BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to BMW Motorrad and also not familiar with the Bren tune, but such an issue of complete throttle loss doesn't/wouldn't happen on a stock K1600 WITHOUT the Bren tune, correct? To me that automatically sounds "tune" related. Some of the comments re: drive by wire...the engine is great but nothing else, ETC, Really? I know anything/everything CAN happen, but this can't be anything common with any motorcycle...at least I wouldn't think so. Good luck finding out.
This can happen to the K1600 if the throttle lost communication with the computer. In my case the dealer cleaned out each and every pin on the connector cable. There was a protective coating on the pins to prevent oxidation applied from the manufacturer due to the long wait prior to actual assembly. BMW was supposed clean the pins during the assembly process but some apparently were not. This can cause an intermittent contact and will cause a computer fault code about the loss of communication with the throttle. In my case it was under warranty but highly inconvenient. 20K miles later still good to go.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The long time riders should remember similar issues with the throttle several years ago. I believe it was loss of communication between the throttle control and the ECU. I don't recall what they did to fix the issue. This was around the time that one had to be careful about letting a K1600 sit in hot sunlight and overheating the handle bar controls. I used to laugh because you got used to seeing anyone riding a K1600 putting cool, wet towels over the handlebar controls when parked in the sun.

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
So I live about 75 miles straight west of downtown Chicago. Was out for a ride last friday and and put on about 350 miles on the back roads. Thought I would make some time by taking I90 home, (mistake). On my way home about 6pm (dark out) coming down I90 at 80mph (flow of traffic) and had a complete loss of throttle. Nothing like dead sticking it through 4 lanes of traffic at 80mph, luckily I had a spot to IMMEDIATELY get out of the way of sure death. Turned the bike off and turned it back on and all was good. Anybody else experience anything like this ?? 2018B Stage 2 Bren

OT- do you know Dennis Celletti by any chance? I was acquainted with him in the IL ARNG.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It happened to me 3 times on the way to work one day. This was in late 2013 with a new-to-me 2012 that had under 5,000 miles. It was still under warranty, I called roadside assistance and told them to pick it up, take it to a dealer, and don't call me until it was fixed. They looked at it, no codes, couldn't replicate the failure, so asked if a tech could take it home and see if it misbehaved - sure enough, it didn't even get out of the parking lot before it happened.

Ultimately they replaced one of the controller boxes and did a software update, it took several months before I was confident that they'd really fixed it, but it was always in the back of my mind. I put another 25,000 miles on it and traded it for an RT. I was sorry to give up that sweet inline-6, but overall the boxer and the bike built around it suits me better.

·
Upside Down
1,650 Posts
Got to love drive by wire....I don't trust these bikes. As a retired pilot I don't trust fly by wire either.......I'm in my lane and I own it.....
It would come down to the wire in that case lol.

Reactions: hagrid and RDeweger

·
Upside Down
1,650 Posts
The long time riders should remember similar issues with the throttle several years ago. I believe it was loss of communication between the throttle control and the ECU. I don't recall what they did to fix the issue. This was around the time that one had to be careful about letting a K1600 sit in hot sunlight and overheating the handle bar controls. I used to laugh because you got used to seeing anyone riding a K1600 putting cool, wet towels over the handlebar controls when parked in the sun.

Rick H.
Don't forget he also mentioned the Bren Tune so either one could have been the issue or just a simple glitch with the power to both the ECU and throttle.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not the first time we hear of this serious issue. 80mph on a busy freeway and all power is suddenly lost? I’d be more than a little pissed too...

·
Q
5,347 Posts
I dunno, I think I can understand why the OP wants to get rid of a bike that's already tried to kill him once. Why risk it again?
I do know the OP never mentioned selling his bike...

My comment was in reference to ickyoldmans post..

Tell me.. are you going to sell your bike because Jeff had a problem with his?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, I know. My pillion is the most sarcastic btch you ever want to know. Just tryin to have a little fun with the words (fat a$$es). Iguess I failed. Over&Out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do know the OP never mentioned selling his bike...

My comment was in reference to ickyoldmans post..

Tell me.. are you going to sell your bike because Jeff had a problem with his?
I might, if I were already unhappy with the bike for other reasons.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for all the posts guys. UPDATE !! So I talked to the tech at my dealer and evidentially he has seen this before and said he has seen it on bone stock bikes so the Bren Tune is a non issue at this point. He said cleaning the contact points should do the trick but will check out other possibilities when I take the bike in Nov 28th. On a side note, I am definitely not selling the bike guys, absolutely love this bike with the Bren Stage 2. Just need to get this widow maker problem under control for sure

Reactions: HAROLDNOID

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Some things:

Thing 1: Understand what "limp mode" is, and what it does. It is disturbing, but it is NOT zero power.
Thing 2: Stop trying to guess what would cause it or what could fix it. Many, MANY things could cause it. "cleaning the contact points" to fix it is a pointless notion in the absence of real-world troubleshooting.
Thing 3: Reading the code that caused it (make note of the date, time and mileage) is the only rational place to start in troubleshooting.
Thing 4: Limp mode gives no warning, it just happens. It need not be exceptionally dangerous if you already understand what it is and how it acts, as you navigate to a safe place to stop.
Thing 5: Some fault conditions are "hard" and will repeat limp mode as soon as you restart the bike. Others are not so repeatable and may vanish for long periods of time, maybe even being a 1-time incident. And everything in-between. Be logical about it rather than emotional, and try to make rational decisions about how to respond.

Regards,

A 2-time limp mode sufferer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some things:

Thing 1: Understand what "limp mode" is, and what it does. It is disturbing, but it is NOT zero power.
Thing 2: Stop trying to guess what would cause it or what could fix it. Many, MANY things could cause it. "cleaning the contact points" to fix it is a pointless notion in the absence of real-world troubleshooting.
Thing 3: Reading the code that caused it (make note of the date, time and mileage) is the only rational place to start in troubleshooting.
Thing 4: Limp mode gives no warning, it just happens. It need not be exceptionally dangerous if you already understand what it is and how it acts, as you navigate to a safe place to stop.
Thing 5: Some fault conditions are "hard" and will repeat limp mode as soon as you restart the bike. Others are not so repeatable and may vanish for long periods of time, maybe even being a 1-time incident. And everything in-between. Be logical about it rather than emotional, and try to make rational decisions about how to respond.

Regards,

Limp mode, is that mentioned in the manual? And if the engine cuts out, why would pulling in the clutch and pressing the start button not work? Is the engine still running in limp mode? Pulling in the clutch, the RPM's will drop to zero, thus safe to give restart a try.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Some things:

Regards,

Thanks for the heads up.
1. My situation was not limp mode. Total loss of throttle
2. I'm not guessing, hence why I am taking it to the dealer. The "Tech" mentioned cleaning the contacts but also said he would do a complete check of all things that he believes could cause the total loss of throttle. Fault code should give him a good idea. I will report back with the findings as I believe this to be a huge issue and possibly fatal

21 - 40 of 47 Posts