BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Awesome! Congrats and welcome. Hope you find both stimulating. Enjoy that new ride and good health to you and yours.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Scotland.....I have fond memories of visiting your wonderful country some years ago. Riding trains, ferries and buses. Pubs and great people. Standing stones on the Orkney islands. ‘Dreek’ weather; just like back home in the wet Pacific Northwest. Welcome aboard. The K1600 will be a lot of fun on your mountainous winding roads.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome peeps, KEG it's always Dreich here but as you say great roads.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Welcome from sunny Bedfordshire.

So you are a weedgie, a Glaswegian, or thereabouts - when you have a moment, we would be interested to learn about your biking history.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Squibb, been riding for about 30 years mainly jap bikes till around 5 years ago when I then bought a road king. Had 3 harleys since then and trade in my heritage 114 for the k1600. Went to look at a r1250rt and came away with a good deal on a 68 plate k16 .😎

·
Registered
557 Posts
I know where Scotland is................................
The RaTs invade it each year.........................
Supposed to be Oban this year, anyway, lets not dwell this was last year........................

David (Northern Ireland)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Weedgie, Greetings from the Top of Texas! Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I went looking for an R1200RT and came away with a K1600GT. Also, one of the greatest work experiences of my life was spent working with one of your fellow countrymen in open wheel racing. Great driver and an even better person.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Scot, and Harley rider for my sins lol used to hang around west coast a lot till they moved out to the new shop.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Also, one of the greatest work experiences of my life was spent working with one of your fellow countrymen in open wheel racing.
@Weedgie, welcome from Tennessee! I'm more of a bourbon and Irish whisky guy than Scotch, and I'm Irish, but hey, I love bagpipe music (not kidding; I have a lot of it).

And as for the quote above, being a huge open-wheel fan, every time I think of Scotland, I think of the "Flying Scot," Sir Jackie Stewart, I remember from the end of his F1 career as a little kid, and him being the voice of open-wheel racing on the TV here in the US.

·
Registered
305 Posts
@Weedgie And as for the quote above, being a huge open-wheel fan, every time I think of Scotland, I think of the "Flying Scot," Sir Jackie Stewart, I remember from the end of his F1 career as a little kid, and him being the voice of open-wheel racing on the TV here in the US.
I’m not quite old enough to have worked with Sir J. Stewart when he was still driving (he retired quite young) but I have worked a few events with him. I was referring to another Scotsman who has also since retired.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Welcome to the site. Loved Scotland last year, rode most of these roads recommended here. In the rain, of course! :) I enjoy the Scottish sense of humor. When my buddy and I asked about when the good weather was in Scotland. The first guy said; "well, there is that one day in June!" The second Scot said; "yeah, it's always a Wednesday!"

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
Hi Weedgie! A few buddies and I are planning to fly in to Inverness in early October and spend a week riding. We haven't yet planned a specific route but thinking about the North Coast route and out to Skye. I'd love to get your thoughts about roads/sights we should not miss. Welcome to the 1600 club!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Pitts , remember yir waterproofs you will need them also gets a wee bit cool.
As for road take yir pick, NC 500 big thumbs up, my favourite run is from InverGarry to Skye the A87 spend a day or two looking round you won't be disappointed then the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and the A830 to Fort William.
The only road in Scotland that is boring is the A9 Perth to Inverness in my book. Hope this is of some help.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The only road in Scotland that is boring is the A9 Perth to Inverness in my book. Hope this is of some help.
Those pesky average speed cameras don't help either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts