BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Since I had a day to kill I decided to test something : I wanted to know how far I could go with one full tank of gas, driving as smoothly as possible.
So here we go !

The trip :

So you are a bit spoiled by looking at the map, but there is more ;)

Video before the trip with some info :
Video once the trip was done :

As you can see, I was able to reach the 600km threshold, with only 29km remaining. I did not try to go further since I did not take any extra gas with me in the top case.
Some info:
  • Hours riding : 6h54
  • Average speed : 83km/h - 52mph
  • Rest : 1h
  • Mileage : 4L/100 - 58mpg
  • Max autonomy displayed : 595km/369 miles (and I was already 100km in)
  • Max theorical range achievable : 745km/463 miles (I was 185km in my journey and the autonomy displayed was 540km)
  • Actual km done with one tank : 600.4km (372 miles)
Was it useful ? Not really...
Was it funny to do ? In a way yes... I was curious !

I don't know what else to say :geek: If anyone was wondering how far you could go with a K1600, you now have a pretty good idea.

Note : It can be improved, I had to pass some trucks, I had to cross cities with traffic light, driving 1st and 2nd gear... So maybe the 700km bar is reachable !

Cheers !

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I don't usually reach 40mpg. Admittedly, I'm not trying and, consequently, I'm not as smooth. I don't know that I have the patience to endeavor and endure. But I think it's cool that you were able to do so!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
220 miles / 345 km is average per tank, and you've done it on flat tyres, 9psi below recommended

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I don't usually reach 40mpg. Admittedly, I'm not trying and, consequently, I'm not as smooth. I don't know that I have the patience to endeavor and endure. But I think it's cool that you were able to do so!
Over a mostly flat area, nice highway but not superslab, deciding to see what I could do, according to the bike, I averaged just over 70 mph for a couple hours to pass the time on an othewise boring ride.

That said, with all the twisties and mountains I ride, my overall average stays around 35. The stark difference between how and where I LIKE to ride, and what mileage you can manage under near perfect conditions and riding it on purpose to save fuel, was a revelation to me.

It reminded me of that competition they once had on the good, OLD Top Gear where they each took 8 cy. M3s, and had a competition to see who could make theirs go the farthest.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I don't think I could get near 58 on a flat course if I tried...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2015 K1600GT and my buddy had a 2012 K1600GTL, and we squeezed 340 miles on a tank. We were riding thru the Ozarks in Arkansas. I was down to about 20 miles to empty. After that I never got over 300 miles. I usually get 240 miles between fill ups.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I never get off the bike either. A leftover habit from when I competed in IBR's that I just cant break. Seems unnatural to dismount for gas.

·
Registered
340 Posts
About 150 miles with the wife on the back. The tank still has another 75-95 miles in it but for some reason the back of my head starts to get a jarring pain in the back of it from getting whomped up side head when it's time to pull over to "get gas" with the book she's reading.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Around here (Missouri) I average around 240 miles per tank. That, of course, goes up significantly when riding at higher elevations. It goes down when I'm riding hard and fast.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I did a day riding on Tuesday 640 klms. won't tell you the average speed but I don't really ride to conserve fuel, it is more about enjoying what the roads have to offer if it is safe to do so. Over the 640klms. I averaged 5.1 ltrs. per 100 klms. Australian Ltrs. then converting that I think this will be close 46.1 MPG USA Gallons or 55.4 MPG U.K. Gallons. My bike is still new and this was to do the last klms. to run it in so with a tight motor I would expect it to gain slightly better once it loosens up with more klms. under its belt. If I were a good boy and rode slower and to conserve fuel I would have expected marginally better but then again I love to ride to enjoy the bike on twisty roads and long sweeping bends so that always wins over conserving fuel. A greenie I am not lol :sick::p:cool::censored:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts