BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
If I wanted to wear Hi viz I've always liked Hi Viz Orange over the Yellow/Green (or whatever color you call it). The problem is I can't find the Hi Viz Orange option on any coat I've looked at in the last couple of years. Years ago I had a Moose riding jacket that was black/ hi viz orange. It was an attention grabbing color, appealed to my color tastes, didn't fade very much and had a clean look to it.

I have one of these.....nice jacket with lots of features. Available in Orange Atomic 5.0 Jacket ? Joe Rocket

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I think you're onto something there. Someone needs to make a fully-lighted suit.

I'd want a button in mine which would allow me to play Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" everytime off the bike when someone commented. :grin:

"...like a Ger-man cowboy in a Teu-ton-ic ro-de-o..."
A la The Electric Horseman (Robert Redford)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
All of these conversations go back to why don't more people pull out in front of motor officers? I have never seen one wearing high visibility clothing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm all for Hi Viz...Especially in the rain.....Rained everyday on my last Alaskan trip....So my tank bag and tailbag covers get Hi Vis too...It's cool being safe...

Photo is on The Cassiar Hyw near Dease Lake B.C where there is more wildlife than cars...But I don't think Grizzles Bears, and Elk care about Hi Viz...

Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm all for Hi Viz...Especially in the rain.....Rained everyday on my last Alaskan trip....So my tank bag and tailbag covers get Hi Vis too...It's cool being safe...

So rain gear is also a funny thing. I found a nice Olympia exterior rain coat and pants that sport the bright yellow. Once again, many black options out there :confused:

Everyone made good points...riding skills, bike light options and mixed on the Hi-Viz. But a black rain coat on a dark day with black wet pavement just ain't smart. Can't argue against neon on those days...or maybe some can :huh:

·
Registered
762 Posts
The only real down side I see to high vis clothing is that it shows road grime a lot more than black or dark grey. After about 7,000 miles since purchasing, mine is fading and showing some dirty spots. I ride almost entirely during they day and mostly on dry paved roads.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Once again, many black options out there :confused:

But a black rain coat on a dark day with black wet pavement just ain't smart. Can't argue against neon on those days...or maybe some can :huh:
My gripe is a lot of layered suit systems come with rain gear which fits over or under, but is really designed for under, and in any event is black. I’d like the rest of the gear, with a hi viz rain suit option.

But somewhere in the world are a lot of guys who like being a cool looking rebel wearing all black gear, black helmet, black bike, and even black rain gear, and are willing to take the extra risk just to look cool. Their life, though, and their choice.

Some of us are already used to not looking cool at all, so for us it’s no big sacrifice.:grin:

And one more thing: If it’s really pouring and everyone’s around you is so blinded they’re slowing down to varying degrees, remember to turn on your flashers, even if you pull over.

·
Registered
349 Posts
All of these conversations go back to why don't more people pull out in front of motor officers? I have never seen one wearing high visibility clothing.

I think you'd be surprised how many times Police vehicles get cut off. It seems that people freak out or lose their mind when around marked vehicles. I actually got cut off in a Police helicopter over the Throggs Neck Bridge once.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
I think you'd be surprised how many times Police vehicles get cut off. It seems that people freak out or lose their mind when around marked vehicles. I actually got cut off in a Police helicopter over the Throggs Neck Bridge once.
Police motor officers, those on motorcycles. All that I have spoken with tell me that it rarely happens.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Police motor officers, those on motorcycles. All that I have spoken with tell me that it rarely happens.
Did they say if it happens more or less frequently on their service bike than on their civilian bike(s)?

I'm not a LEO, so I can't make that comparison. White would've been my first choice when i was looking to buy a GTL, thinking it is the safest color (partly because some might think it's a police bike for a moment, but mostly because it is just more conspicuous than a dark bike) but I couldn't find one (late in the model year) with the options I wanted so I ended up with ebony metallic - love it, BTW.

I'd say that somebody pulls out in front of me a bit more often on the bike than in my car, but thankfully both are actually pretty rare. Still, one event can ruin your whole life so I try to expect it to happen all the time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
True that. I used to be a paramedic. People would do some pretty unexpected things in front of an ambulance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wear CG dayglo green mesh, liner installed in the cooler times of the year, leave the liner on the hanger in the summer times.
Know that it works , 'cause when I stop to refresh in a mini-mart or the likes that has stools of a bench to rest on, many times folk have walked up to me to ask about the "new" sport bike outside.
When I tell them that is a 2012 they are surprised. Then I show them a pic on my phone of my '12 GTL with the luggage on.
Leave the luggage off and try it sometime, you will get comments.
When I ask them how they knew I was the rider, the usual reply is I'm the only guy in the building that stood out in the crowd.

RR Gary

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
If, actually when we crash and get separated from the bike the brighter and more reflective you are especially in limited or no light conditions might just keep you from getting to run over which can be worse than the original crash.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If, actually when we crash and get separated from the bike the brighter and more reflective you are especially in limited or no light conditions might just keep you from getting to run over which can be worse than the original crash.
Good point. It was standard operating procedure to don a high vis reflective vest prior to getting out of the ambulance on any traffic scene, a system requirement actually. The other requirement I remember was the bullet proof vest for any potential domestic violence call.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
About 4:1.... They all have private bikes and people will pull out in front of them regularly. When riding on the "office" bike it rarely happens. I only know four personally but they say it's about the same for all of them.

Maybe instead of white and amber we should use red and blue..

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Anybody ever see a rider with high vis jacket and no helmet? Or, high vis and whatever the meets-minimum-legal-requirement type helmet or the German-WWII-military-shape bad boy image type, etc.?

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
I got that in my email as well. I instantly thought of this thread.

Honestly the results of their survey didn't surprise me, especially with the cruiser crowd who still likes black leather jackets and assless chaps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Viz = YES

After my crash last year, my grey Joe Rocket jacket and black pants got ruined. Needed something new.
Went with an Olympia Airglide 5 and Airglide 4 pants.

I can honestly say that the Hi-Viz prevented a few mishaps since I am wearing it.
I also noticed that people look more at me than before. (maybe I am getting nicer looking with age :grin:)
Agreed that it tends to get dirty faster (actually, dark gear get as dirty just as fast but we don't see it) but a quick turn in the washer and it becomes new again. Trick is to do it more often, so it doesn't stain.

was also told by fellow coworkers that I could be seen from really far away when they were following me.

One thing about the airglide 5 that I would change is the black in front. I would add even more high viz stuff there.

I tend to think that I am putting the chances on my side wearing high viz. I know I ain't coming back to something dark.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I don't really care what anyone else thinks about Hi-Viz effectiveness. If you are in industry, you don't get to choose: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-visibility_clothing

..and of course industry gets to pay when you get run over.

My personal experience is that people do notice me in my Hi-Viz yellow Aerostich suit and Helite Turtle Vest hi-viz air bag because they say:

"hello, we can really see you!", "are you a space ranger?"

...and the extra benefit of Hi-Viz is I have been shuffled to the front of the queue in MacDonalds when everyone thinks I am an EMS worker!

Luv y'all

41 - 60 of 97 Posts