BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spring I will be heading up to visit the Valley Forge Park and then heading up to New Brunswick, NJ to tour some other historic landmarks - does anyone have any bike friendly places to stay in those two areas? I know there are a gaggle of Hamptons and so forth but I am looking for clean, 1 story, park outside your door type motels if they exist.

Also, any interesting waypoints along that route?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
New Brunswick is not the nicest area. I would look more towards Morristown NJ which is not far but a nicer area.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Princeton area is pretty nice, and you could visit the University while you're there.

Princeton Marriot at Forrestal, for example, is advertised on Booking.com for $89/night. It's on 25 wooded acres across from the campus, has a 24hr gym, 2 restaurants, etc. If I'm not mistaken, there is a Ruth's Chris Steak House right there (will cost more than the room, no doubt).

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
The nice thing about New Brunswick is that there's a good BMW dealer Cross Country BMW. https://www.crosscountrycycle.net/ So if you need anything for you or your bike they're a great resource.

New Brunswick is a busy and populated suburban area as is Morristown which is about 40 minutes away. However Morristown is less busy and further from NYC. Princeton is a beautiful area. In all areas be careful of the local constables, some have a sense of humor some don't. As a general rule the further you are from NYC the better the riding, including traffic and road conditions, though nothing compares to NYC for sight seeing and shopping. But NYC is not an ideal place to go riding, trust me I know! Have fun! FYI: there are mandatory helmet laws in place in NJ.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Only going to be in New Brunswick for a half-day to visit a couple of historical sites so I probably won't spend the night there. When I leave there, I will be heading down towards Cape May and catching the ferry and head back south. Will probably spend the night somewhere in South Jersey.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like my trip is finally going to happen in early to mid September.

Anybody have any experience with these roads - tips, suggestions, alternate routes, stops, etc.?

Trying to find the best curvys and also avoid interstates, cities, dirt/gravel roads, etc..

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I do my absolute best to avoid NJ at all cost. Don't know of any roads that are incredible but know of too many that are horrible. Plus, their gun laws get you locked up just for saying the word gun.
Pa, on the other hand, has an absolute TON of great roads and their gun laws are excellent. Stay off the slab and find great twisty back roads and you'll be fine.
We just did the North Central part of pa called Pennsylvania's Grand canyon and it was a great time. Go up and check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We just did the North Central part of pa called Pennsylvania's Grand canyon and it was a great time. Go up and check it out.
I see that it is just west of my route layout so if I have the time I will add that to my loop.

I have been through PA lots of times in a cage - beautiful state.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Pa is a great state for roads although I've only done them in a car, but I've done many. Just be prepared for the Deer !! Seems to be the one state I've always either seen them running near the interstate or completely dead on the interstate. There are many in the keystone state!

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Pa is a great state for roads although I've only done them in a car, but I've done many. Just be prepared for the Deer !! Seems to be the one state I've always either seen them running near the interstate or completely dead on the interstate. There are many in the keystone state!
Last year we had planned out this little road, found out it was closed (surprise, no warning) and had to detour. We get a mile in and there is a deer crossing sign, with a dead deer directly across from it in the middle of the road, 400 yards later around a few bends and the road is covered in deer, live ones this time, it was like driving through sheep. PA roads are amazing, 5 days of riding, and saw maybe 100 cars the whole time the bulk of those were around the little towns there would be stretches were we would not see a car for an hour or more.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Looks like my trip is finally going to happen in early to mid September.

Anybody have any experience with these roads - tips, suggestions, alternate routes, stops, etc.?

Trying to find the best curvys and also avoid interstates, cities, dirt/gravel roads, etc..

Thanks.
We are also doing a mid-sept ride in PA, coming down from Ontario, and staying in wellsboro or Mansfield. I will PM you our furkot maps. We get closed to you on your return trip I think it is where we go up from bloomsberg (buddy wants to stop at bills bike barn) and then up through rickets glenn and worlds end state parks. Just to the west of your routes is some of the best riding in PA. The 144/44/414 are all great, especially the 144 to kettle creek rd, to 144 north up through old bull state park (oleona). I like that route north to south as it builds up from scenery to twisties but it works in both directions.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have a lot of deer here in the SE too. Even in heavily populated metro Atlanta on major thoroughfares.

Texting cagers are more plentiful and dangerous though. :serious:

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just be prepared for the Deer !! Seems to be the one state I've always either seen them running near the interstate or completely dead on the interstate. There are many in the keystone state!
Might have to watch "The Deer Hunter" again before I leave.:wink: Or, at least the first and last parts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am from Central Jersey and do have to agree with the others. NJ roads are crowded especially in rush hours, morning and evening commuters. Also, lots of roads are not in good shapes. NJ TPK and Parkway are great. New Brunswick can be challenged staying overnight when the bike is in a hotel's parking lot. I do not know of any motels for bikers. PA roads are wonderful to ride and lean on traffic. RT. 17 is wonderful for a bike. Also, stay away from the NJ shores on the weekend. 100% crazy !!!! Another note: most indoor garages do not take motorcycles and do not park on the same spot with another car in a paid parking spots. Best routes for bikes are in North West Jersey like Mount Vernon. Happy riding !!!

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am from Central Jersey and do have to agree with the others. NJ roads are crowded especially in rush hours, morning and evening commuters. Also, lots of roads are not in good shapes. NJ TPK and Parkway are great. New Brunswick can be challenged staying overnight when the bike is in a hotel's parking lot. I do not know of any motels for bikers. PA roads are wonderful to ride and lean on traffic. RT. 17 is wonderful for a bike. Also, stay away from the NJ shores on the weekend. 100% crazy !!!! Another note: most indoor garages do not take motorcycles and do not park on the same spot with another car in a paid parking spots. Best routes for bikes are in North West Jersey like Mount Vernon. Happy riding !!!
Thanks. I am probably going to ride from Montgomeryville (PA) to New Brunswick via backroads and most likely it will be on a Saturday so I will avoid the commuter traffic and school buses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts