BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sort of thread has been posted, in the past, but now that the K1600 platform has a few years under its belt, I'm curious, what's the highest mileage K1600 out there that's still being ridden with its original motor and transmission? What's the true longevity of these bikes? @GIGFY has a current thread that prompted my question.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd like to know, and to answer @GIGFY question, what wear and tear repairs creep up on high mileage bikes.

Realizing that I am not even included in 100K mile club, but I was kind of surprised when I had to replace my front suspension ball joints at 82K miles ($1450.72).

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
To be exact I have 141725 miles on the odometer. I bought the bike with 7000 miles on it so they're not all my miles.

Russ (Vandaldog) and I had the dreaded cracked ring lands at the same time and the bikes were worked on at the same dealership. We even did a ride together during BMW's first stage of trying to determine what was wrong. My bike showed the symptoms around 32K miles and IIRC Russ's showed up right around 18K miles. Pistons and rings were replaced in mine around 34K and the engine has been trouble free since.

Ball joints around 50K miles and then somewhere around 102K miles.
Replaced the sprag clutch in the 80K-90K range. That's the part, when it goes bad, that causes the starter to spin without spinning the engine.
The ball joints and sprag clutch were covered under an extended warranty (Zurich). It was roughly $900 per repair (x3) so my $1500 extended warranty was a good thing to have. It ran out at the end of '18.
The switches were replaced during a recall a few years back but they were still working when they were replaced. I did have the wonder wheel crap out on me last year and had to replace that.
I installed Wilber shocks at 109K miles. Probably could have replaced the stock shocks earlier but, in my case, the original shocks did a great job even with all those miles on them.
That pretty much covers any repair/ replacement.

Original water pump. (It's nothing I've done to earn any credit but it is kind of fun to point that out ?)
Valves are still within spec with the last check around 129K.
I've always had to add 1/2 quart (liter) during the 6K mile oil duration. I'll get the CHECK! somewhere between 3500 and 4500 miles. I'm still in that usage range so that's what I use as a gauge as far as how the engine is holding up as the miles go on. When the tires haven't been beat up too bad with mileage, the bike is still silky smooth running down the road.

I know I may find the trade in value to be just a tad low for this fine piece of machinery so I'll just hang on to it for a while longer. Having a first year K1600 was really fun (especially at the BMW rallys) during it's inaugural years and it's coming around to being fun, for me anyway, to have one of the oldest (and best color ?) models still terrorizing the highways and byways.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I wonder how many miles @Meese has on his?
Not all that many miles on the '13 GTL, actually.

I was down for a year conquering cancer, plus I built my K13GT as my LD Rally bike so that was getting the most big miles.

I did put 60K miles on my '12 GTL in 18 months, but that bike is long gone now...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not all that many miles on the '13 GTL, actually. ... I did put 60K miles on my '12 GTL in 18 months, but that bike is long gone now...
I have no reason to be but I am disappointed. Like @Darbinco, my first thought was "I want to read Meese's 1/2 million mile report. He probably did 200K on two K1600s!"

This is like finding out that Ranse Stoddard didn't shoot Liberty Valance. Instead it was a k13, um, I mean Tom Doniphon.

I will never let my k16 see this post and find out the hero of The Man Who Rode 1000s of Miles was really a...I won't even write it. Is this whole forum a lie! I have to go re-evaluate the meaning of the k16.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Has there ever been a 250K-mile K bike? I had a /6 that went 180K.
I doubt it. 250K in nine years would be a lot of riding.I am close the 100K in 5 years but probably won't make it.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Has there ever been a 250K-mile K bike? I had a /6 that went 180K.
I know of a K1200LT that went 330K miles before being taken out by an old lady doing a blind u-turn...

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I know of a K1200LT that went 330K miles before being taken out by an old lady doing a blind u-turn...
Ugh!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts