BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hill start on my 2015 GTL disengages after about 30 seconds. It's just started doing it. Any ideas why? The battery is only a couple of years old and it stays on a battery all the time when it's parked.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Yep, had that happen on my 2013. Unfortunately, required an adjustment at the BMW Dealer. Have no idea what they did but, it was corrected.

Heard there is a new update for the newer models. Maybe also for older K1600'S like yours & mine???

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
May be a totally unrelated cause but my '18 B did that all the time but a trip to my BMW dealer and a software update fixed the issue. It has worked flawlessly since.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It does need a software update to fix it. I had a long battle with BMW which included them sending a technician from BMW UK, not the dealer, before they finally admitted it was a software problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The new 2019 up has a much better system in that it works on both up and downhill.plus applies with braking with your foot or hand and releases just by pulling away as you would normally do. I was never a fan of the hill start on my 2017 GTL but the newer system works fine and dandy lo.

·
Registered
690 Posts
May be a totally unrelated cause but my '18 B did that all the time but a trip to my BMW dealer and a software update fixed the issue. It has worked flawlessly since.
I would say it is a software upgrade that would fix it as well .

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I use my hill start every time I come to a stop at a traffic light. Just in case someone hits me from behind I know there's a chance I won't be pushed out into traffic. But I did find with the Bren tune hill start only worked in neutral and the second I put it in gear it shut off which isn't the way it's supposed to work.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
..... But I did find with the Bren tune hill start only worked in neutral and the second I put it in gear it shut off which isn't the way it's supposed to work.
I wonder if anyone has reported this issue to Bren. I agree that it's definitely not supposed to work that way. That pretty much defeats the intended purpose of the feature.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I wonder if anyone has reported this issue to Bren. I agree that it's definitely not supposed to work that way. That pretty much defeats the intended purpose of the feature.
Yes I have reported it to Bren, but right now I'm having a pissing contest with them about switching the hand held tuner to my new GT. After owning the tuner for 6 months they want another $295 to send the unlock code and the new maps which I think is totally outrageous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes I have reported it to Bren, but right now I'm having a pissing contest with them about switching the hand held tuner to my new GT. After owning the tuner for 6 months they want another $295 to send the unlock code and the new maps which I think is totally outrageous.
I understand how frustrating that can be and you feel like you're getting raked over the coals by BT. If I may, let me shed a bit of light on the subject. First, they have to keep the lights on somehow and the best way for them to do that is provide a service, and charge for it. That's how most business operate.
Anywho. In comparison, car tuners, like COBB, Stratified and such, do the same exact thing. They don't make any money on the hardware because the number of units they sell is very minimal and take a larger number of units to break even. Their profits come from selling tunes and services, and you are essentially asking them to cut you a deal or give it to you for free(I don't know what deal you are trying to strike).
COBB will NOT let you transfer a tuner from one car to another, once it's married to the car, it stays with that for for life. You total the car, the tuner is good as garbage, or you extract the ECU and put it in a new ride. The fact Bren allows you to transfer from vehicle to vehicle, blows my mind. That's service!! You should be thanking them for not charging you for a whole new unit. Tuners are not like OBD readers where you can use then on multiple vehicles. Tuners are very specific to one vehicle, which I'm sure you know.
Anyway, Bren and other tuners have a lot of overhead with R&D, usually cater to a niche market, and their product lines are limited, so they have to make money where they can. If you don't like their product, don't buy it. If you do, you have to pay to play. You can afford a 1600, I don't think $300 bucks will break the bank, and it HELPS Bren stay in business making awesome tunes for our bikes!! :)

One other thing to note. Bren is not cheap. Compared to other companies that sell the same sort of thing, they are a good 40% more expensive. But with that said I think $300 to marry your tuner to a different bike is a good deal. I would do that in a heart beat if I got a new bike. On the plus side, your old bike will still keep it's existing tune, even tho you will not be able to update it.

-Drew

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I understand how frustrating that can be and you feel like you're getting raked over the coals by BT. If I may, let me shed a bit of light on the subject. First, they have to keep the lights on somehow and the best way for them to do that is provide a service, and charge for it. That's how most business operate.
Anywho. In comparison, car tuners, like COBB, Stratified and such, do the same exact thing. They don't make any money on the hardware because the number of units they sell is very minimal and take a larger number of units to break even. Their profits come from selling tunes and services, and you are essentially asking them to cut you a deal or give it to you for free(I don't know what deal you are trying to strike).
COBB will NOT let you transfer a tuner from one car to another, once it's married to the car, it stays with that for for life. You total the car, the tuner is good as garbage, or you extract the ECU and put it in a new ride. The fact Bren allows you to transfer from vehicle to vehicle, blows my mind. That's service!! You should be thanking them for not charging you for a whole new unit. Tuners are not like OBD readers where you can use then on multiple vehicles. Tuners are very specific to one vehicle, which I'm sure you know.
Anyway, Bren and other tuners have a lot of overhead with R&D, usually cater to a niche market, and their product lines are limited, so they have to make money where they can. If you don't like their product, don't buy it. If you do, you have to pay to play. You can afford a 1600, I don't think $300 bucks will break the bank, and it HELPS Bren stay in business making awesome tunes for our bikes!! :)

One other thing to note. Bren is not cheap. Compared to other companies that sell the same sort of thing, they are a good 40% more expensive. But with that said I think $300 to marry your tuner to a different bike is a good deal. I would do that in a heart beat if I got a new bike. On the plus side, your old bike will still keep it's existing tune, even tho you will not be able to update it.

-Drew
I'm sure you've heard of SCT flash tuners. You can use it on multiple vehicles as long as you return the current vehicle back to the stock map. It'll reset and be ready to use on the next vehicle. I've been using the same SCT tuner through multiple new Mustangs. You don't think all these tuner manufacturers don't Dyno vehicles to come up with the most efficient map for each vehicle. I can take a HD race tuner and send it to a source I have for $100 have it reset and ready to marry to a different bike. The problem I have with Bren's policy is that these are not custom maps and truth be known aren't delivering HP and Torque specs advertised. All I really want out of the Bren map is full throttle the rest will take care of itself. So taking a vin number and inserting it into a map is worth $295, I don't think so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2019 B has the Brentune stage 2 and my Hill Start Control Pro engages/disengages without any problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Noting your frustration with paying for a unlock code. I have to agree with the remarks about being lucky to be able to take it to another bike and being able to at the least get a unlock code. I had 2 Dynajet Power Visions on my 2 Roadmasters along with custom dyno tunes and they don't allow you to have them unlocked. Well that's now been resolved with the upgrade and you can take the tuner to another bike but both cost me over a $1,000.00 AUD with the custom Dyno tunes and when I sold the bikes they had to go with the bike free as they could not be used on another bike. So at least I would be happy if I had a chance to pay a small fee to unlock my tuner and use it on other bikes. I am not having a go at you but as mentioned Bren need to pay the bills and still survive, I knew the terms and policy of the DynoJet Power Visions before I bought them so I can not say anything against the terms and policy of the company as it is their business to sell and make money the same as any other such as Bren.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2019 K1600GT. I just had the 12,000 mile service performed, and noticed the hill start disengaged when I had my heated gear (heated insoles, pants liner, jacket, and gloves) plugged in and on. When I turned off my heated gear, the hill start worked properly. I had the same issue with my 2015 K1600GT. I noticed when the heated gear is on, the engine RPM fluctuates, and go up and down. When I return to the dealership, I'll ask them to look at it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2019 K1600GT. I just had the 12,000 mile service performed, and noticed the hill start disengaged when I had my heated gear (heated insoles, pants liner, jacket, and gloves) plugged in and on. When I turned off my heated gear, the hill start worked properly. I had the same issue with my 2015 K1600GT. I noticed when the heated gear is on, the engine RPM fluctuates, and go up and down. When I return to the dealership, I'll ask them to look at it.
Thanks that may be my problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Yep, if you have several heated items running (at less than full setting), they will eventually sync and go from off to on at the same time. This load causes the bike rpm's to drop enough to release the brake. Seen it many times.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Noting your frustration with paying for a unlock code. I have to agree with the remarks about being lucky to be able to take it to another bike and being able to at the least get a unlock code. I had 2 Dynajet Power Visions on my 2 Roadmasters along with custom dyno tunes and they don't allow you to have them unlocked. Well that's now been resolved with the upgrade and you can take the tuner to another bike but both cost me over a $1,000.00 AUD with the custom Dyno tunes and when I sold the bikes they had to go with the bike free as they could not be used on another bike. So at least I would be happy if I had a chance to pay a small fee to unlock my tuner and use it on other bikes. I am not having a go at you but as mentioned Bren need to pay the bills and still survive, I knew the terms and policy of the DynoJet Power Visions before I bought them so I can not say anything against the terms and policy of the company as it is their business to sell and make money the same as any other such as Bren.
The whole problem is work vs value. If it takes them longer then 5 minutes to prepare the canned map to e-mail out then they're sleeping on the job. I've already paid for the tuner and the maps once. My B that I traded in got returned to the stock map which should have released the marriage. It didn't. The tuner is waiting for an unlock code which is BS.
An Excerpt from the Bren site:

Can I use the BrenTuning Moto handheld tuner on more than one motorcycle?

No and Yes. The BrenTuning Moto handheld tuner is VIN locked to the first motorcycle it flashes. This means any other motorcycle cannot use the handheld tuner. HOWEVER, should you decide to put the motorcycle back to the stock mapping, you're able to unpair it. The only way to use the BrenTuning Moto handheld tuner on another motorcycle is to unpair it from the first motorcycle.

Now if they were looking for a nominal fee of $100 I'd have no problem with it because that's all it's worth at this point. And as I type this it's been 2 days and no reply from Bren basically because they probably didn't like what I had to say in the e-mail or here in this forum. That's not the way to do any kind of business.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I see what you're saying and with the excerpt, you added I would consider what you're saying and accept that $100.00 would be an acceptable amount. I know that when I tried to get the DynoJet unpaired to take to my other Roadmaster the dealership told me that cost was out of control and not worth bothering about. So silly me I did the same thing but had to admit the tuner and custom tune got rid of all the rough generic tuning spots from the manufacturer. Then they upgraded the Powervision to a unit that could be used on more than one bike under the same license. My loss but the lesson for me regardless out of all that was I won't be buying any more aftermarket tuning devise regardless of how well they can be tuned to smooth out the rough ome or generic tuning of any bike. I now do and practice what I was told as a child by my father bless him and may he rest in peace. Buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Are you powering your heated gear off the CANBUS circuit or a separate circuit to the battery?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It doesn't matter where the heated gear is connected. The load on the alternator is what's causing the RPM drop.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts