BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 2013 GTL today and rode home. I was so excited I forgot to ask while I was at the dealer. I want to remove the Hexacone baffles; can someone tell me if this is as simple as remove the hex bolt and it just pulls out or is there some difficulty involved?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Little bit of lube (WD40) helps. But just have to tug out while shifting left/right/up/down.
What do you tug on? I tried pulling mine out but couldn't grip them anywhere...even with little needle nose pliers I couldn't get a bite on the baffle. I figured you just have to remove the muffler and push it out. I didn't want them out that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks guys

AZ that's exactly why I asked the question; I couldn't resist so I went out with a flashlight and took a quick look. I saw the hex bolt but wondered if I had to remove the muffler and push it out to if it could be pulled out. I'm gonna pull first then push if I have too

Thanks again
Donald

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
I use a wand from a car wash wand. It has a little larger tip so I just stick it in and pullout the baffle. It takes a couple of quick pulls and they pop out.

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
Here is a picture.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My baffle looks like AZs. On the right side muffler, I removed the hex screw, stuck 2 fingers in the hole, wiggled it and it came right out.... a 3 minute job.

On the left muffler, the hex screw seemed to be a bit stripped already and on top of that it appeared to be frozen in place by the paint/powder coating. Nonetheless I tried to get it loose with the allen wrench but to no avail. I had to drill it out. Once I got that done I did the 2 finger method and it came right out.

Now the sound is a deep full rumble... not loud; i love it!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
well after all that - how do you like the sound ?

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,427 Posts
If some who just bought a system are confused, my understanding is that now, you have to drill them out of the new cans, what with Remus USA being located in Cali., but anything that came on a bike from 2013 should have been long before.

My 2019-made Blackhawk (just a different tip on a Hexacone) is different from my older Hexacone I put on my K1200S, which pops out as described above.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
@dobervol, I used a Dremel tool to grind away just enough of the spot weld to remove the baffles. Easy-peasy.

Reactions: dobervol
1 - 17 of 17 Posts