BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a 2018 GTL and love the bike. I have about 2000km on it now, and have noticed a high speed shake since new. This starts around 135 to 140kmh. ( 86 mph ). Bike has all the bags on. Perhaps if I remove all three bags this would stop, I hope. If this is not the case then it will go back to the dealer.
My right wrist insists on it.

Safe Riding

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
is it unmodified (screen, airflow etc) which tyres, are they balance weighted. is the headstock nut the correct torque.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I had a similar problem when a tire wasn't balanced properly. I'd get a shake from 85 mph to 90 mph range.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am on a 2018 GTL and love the bike. I have about 2000km on it now, and have noticed a high speed shake since new. This starts around 135 to 140kmh. ( 86 mph ). Bike has all the bags on. Perhaps if I remove all three bags this would stop, I hope. If this is not the case then it will go back to the dealer.

Safe Riding
Bike is all stock and riding on Bridgestone Battalax tires. Thanks for the info on the wheel weights. I will look for missing weights and make sure the dealer corrects the problem.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Finally, solution found after three days in the shop. They removed the front wheel and rebalance in statically not electronically. Nice smooth high speed cruising like it was meant to be.
I as told a two gram weight imbalance at 100 mph has a 2 kilo effect (i'm sure the values are wrong, but the intent is fine)

·
Premium Member
4,059 Posts
Finally, solution found after three days in the shop. They removed the front wheel and rebalance in statically not electronically. Nice smooth high speed cruising like it was meant to be.
3 days? I could have fixed it in an hour. If your ever in San Diego and need tires send me a note.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2018 GA. It has only 900 Miles on it. I am going to take to dealer to check based on the inputs here.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I bought 2018 GA launched with all fanfare in JUNE. As soon as I cross 70 miles it is unstable. The published top speed is 101 MPH. The highest speed I tried tried was 90 MPH for few seconds and had to throttle back since motor cycle became very unstable and I thought I was going to loose control. Made two trips to dealer 125 miles away. Wheels re-balanced no improvement. Changed tires at my expense, no change. The bike has about 1000 miles out of that 600 was to and fro to the dealer.

Any one buying Grand America please test drive GA. don't test drive Bagger and buy Grand America. That is the mistake I did. May be that is why dealers don't have GA in demo stock.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
I bought 2018 GA launched with all fanfare in JUNE. As soon as I cross 70 miles it is unstable. The published top speed is 101 MPH. The highest speed I tried tried was 90 MPH for few seconds and had to throttle back since motor cycle became very unstable and I thought I was going to loose control. Made two trips to dealer 125 miles away. Wheels re-balanced no improvement. Changed tires at my expense, no change. The bike has about 1000 miles out of that 600 was to and fro to the dealer.

Any one buying Grand America please test drive GA. don't test drive Bagger and buy Grand America. That is the mistake I did. May be that is why dealers don't have GA in demo stock.
What is it that the bike is doing? You say unstable but what specifically?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts

Just bought a new BGA. just as unstable. BMW fix is a sticker in the topcase telling you not to drive the bike over 81 mph. 81 mph is the sweet spot on the bike and that is where the shake (actually a longitudinal swinging which as it increases in frequency can cause you to lose control and kill yourself) is most pronounced. There are numerous threads and complaints in this forum, including to the NHTSA (?). None of this will bring any answers, as BMW is not aware of any problems.
It's the aftermarket that needs to fix that. I'm hoping outfits like Traxion Dynamics will get wind of that and get into a fix for it as they did for Goldwings and numerous other brands shortcomings.
Only other alternative for the owners is to get rid of the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Just bought a new BGA. just as unstable. BMW fix is a sticker in the topcase telling you not to drive the bike over 81 mph. 81 mph is the sweet spot on the bike and that is where the shake (actually a longitudinal swinging which as it increases in frequency can cause you to lose control and kill yourself) is most pronounced. There are numerous threads and complaints in this forum, including to the NHTSA (?). None of this will bring any answers, as BMW is not aware of any problems.
It's the aftermarket that needs to fix that. I'm hoping outfits like Traxion Dynamics will get wind of that and get into a fix for it as they did for Goldwings and numerous other brands shortcomings.
Only other alternative for the owners is to get rid of the bike.
How's your lemon laws in California?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Safe Riding
I have the same problem - did you get yours sorted out? if ye, how?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have the same problem - did you get yours sorted out? if ye, how?

Thanks.
What are you on? Your profile picture looks like a GT. The thing should be smooth as silk well into triple digits. When I rode my first 1600 home, in 2012, it was so smooth that I thought I was doing the speed limit (70), looked down and realized I was at 110. Whether it's tires out of balance or another issue, get it checked out because something's not right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are you on? Your profile picture looks like a GT. The thing should be smooth as silk well into triple digits. When I rode my first 1600 home, in 2012, it was so smooth that I thought I was doing the speed limit (70), looked down and realized I was at 110. Whether it's tires out of balance or another issue, get it checked out because something's not right.
Hey Vandalog - I am on a 2012 GT and when I hit high 80's into the 90s (MPH) I started to get a very noticeable vibration on the handle bars. I've had it a dealer for inspection for this reason and the 1st thing they came up with was that the battery connection was not solid so the ESA was turned off. They fixed it. And the vibration improved but hasn't gone away. Now they say it's the front tires - apparently its "capped"?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Do you mean "cupped?" As has been stated in this thread, bad or imbalanced tires are the most likely culprit. A badly cupped front tire would almost certainly be noticeable at higher speeds.

Reactions: Reph
1 - 20 of 34 Posts