BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I live about 75 miles straight west of downtown Chicago. Was out for a ride last friday and and put on about 350 miles on the back roads. Thought I would make some time by taking I90 home, (mistake). On my way home about 6pm (dark out) coming down I90 at 80mph (flow of traffic) and had a complete loss of throttle. Nothing like dead sticking it through 4 lanes of traffic at 80mph, luckily I had a spot to IMMEDIATELY get out of the way of sure death. Turned the bike off and turned it back on and all was good. Anybody else experience anything like this ?? 2018B Stage 2 Bren
That happened to me about 2 months ago while riding through the Black Hills. The local dealer took a look and replaced the throttle body under warranty. I was back on the road with no problems again after that.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
1. My situation was not limp mode. Total loss of throttle

What you described was exactly limp mode. Limp mode IS total loss of throttle. It pegs the engine RPM to exactly 1500, and completely ignores throttle input.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
SteveJ
I don't recall saying the bike pegged at 1500rpm. The bike did go straight to idle which is around 900rpms. This is why i said it did not go into limp mode

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had this happen on one of my old bikes a couple times. It would cut out from time to time. Turns out it was a power commander I put on it. The battery connections got loose. If I leaned a certain way the thing would cut out. It wasn’t a throttle by wire bike,but the throttle bodies are electronically controlled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
UPDATE !! Took the bike to the dealer this morning to get the brake system flushed and had them check the issue with the throttle loss I experienced. They came back with no codes found and had no explanation ? They did re program the DME with PUMA measure and reset throttle adaptations. I hope this thing don't decide to do it again when I am in a compromising situation. This is now potentially the most dangerous bike I have ever ridden 💣

Reactions: ickyoldman
41 - 47 of 47 Posts