using all metal and no plastic. Of all the led's I've seen this certainly has the best beam pattern and seems to have more than enough light. As always you get what you pay for.

· Registered
470 Posts
The H7 most certainly looks good, but I don't see it being $140 better than the $56 Hikari that I have installed.
This guy:
would probably agree with you, although neither would seem to out perform a good halogen. He did some pretty good, practical (also: not trying to sell anything) testing in an extremely long and informative thread

· Premium Member
647 Posts
I got one of the Hikari bulbs installed tonight. Removing the top fuel tank trim piece gave a little more access to the area, making installation easier. The Hikari bulbs, like many others, have a removable mounting collar. Installing just this part makes reinstalling the retaining clip very easy. One word of caution- be very careful not to drop the collar inside the headlamp housing while installing/removing it. I would imagine you would then be forced to remove the entire headlamp housing assembly to get it out. I was careful and did not drop it, but I can see that happening easily.

Once the collar is installed, it's easy to push the bulb in place, especially with that fuel tank trim piece out of the way. You can turn the bulb left/right to get it aligned for the proper pattern. It doesn't take a lot of effort to turn it, so hopefully it will not turn on its own from the vibration and shock of riding.

The white light of the LED looks so much better than the yellow halogens. I'm looking forward to a night ride to see how well they work. With the stock halogen bulbs, I was barely able to tell a difference when they were on vs off at night.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
47 Posts
Hi all,
Just upgraded my 2014 K1600GT to a new 2020 K1600GT. On the 2014, I upgraded the H7s to PIAAs White Extreme. I am now considering the H7 LED as I love the ones on my Jeep.
Read all the comments on Hikary H7 for the High Beams. However, it looks like they now have 4 different models. Most of you used the 2020, that I think is either the Top XHP or the Simple H7. Please let me know each one of the 4 models below you are using or you recommend:

Top XHP 50.2:
Amazon.com: HIKARI TOP XHP50.2 LED, H7 LED Bulbs Conversion Kit, 10000lm, High Lumens 6000K Cool White, IP68 Waterproof,Halogen Bulbs Replacement,Foglight: Automotive

Ultra:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSF45Z...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2021 ACME-X
Amazon.com: HIKARI 2021 Acme-X H7 LED Bulbs, Ultra Brightness, Wider Driving Vision, All-in-One 1:1 Design, Halogen bulb Replacement, 6K Cool White IP68 Foglight : Automotive

H7 9600lms:
Amazon.com: HIKARI H7 LED Bulbs, 9600lm, High Lumens LED Conversion Kit, Japanese CSP LED Tech, CANBUS Ready, Halogen Replacement Bulbs, 6000K Cool White, Foglight: Automotive

The ACME looks very appealing as it is all in one.

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
24 Posts
I didn’t go with Hikari. I bought the Hikari Ultras and the GTR Ultra series 2. There wasn’t even any comparison, the GTR’s cast a further light and tested nearly 600% brighter then stock. The Hikari ultra in my test was about 270% brighter. Either is better than stock by a long shot, but the gtr led lights were worth the extra cost

· Premium Member
598 Posts
I didn’t go with Hikari. I bought the Hikari Ultras and the GTR Ultra series 2. There wasn’t even any comparison, the GTR’s cast a further light and tested nearly 600% brighter then stock. The Hikari ultra in my test was about 270% brighter. Either is better than stock by a long shot, but the gtr led lights were worth the extra cost
With the GTR Ultras 2, did you have to do any mods or changes? Or is it a simple plug and play? Where did the ballast go, inside the light housing? Pictures?

I've always been a fan of GTR LED lights, look forward to your reply!!

· Registered
24 Posts
With the GTR Ultras 2, did you have to do any mods or changes? Or is it a simple plug and play? Where did the ballast go, inside the light housing? Pictures?

I've always been a fan of GTR LED lights, look forward to your reply!!
Hey Joe, I didn’t take any pictures of the install. This truly is a plug and play led setup. There is a collar that you rotate and remove prior to install, this is the collar that you secure with the retainer clip. Then you just insert the driver (ballast for led) into the housing, it is a snug fit, then you insert the bulb itself. They had a great installation video on headlight revolution’s website where I ordered the GTR’s. They also have a 15% off sale this weekend.

· Registered
2015 K1600 GTL
24 Posts
Can someone clarify something for me? Which halogen lights are people replacing with these leds? There are two halogen lights for the high beam and a single for the low beam. So, are people buying a pair of, for example, hikari leds and replacing the single low beam or are they buying the two leds and replacing the high beams? If you have replaced your high beam halogens, does the low beam designated led, throw out more light than the high beam halogen?

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Can someone clarify something for me? Which halogen lights are people replacing with these leds? There are two halogen lights for the high beam and a single for the low beam. So, are people buying a pair of, for example, hikari leds and replacing the single low beam or are they buying the two leds and replacing the high beams? If you have replaced your high beam halogens, does the low beam designated led, throw out more light than the high beam halogen?
This is all a discussion of replacing the high beams with LED's. I think you will find that 2 new LED high beams will greatly overpower the single low beam HID bulb (I think it's HID)

· Premium Member
3,010 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
12e+4
901 - 920 of 966 Posts