BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
It does work very nice with practice. I have taken ResQU's sage advice and start with it still engaged with no problems what so ever. I just needed to be more patient and stay in the friction zone for a split second longer that usual... using it more and its second nature now. Thanks Much...

It’s even more smooth when in Rain mode. Which is how I ride 2up. Rain mode helps with helmet bumps during shifting. My wife doesn’t care for a spirited ride so if I want her with me then I tone it down....happy wife, happy life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I too thought it was a feature that I wouldn't use much but I find myself using it quite a lot. I find it's easier to use than the lower part of my legs against the foot pegs to keep the bike still.
Would have LOVED to have it on my '12 while riding 2-up in San Francisco. Didn't stall the bike but likely reduced my clutch pack's life by several "regular riding" months that day. Especially considering my Friction Zone changes position quite significantly on a regular basis. (Sometimes as often as being in a different place from one block to the next.)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I have a new to me Hill Start assist on my 2014 K1600GTLE. The manual doesn't tell me how to use the hill start assist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just went through this today on my 2018 GTL. I pulled it once and than pulled the brake lever a second time kinda firm. An H than lit up on the dash and it held. One pull didn't seem to activate it. It took 2 times on my bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a new to me Hill Start assist on my 2014 K1600GTLE. The manual doesn't tell me how to use the hill start assist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Am positive it's in the owners manual.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a problem with hill start until, with some training, I realized that releasing the clutch and adding gas should not be quite a simultaneous process. Try to lead with clutch release slowly and then keep adding as little gas as necessary to hear the same rpm-s. It is the clutch release, that at one point, releases the brake.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I thought it’s linked to the bikes ABS. When it senses wheel movement it releases....the ABS light flashes on the instrument display. If it was the clutch lever, (micro switch) it would release while your in neutral and lever released....

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Am positive it's in the owners manual.

First page of the Table of Contents has "Hill Start Control" listed along with the page number.

Here is the text (pictures provided in manual):
Using Hill Start Control
Apply brake lever 1 firmly and then release.
The indicator lamp for Hill Start Control appears on the display.
Hill Start Control has been activated.
To turn off Hill Start Control, pull brake lever 1 again. Alternatively, drive off in 1st or 2nd gear.​

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Is the Hill Start assist a software function that can be uploaded to the K16 if it didn’t come with the feature from the factory?

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have to say, when I first heard of hill start I thought " Great just something else to break, who would use it"?
Well...…..my GTL is a heavy bike and exiting my own country road is a little challenging.
IF there is any traffic I find my self using the hill start.

Once you get the knack it is no big deal.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Is the Hill Start assist a software function that can be uploaded to the K16 if it didn’t come with the feature from the factory?

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
It's just a software change but not for your 2013 or below. They change something with the ABS pump/stem. My dealer tried to get it for me but found only 2014 & after.

I LOVE the hill assist, especially 2 up in the mountains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Happened to me at a property entry gate that was slow to open, grabbed handful of front brake and then tried to roll throttle only to stall. Of course I wasn't the only one at the gate. There was a line of vehicles behind me...Can be nerve racking if you're not prepared and people can be so mean for no reason.:frown:0:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought it’s linked to the bikes ABS. When it senses wheel movement it releases....the ABS light flashes on the instrument display. If it was the clutch lever, (micro switch) it would release while your in neutral and lever released....
The clutch lever has 2 switch positions it's the full in one that controls hill start.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I had never used it before including in San Francisco on Lombard ST in the rain. I was reading this thread and decided to try it and have fallen in love with it. Pissed I haven't used it before, works great!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had forgotten I had this accessory on my '18 GTL. Was out on a ride yesterday, and while at a stop light, I noticed the "H". Took me a few seconds to realize what it was, but had no idea how I had moved it into H. As I remember now, I stalled the bike leaving the stop light. Thanks to you guys, I know now how to properly use this feature:)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Hi guys,

My 2018 GTL's Hill Start was unreliable at best. When activated it showed a white 'H' logo. As a result of reading these pages I persuaded my dealer to update the software. The 'H' logo is now GREEN and the Hill Start works consistently. As a bonus my 'OK/Check' Oil virtually never worked. Post update it now works every time.

Maybe your bike does not have this update?

Safe riding.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good thing also of hill start, is that the brake lights are on when you activate, good for trafic coming behind!
Regarding white or green logo, I think this is due to have it in automatic mode or manual mode.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
The latest update fixes the hill start problems and does away with several alerts that came through the Nav on a less than perfect hill start. Hill start light now green after the update.

Reactions: afhorsley

·
Registered
136 Posts
The clutch lever has 2 switch positions it's the full in one that controls hill start.

Well it must have something to do with clutch as how can it sense wheel movement when the wheel is locked.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
The latest update fixes the hill start problems and does away with several alerts that came through the Nav on a less than perfect hill start. Hill start light now green after the update.
Yep, completely fixed my Hill Start issues and it also seems to disengage a lot smoother now.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts